Harrow Weald

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1937

Supporting documents

Page

68

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Harrow Weald', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex (1937), pp. 68. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=121979 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

26 HARROW WEALD (B.b.)

(O.S. 6 in. (a)V, S.E. (b)X, N.E.)

Harrow Weald is a parish on the N. boundary of the county and adjoining Pinner on the E.

Secular

a(1) Priory House, on the S. edge of Bentley Priory Park, has been almost entirely re-built but incorporates the base of a 16th-century brick chimney-stack. The garden-wall is probably of the 17th century. An outbuilding and walls 300 yards to the S. are probably of the same date.

Condition—Good.

Monuments (2–4)

The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled.

Condition—Good or fairly good.

a(2) Seven Bells Inn, 500 yards S.E. of All Saints Church.

b(3) Ashcombe House, cottage S. of Boxtree Lane and over ½ m. S.W. of All Saints church, was built probably early in the 18th century.

b(4) Farm Cottage, 570 yards S.S.E. of (3), has an original chimney-stack with two diagonal shafts. The upper storey projects at the N.E. end.

For Grim's Dyke, see p. xxiii.



<--Previous:
Harrow on the Hill
Next:-->
Hayes