30 HILLINGDON, EAST (A.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XIV, N.E. (b)XIV, S.E.)
East Hillingdon is a parish 1 m. E. of Uxbridge.
The church, Cedar House and the earthwork are the
a(1) Parish Church of St. John the Baptist (Plate
142) stands on the S. of the main Uxbridge road. The
walls are of flint rubble with freestone dressings, except
the tower which is of brick faced with flint and stone;
the roofs are covered with tiles and lead. The chancel-arch is of c. 1260 and the arcades of the Nave are of
mid 14th-century date, when the North and South Aisles
were added or re-built; the S. aisle is perhaps slightly
the earlier. The mediæval West Tower was taken down
in 1623 and the present structure built in 1629. The
church was restored in 1847–8 when the nave was
lengthened and new Chancel, Transepts and Chapels
built and the old chancel-arch re-set; the church was
again restored in 1902 and the Vestry is modern.
The chancel-arch has interesting detail and among
the fittings the brasses and monuments are noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel is modern
except for the re-set 13th-century chancel-arch, which
is two centred and of two moulded orders with labels
and head stops; the inner order springs, on the N.,
from a filletted shaft (Plate 6) with a carved 'stiff
leaf capital and standing on a corbel carved with a
head and two small monsters; the shaft on the S. is
modern, except for the 13th-century capital with 'stiff-leaf' foliage.
The Nave (62 ft. by 18 ft.) has modern transept-arches on the N. and S. The mid 14th-century N. and
S. arcades are each of three bays, with two-centred
arches of two sunk-chamfered orders; the partly
restored octagonal columns have moulded capitals and
bases; the inner order of the arches on the W. side
of the two N. pillars has head-stops to the chamfers;
the responds are square with modern imposts. There
are two modern dormer-windows on each side above
The North Aisle (11½ ft. wide) has four windows and
a doorway, all modern except the re-tooled splays of
the windows and perhaps part of the label of the
The South Aisle (15 ft. wide average) has three
windows in the S. wall all modern except the 14th-century rear-arches, two with labels and head-stops,
and the re-tooled splays; there are traces of a former
doorway between the two western windows. In the
W. wall is a 14th-century doorway, perhaps re-set from
the S. wall; it has jambs and two-centred arch of two
chamfered orders; above it are two modern windows.
The West Tower (15 ft. square) was built in 1629 and
is of three stages (Plate 2) with clasping buttresses, an
embattled parapet and a timber cupola. The tower-arch
has jambs and two-centred head of two chamfered
orders with moulded capitals. The W. doorway is
modern but above it is a blocked round arch possibly
part of the 17th-century doorway; above it is a modern
window and a stone with the names "Io. Atlee Io.
Robince, Church Wa." The second stage has a modern
window in the W. wall. The bell-chamber has, in each
wall, a much restored window of three pointed lights
in a four-centred head with a label. On the W. parapet
is a shield-of-arms of Harbie.
The Roof of the N. aisle is of the 15th century and of
four bays, flat-pitched; the main timbers are moulded
and the principals have curved braces on stone corbels
(Plate 6) carved with male busts. The 15th-century
roof of the S. aisle is of three and a half bays with
king-post trusses; the panelled ceiling is modern. The
ground-stage of the tower has 17th-century timbers
with a bell-way; the roof of the tower has diagonal
timbers supporting the central timber cupola.
Fittings—Brasses: In chancel—on S. wall, (1) of
[Henry Stanley, 1528], figure of man in armour and two
shields-of-arms, (a) Stanley quartering Lathom and
Warenne, the whole quartering Man and a quarterly
coat of Strange, Widville and Mohun with a scutcheon
of Montalt over all. In nave—on W. wall, (2) of
Drew Saunders, 1579, figures of man in civil costume,
wife, and merchant's mark, figures of son and daughter
lost, indent of earlier shield and plate on same slab;
(3) groups of six sons and three daughters, c. 1560;
(4) to [John Marsh, 1561], device with initials I.M. and
three shields of arms, rest missing. In S. aisle—on N.
wall, (5) of [John le Strange, Lord Strange, 1479 and
Jacquette (Widville), his wife, erected 1509] figures (Plate
8) of man in plate-armour, wife in widow's veil and
daughter, under double canopy, top cornice and part
of one standard missing, all set in marble slab with
moulded edge, inscription missing; on W. wall, (6) to
William Gomersall, 1597, inscription and achievement-of-arms; (7) to Anne, daughter of Miles Wilson, 1569,
inscription only; on S. wall, (8) of John Atlee, 1599,
figure of man in civil costume. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—against S. wall, (1) of
Sir Edward Carr, 1636–7, erected by Jane (Shurly)
his wife and repaired in 1775, alabaster and marble
monument (Plate 147), consisting of panelled base,
kneeling figures of man in armour and wife at prayer-desk with shield-of-arms, two daughters in front and
canopy with Ionic side-columns, draped curtains, cornice
with acute gable in middle and two allegorical figures,
achievement-of-arms at back and two crests on
Corinthian columns at sides. In N. transept—on E.
