23 HARLINGTON (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XV, S.W. (b)XX, N.W.)
Harlington is a parish and village 5 m. S.E. of
Uxbridge. The church is the principal monument.
b(1) Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
(Plate 4) stands near the middle of the parish. The
walls are of flint rubble with some iron-stone conglomerate and the dressings are of Reigate stone; the
roofs are tiled. The Nave was built about the middle
of the 12th century. The Chancel was added or re-built
c. 1340 and the West Tower is a late 15th-century addition;
the South Porch was added early in the 16th century.
The tower was restored in 1867 and the church in
1880 when the North Aisle was added.
The S. doorway is a good example of 12th-century
work and among the fittings the Easter Sepulchre and
the font are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22¼ ft. by
15½ ft.) has an E. window, all modern except the 14th-century splays and rear-arch and two head-stops re-set
on the outside; in the gable is a small trefoiled opening.
In the N. wall are two partly restored 14th-century
windows each of three trefoiled ogee lights with tracery
in a two-centred head with a moulded label and headstops; the second window is not visible internally
and below it is a modern opening to the organ-chamber.
In the S. wall are two similar windows, the western
partly restored. The chancel-arch is modern.
The Nave (44¾ ft. by 20 ft.) has a modern N. arcade.
In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern of late
14th-century date, partly restored and of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head
with a modern label; the western window is a single
round-headed light of the 12th century enlarged in
the 16th century. The partly restored 12th-century S.
doorway (Plates 134, 6) has a round arch of four orders
with a label enriched with linked roundels; the innermost order is plain and continued down the jambs; the
second order has cheveron-ornament and the third an
enriched roll and beak-head ornament in the form of
lions' heads; both these orders spring from restored
shafts with old foliated or scalloped capitals and
enriched abaci; the outermost order has embattled
ornament continued on the jambs below the enriched
impost and flanked by outer enriched shafts below the
Harlington - Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
The North Aisle is modern but incorporates some
re-set old features; in the E. wall is an early 16th-century doorway with hollow-chamfered jambs and
four-centred arch; in the N. wall is a much restored
and enlarged 12th-century window of one round-headed light and a 14th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed arch; in the W.
wall is a window similar to the S.E. window in the
The West Tower (12½ ft. square) is of late 15th-century date and of two stages and three storeys with
an embattled parapet and a N.E. turret rising above it.
The two-centred tower-arch is of two moulded orders,
the outer continuous and the inner springing from
attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. In
the S. wall is a modern window. The W. doorway,
restored in cement, has moulded jambs and two-centred arch in a square head with a label and traceried
spandrels enclosing shields; the W. window, also
restored in cement, is of three cinque-foiled lights with
vertical tracery in a two-centred head. The second
storey has a small restored light in the S. and W. walls.
The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a restored window
of two pointed lights in a square head with a label.
The South Porch (Plate 7) is a reconstructed early
16th-century timber structure on modern dwarf brick
walls; it is of two bays and the outer entrance has
moulded posts and four-centred arch in a square head
with pierced spandrels; flanking it on each side are two
open lights with four-centred heads. Each bay of the
sides has three similar lights. The three roof-trusses
were of queen-post type with collar-beams but the innermost truss has been cut away; the middle truss has
braces with foiled spandrels enclosing shields.
The Roof of the chancel is of trussed-rafter type and
probably of the 14th century with some modern repair.
The roof of the nave is of similar type and date, with
Fittings—Bracket: In nave—on S. wall, of oak (Plate
20) semi-octagonal, with foliage and moulded abacus,
14th-century. Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) of
John Monemouthe, rector, , half-effigy of priest
(Plate 8) in mass-vestments and inscription, indent at
E. end of nave; against S. wall, (2) to Gregory Lovell,
1545 and Anne (Bellyngham) his wife, figures of man in
armour with head on helm and of wife in close cap, etc.,
two shields-of-arms, (a) Bellingham quartering Burnes-head, (b) Lovell quartering Cornwall (?) the whole
impaling (a), a third shield now in Easter sepulchre,
indents of daughter, two plates and two other shields;
palimpsest on figures, parts of 15th-century figure of
woman and, on inscription, another inscription to
George Barlee, of the order of St. John of Jerusalem,
1513. Easter Sepulchre: See Monument (1). Font (Plate
9): of Purbeck marble, square bowl with series of
round-headed panels on each face, stem of one central
and four attached round shafts with defaced capitals and
bases on square plinth, late 12th-century. Monuments:
In chancel—against N. wall, (1) combined monument
and Easter sepulchre (Plate 141), consisting of a low
plinth with a canopied recess above enclosing a smaller
recess; plinth modern but formerly incorporating the
slab and brass of Gregory Lovell, 1545; large recess
with moulded and shafted jambs and four-centred arch
in a square head with foliated spandrels, frieze of quatrefoils with running vine-ornament above and cornice
with cresting of alternate fleurs-de-lis and initials Ihs;
smaller recess with moulded jambs and four-centred
arch in a square head; flanking it and below, sinkings
for three brass plates, one sinking with one of the
shields of the Lovell brass, as (b) above, first half of the
16th century; on S. wall, (2) black and white marble
tablet erected by Robert Cooper, rector, 1712, to commemorate the benefactions of Lady Letitia Pointz
c. 1610 and John, Lord Ossulstone, 1691. In nave—
on S. wall, (3) to Sir John Bennett, Lord Ossulstone,
1686 (recte 1694–5) and Elizabeth (Cranfield) and
Bridget (Howe) his wives, black and white marble
wall-monument (Plate 133) with cherub-heads, swags,
gadrooned capping, busts of man and two wives
and cartouche-of-arms. In churchyard—S. of chancel,
(4) to John East, 166., headstone. Painting: In chancel
—on E. splay of S.E. window, faint traces of painting
with remains of black-letter inscription, late mediæval.
Plate: includes a cup and cover-paten and a flagon
all of 1672, paten with shield-of-arms of Bennet,
Lord Ossulstone. Recess: In chancel—in S. wall,
with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head,
probably 14th-century tomb-recess, jambs restored.
b(2) Barn at Church Farm, opposite the church, is
a timber-framed and weather-boarded structure of the
16th or 17th century. It is of five bays with a roof
of queen-post type.
a(3) Dawley Manor Farm, house and barns, 200
yards N.N.E. of the church. The House is of two
storeys, partly timber-framed and partly of brick;
the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 16th century and the E. wing was extended in the 17th century.
Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams
and in the upper storey the original framing is exposed;
it has curved braces to the tie-beams and curved wind-braces. In the E. wing is an original window with
four diamond-shaped mullions. The Barns, to the
S. and S.E. of the house, are timber-framed and have
roofs of queen-post type; they are probably of late
A homestead moat, formerly existing on the opposite
side of the road, has now been filled in.
b(4) Dower House, 970 yards S. of the church, is
of two storeys, partly timber-framed and partly of
brick; the roofs are tiled. The N. half of the main
block was built in the 16th century; the S. part was
added or re-built late in the same century when the
back wing was added; this wing was extended in the
18th century. Two chimney-stacks are of late 16th-century brick. Inside the building there is a late
16th-century moulded ceiling-beam. The original
part has a contemporary roof, with queen-post trusses
and curved wind-braces. There are also four 16th-century doors of moulded battens.