28 HENDON (C.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)VI, S.W. (b)VI, S.E. (c)XI, N.W.
Hendon is a parish and borough adjoining Finchley
on the W. The church is the principal monument.
d(1) Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate 137) stands
near the middle of the parish. The walls are probably
of flint-rubble except the tower which is of rag-stone;
the dressings are of Reigate stone and the roofs are lead-covered. Remains of a 12th-century chancel (16 ft.
by 12 ft.) are said to have been found under the present
chancel in 1929–31. The Chancel and Nave and S.
arcade were re-built about the middle of the 13th century
and the North Aisle may also be of this date. The E.
window was re-built under the will of John Ware, 1408,
and the N. arcade was re-built and the West Tower
added in the same century. The North Chapel was
added or re-built early in the 16th century. In 1827
the chancel-arch was re-built and a S. chapel was added
with a wide arch between it and the chancel, the N.
chapel was heightened and galleries introduced. In
1915 a new chancel and nave were built on the site of
the former S. chapel and aisle and a new S. aisle, porch
and vestries built. The interior has been again restored
The details of the chancel are of some architectural
interest and the font and monuments are noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25 ft. by
17ft.) has 13th-century shafts in the E. angles (Plate 71)
with moulded and foliated capitals from which sprang
chamfered wall-arches; the wall-arch in the E. wall
has been cut into by the early 15th-century E. window;
this is of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery
in a two-centred head; only the springers now remain
of the wall-arches in the side walls; the S. arch is cut
into by the E. jamb of an early 16th-century window
beyond which is the E. splay probably of a 13th-century
window. Further W. on both sides is a wide modern
arch. The chancel-arch is modern.
The North Chapel (24 ft. by 14 ft.) has an early
16th-century E. window of three pointed lights in a
four-centred head with moulded reveals and label.
In the N. wall is a window of the same date and of three
lights in a square head. In the S.W. angle are remains
of what may have been a staircase to the rood-loft.
In the W. wall is a modern window and below it is an
opening with a 15th-century S. respond and a corbel
of the same date on the N. wall.
The Nave (45¼ ft. by 19½ ft.) (Plate 5) has a 15th-century N. arcade of three bays, with two-centred arches
of two chamfered orders, incorporating 13th-century
material; the octagonal piers and semi-octagonal responds have moulded capitals and bases. The mid
13th-century S. arcade is of three bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the octagonal
piers and semi-octagonal responds have moulded capitals
and bases. The clearstorey windows are modern.
The North Aisle (7½ ft. wide) has, in the N. wall, a
partly restored 16th-century window of four pointed
lights in a square head; further W. is a modern doorway. In the W. wall is a window, all modern except
The South Aisle (formerly 8 ft. wide) has been
removed except for the W. wall which has a 13th-century window of one pointed light, now blocked.
A modern internal buttress at the W. end marks the
line of the former S. wall. In the N. wall, by the E.
arch, is a narrow opening with a rounded head, giving
access to the former rood-loft; it is now blocked.
Re-set in the S. wall of the modern S. aisle is the late
14th-century S. doorway; it has moulded jambs and
two-centred arch. Re-set in the modern porch is a
15th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights in
The West Tower (about 10¼ ft. square) is of the 15th
century, repaired in 1783, the date on the rain-water
heads; it is of three stages with an embattled parapet.
The tower-arch has moulded responds and two-centred arch. The W. doorway is modern and above
it is an 18th-century window in the blocking of an
earlier window. The second stage has a doorway in
the E. wall. In the N. wall is a modern window with
remains of an earlier window to the E.; in the S. wall
is a window now covered by the clock-face. In the
W. wall is a 15th-century single-light window, now
blocked. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a modern
The Roof of the nave is of the 15th century partly
restored; it is of four bays, flat-pitched, with moulded
and embattled wall-plates and tie-beams with curved
braces springing from moulded corbels; the purlins
are also moulded. The 15th-century roof of the N.
aisle is flat-pitched and of three bays; the principals
have carved bosses in the middle, one a rosette and
another with foliage sprouting from a grotesque head.
Some timbers from the former S. aisle are re-used in
the modern vestry.
Fittings—Bells: six; 3rd by Knight of Reading,
1638; 5th by James Barlett, 1690. Brasses and
Indents. Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to
Richard Marsh, 1615, inscription only; on S. wall,
(2) to Robert Nuttinge, 1618, inscription only. In
N. chapel, loose, (3) to John Downner, 151., Johane
his wife and John their son, 1515, inscription and figure
of son, two other figures lost. Indents: In chancel—
(1) of bracket-brass with Virgin and Child under
canopy and kneeling figures of man and wife at foot. In
N. chapel—(2) of inscription-plate. Font (Plate 51):
heavy square bowl with enriched intersecting arcading
of eight bays on each face, springing from attached
shafts with cushion-capitals, enriched band below, stem
consisting of central dwarf shaft and four small shafts
at angles, mid to late 12th-century. Monuments and
Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on N. side,
(1) to Sir Jeremy Whichcot, Bart., 1677, slab (Plate 144)
of touch with bay-leaf border and an achievement-of-arms on a trophy of arms, on modern base. In N. chapel
—on N. wall, (2) to Edward Fowler D.D., Bishop of
Gloucester, 1714, draped marble tablet (Plate 65) with
swags and cherub-heads, flanking Corinthian pilasters
with entablatures and curved pediment, four cherubs,
achievement and cartouche-of-arms; (3) to Sir
William Rawlinson, sergeant-at-law, 1703, white marble
altar-tomb (Plate 145) with reclining effigy of man in
robes and wig with seal-bag and mace, back-piece with
flanking pilasters, entablatures, pediment and cartouche-of-arms, wrought-iron railing in front, monument
erected in 1705. In N. aisle—on N. wall, (4) to Sir
William Herbert, K.B., Lord Powis, 1655–6, alabaster
and black marble tablet with broken scrolled pediment,
achievement and two shields-of-arms; (5) to William
Nicoll, 1644, Anne (Swallow) his wife and William,
1665–6, and Elizabeth his children, alabaster and marble
tablet with scrolls and two defaced shields-of-arms. In
nave—on W. wall, (6) to Charles Mordaunt, 1681–2,
scrolled marble tablet. In churchyard—N.E. of N.