wall, (2) to Christopher, infant son of Sir John Ingleby,
1712–3, white marble tablet. In N. chapel—on N. wall,
(3) to Sarah (Pointze), wife of Clement Harbie, 1606,
tablet with achievement-of-arms. In nave—on S. wall,
(4) to Mary, daughter of John Walker, 1685, white
marble scrolled cartouche (Plate 14), with cartouche-of-arms and skull. In N. aisle—on N. wall, (5) to Thomas
Harbie, 1592, erected 1623, alabaster tablet with
cornice, achievement and four shields-of-arms. In
churchyard—E. of N. chapel, (6) to Anne, wife of
Bernard Hannington, 1705, Elizabeth his second wife,
1727 and Bernard Hannington, 1724, headstone;
S. of chancel, (7) to Michaell Pearce, 1699, and another
later, table-tomb; (8) to William Webb, 1683, and
others later, table-tomb; (9) to Thomas Impey, 1684–5,
slab; S. of tower, (10) to John .. ignell, 1700, head-stone. Floor-slabs: In N. transept—(1) to Anne
(Peers), wife of Roger Lukyn, 1643, and an infant
daughter, with three shields-of-arms. In N. aisle—
(2) to John Parsons, 1703 and Daniel, his son, 1702;
(3) to Richard Pope, 1651 and Susan his widow, wife
of John Atlee, 1703. Plate (Plate 22): includes cup
and cover-paten of 1636 and a cup of 1637, all given
by Rose Wood, a paten dated 1689 and a flagon of 1689
with the date 1687. Staircase: In tower—from level of
former gallery to second stage, with moulded pilaster-balusters, square newel with shaped terminal and
moulded rail, c. 1629.
a(2) Cedar House, 80 yards N. of the church, is of
two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the
roofs are tiled. It was built c. 1580 on a rectangular plan,
perhaps with two wings on the N. This part was remodelled early in the 18th century and there is a modern
wing on the W. The S. front (Plate 146) has a moulded
brick string-course between the lower storeys and a
dentilled string-course at the attic-floor level; there is
a central projecting porch of two storeys and both this
and the flanking bays of the front are gabled. The
porch has a moulded outer archway with an entablature
and pediment. Flanking the porch are two modern
bay-windows; the other windows are all of the 18th
century. The central chimney-stack has panelled sides.
The E. and W. ends retain parts of their original gables,
altered on one side to a flat pitch in the 18th century.
Inside the building, the main W. room has exposed
ceiling-beams and some late 16th-century panelling
probably brought from elsewhere; the fire-place has
a re-set early 16th-century lintel, from elsewhere, with
a rose, two leopards and two shields carved with a
merchant's mark and a monogram; above the fire-place are eight re-set terminal figures of the 17th
century. Other rooms have re-set panelling and one
fireplace has an early 16th-century oak lintel, also re-set.
On the upper floors are some early 18th-century fire-places and panelling and some 16th or 17th-century
The Gardens retain some late 16th-century brick
walls and S. of the house is a gateway, with rusticated
piers heightened in the 18th century and fitted with an
18th-century wrought-iron gate; this has a shield-of-arms and a scrolled overthrow with the initials M.C.
a(3) Enclosure Walls on the E. side of Harlington
Road and Lees Road, ¾ m. S.E. of the church, are of
17th-century brick and must have enclosed a considerable area, perhaps attached to Dawley Court.
b(4) Garden Wall, on the W. side of Hubbard's
Farm about 1 m. S.S.E. of the church, is of 16th-century
brickwork. The old house was burnt some years ago.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of two storeys or two storeys with attics;
the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled.
Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
b(5) Kimbolton, house about 200 yards W. of (4), is
mostly of brick. The N. part was built early in the
16th century, of timber-framing; the S. part and the
W. wing were added late in the same century. The E.
side of the earlier block has been refaced in brick.
There are some late 16th-century windows with
moulded oak frames and above a former doorway is a
brick cornice. Inside the building, one of the original
roof-trusses remains. The late 16th-century staircase
has flat shaped balusters, moulded rails and square
newels with turned finials.
b(6) House, at Gould's Green 550 yards S.E. of (5),
was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
The walls are of brick and there is a band-course
between the storeys.
a(7) House, 70 yards W.S.W. of the church, was built
in the first half of the 16th century. Inside the building
some of the framing is exposed and the roof retains a
cambered tie-beam and wind-braces.
a(8) The Cottage, immediately S. of (7), was built
probably about the middle of the 16th century but the
floor-levels have been altered. There is a later addition
at the back connecting the house with a 16th-century
outbuilding. The S. chimney-stack has two diagonal
shafts and the inner doorway of the porch has an
original moulded frame. Inside the building are two
original fireplaces with moulded stone jambs and
four-centred arches. The outbuilding has queen-post
roof-trusses with curved braces to the tie-beams.
Earthwork at Hillingdon
a(9) Earthwork, called Entrenchment on O.S.,
forming the E. boundary of Coney Green, immediately
E. of the churchyard, consists of a length of bank
approximately 10 yards wide at its base, 5–6 ft. high
above the bottom of the ditch which runs along its W.
or inner side. The position of the roadways and the
line of the bank would suggest that it curved round on
the N. and returned southwards. The earthwork is
too fragmentary to allow of any definite conclusion as
to its purpose. Towards the S. end the bank has been
so much flattened out as to leave only a small part of
the outer scarp now visible. It is terminated at the S.
end by a circular mound about 5 ft. high which, however, may be a portion of the original bank.