chapel, (7) to Christopher Young, 1708–9, table-tomb
with achievement-of-arms; S. of S. doorway, (8) to
John Gardiner, 1703, headstone; (9) to Anne, wife
of Robert Poulson, 1713, headstone. Floor-slabs: In
chancel—(1) to Katharine (Herbert), wife of Sir James
Palmer, 1666, with lozenge-of-arms; (2) to Sarah,
wife of William Geere, 1650; (3) to William Geere,
1651–2, with shield-of-arms; (4) to Nicholas Herne,
1642–3 and Sarah, his second wife, 1672; (5) to Rose,
1677–8 and Catharine, 1690, wives of Robert Etheredg,
also to Robert Etheredg, 1706. In N. chapel—(6) to
John Nicoll, 1649–50 and Anne, his wife, 1659. In
nave—(7) fragment with the date 1654. Paintings:
In chancel—below E. window, two painted texts in
black-letter, in scrolled border, probably 16th-century;
on S. wall, at E. end, masonry-pattern in red line with
rosettes and dots; over this, remains of an arch-design with foliage-scrolls, mid 13th-century; on wall-arches in chancel, alternate voussoirs painted white
and red, same date. In N. aisle—framed oil-painting
of the Virgin and Child with St. John the Baptist,
ascribed to the school of the Bassani, c. 1600.
Piscina: In chancel—remains of recess and S. springer
of head, slots in jamb for shelves, 13th-century.
Plate: includes a cup and cover-paten of 1607 (Plate
22) and a late 17th-century paten given by Sir Paul
Wichcut. Royal Arms: In N. aisle—on N. wall,
painted on plaster, Stuart arms partly cut away by
window, window probably partly blocked when arms
were painted. Miscellanea: Incorporated in internal
buttress at W. end—various worked stones, 12th-century and later.
a(2) Well in the Grove, N.W. of Highwood Hill
and 2¾ m. N.N.W. of the church, consists of a sunk
circular enclosure of brick with a tile pavement and a
flight of steps. On the N. or N.E. side is a scrolled
tablet inscribed "Mrs. Rachell Russell's gift June y. 10
c(3) Copt Hall, now flats, about 1¼ m. N.N.W. of
the church, is of three storeys; the walls are of brick
and the roofs are slate-covered. It was re-built in
1624 by Randall Nicoll, but has been so extensively
altered that few original features survive. Inside the
building is a fireplace with an oak head-beam bearing
the initials and date R.N. 1624. The staircase has late
17th-century twisted balusters.
b(4) Frith Manor, house 2 m. N.E. of the church,
was re-built late in the 18th century but incorporates a
16th-century stone fireplace with moulded jambs and
four-centred head; there is also some linen-fold
panelling brought from elsewhere.
b(5) Bittacy House, 1,000 yards W. of (4), is modern
but contains a wood-carving of the royal arms of
James I, with his initials.
b(6) Nicoll Almshouses, on the W. side of the
road at Mill Hill, 1¾ m. N. of the church, form a range
of six tenements of one storey; the walls are of brick
and the roofs are tiled. On the N. front is a tablet
inscribed "These six Almes Houses were erected in ye
year of Our Lord 1696 at the sole charge of Thomas
Nicoll of this Parish Gent. for the use of ye poor."
The central chimney-stack has a panel with the initials
and date T. N. 1696. The building was extensively
repaired in 1893.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of brick and the roofs are tile or slate-covered.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(7) Range of tenements, 20 yards S.E. of (6), is
mainly timber-framed and weather-boarded. It was
built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
b(8) House, with shop 50 yards N.W. of (6), is of
two storeys with attics. It is said to have been
built in 1707 but has been much altered and added to.
b(9) House, immediately N.W. of (8), has been much
altered and heightened.
b(10) Rosebank, house on the N.E. side of the road
50 yards N. of (9), is timber-framed and weather-boarded. It is said to have been built in 1678 as a
Friends' meeting-house, but after 1719 was turned
into a dwelling and a floor inserted.
b(11) The Grove, house 200 yards N.W. of (10), is
timber-framed and weather-boarded. It was built late
in the 16th or early in the 17th century, with cross-wings at each end. Inside the building, the S. room
is partly lined with original panelling and there is also
some panelling in the hall.
a(12) Highwood Ash, house on the E. side of the road
at Highwood Hill, over 2½ m. N.N.W. of the church,
was built probably early in the 18th century but has
been subsequently altered. At the back is a bay-window with a modillioned cornice.
a(13) Rising Sun Inn, 70 yards S.W. of (12), has been
extensively altered and added to.
d(14) Church End Farm, house 30 yards W.S.W. of
the church, is of three storeys. The exterior retains
two late 17th-century windows with solid frames and
the central chimney-stack has four grouped diagonal
shafts. Inside the building is a considerable amount
of original panelling and some panelled doors.
d(15) Range of two cottages at the Model Farm, 100
yards S. of the church, is partly timber-framed but
has been mostly refaced in brick.
d(16) Barn, 80 yards E. of (15), is of one storey and
has been shortened at the W. end.
d(17) Range of four tenements on the W. side of the
Burroughs 650 yards S.S.W. of the church, was built
probably early in the 18th century, but has been much