38 MIMMS, SOUTH (C.a.)
South Mimms - Parish Church of St. Giles
(O.S. 6 in. (a)I, N.W. (b)I, N.E. (c)I, S.W.
(d)I, S.E. (e)VI, N.E.)
South Mimms is a large parish and village on the N.
border of the county and adjoining Enfield on the W.
The church, castle, Knightsland Farm and the White
Hart Inn are the principal monuments.
c(1) Parish Church of St. Giles stands on the
W. side of the parish. The walls are of flint-rubble
and brick with limestone dressings; the roofs are
tiled. The Chancel was built probably in the 13th
century and foundations of a wall between the chancel
and nave have been discovered, possibly belonging to
an earlier building, but more probably the wall under
the former chancel-arch. The earliest detail in the
Nave appears to be of late 14th or early 15th-century
date. The West Tower was built in the first half of the
15th century and Thomas Frowyk (see Brass 8) left a
bequest for its upkeep. The N. arcade was built and
the North Aisle added early in the 16th century and
the North Chapel was built or re-built pursuant to the
will of Henry Frowyk 1527. The church was restored
by G. E. Street in 1877–8 when the South Porch was
added and the N. chapel and aisle probably refaced.
The church is of some architectural interest and
among the fittings the chest, glass and monuments
Architectural Description—The Chancel (35 ft. by
17½ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall is
an early 16th-century arcade of two bays with four-centred arches of two moulded orders: the octagonal
column and semi-octagonal responds have moulded
capitals and bases. In the S. wall are two windows,
the eastern probably of mid 15th-century date much
restored and of two trefoiled and sub-cusped lights
with vertical tracery in a two-centred head, with a
moulded label; the western window is a 'low-side'
of early 14th-century date and of one trefoiled light;
the recess is carried down to form a shelf with chases on
each side probably for a board; the 14th-century doorway, between the windows, has chamfered jambs and
restored head. There is no chancel-arch.
The North Chapel (23½ ft. by 15 ft.) is of early 16th-century date and of red brick with stone dressings;
the much restored E. window is of three cinque-foiled
lights in a square head with a moulded label. In the
N. wall are two windows, uniform with that in the E.
wall, the western entirely modern.
The Nave (49½ ft. by 20¼ ft.) has an early 16th-century
N. arcade of four bays, with four-centred arches of two
moulded orders, carried on octagonal columns and
semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and
bases. In the S. wall are two late 14th or early 15th-century windows, restored externally and of two
cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head;
the inner sill of the eastern window is carried down to
near the ground and from it rises the rood-loft staircase to a doorway in the E. splay and a wall-passage;
the doorway has a four-centred head; the much
restored late 14th or early 15th-century S. doorway
has moulded jambs and two-centred head and label,
restored in cement.
The North Aisle (15¾ ft. wide) is of early 16th-century date and has three windows in the N. wall
and one in the W. wall, all uniform with those in the
N. chapel and all more or less restored.
The West Tower (about 12 ft. square) is of the 15th
century and of three stages (Plate 54) with an embattled
parapet and a stair-turret at the S.E. angle. The two-centred tower-arch is of two hollow-chamfered orders;
the chamfered responds have each a semi-octagonal
shaft with a moulded capital and base. The W. doorway has moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label;
the W. window is of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head with a label. The second stage has, in
the S. wall, a window of one cinque-foiled light in a
square head with a label. The bell-chamber has, in
each wall, a window of two cinque-foiled lights in a
square head with a label.
The Roof of the N. chapel is of early 16th-century
date and of two bays, flat pitched and with chamfered
tie-beams, ridge, plates and rafters. The roof of the
N. aisle is similar and of four bays.
Fittings—Brasses: In chancel—(1) to Henry Frowyk
, inscription and four shields-of-arms of Frowyk;
(2) to Henry Ewer, 1641, inscription and shield-of-arms; (3) to Sophia, daughter of Thomas Harrison,
1661, inscription with lozenge-of-arms. In N. chapel
—(4) shield-of-arms of the East Lands Company and
another of the Haberdashers' Company (now in nave),
c. 1600; (5) to Richard Keterich, 1621 and Prudence
(Dym) his wife, 1602, inscription only; (6) to Martha,
daughter of Henry Ewer, 1628, inscription and indent
of lozenge. In nave—(7) to Roger Hodsden, 1606,
and Jone his wife, inscription only. In W. tower—
(8) of Thomas Frowyk  and [Elizabeth] his wife,
figures of woman, six sons and thirteen daughters,
inscription-plate, indents of figure of man, second
inscription-plate and three shields. Chest (Plate 18):
In nave—of hutch-type with foliage-carving at foot of
front posts, front now of two long panels formed with
cusped rails but formerly of a series of quatre-foiled panels
of which the uprights are missing, each panel formerly
with small rosette in middle, four only remaining,
13th or 14th-century, iron straps possibly later.
Doors: In tower—in W. doorway, with vertical panels,
nail-studded, 15th-century, partly restored; in doorways to turret-staircase, two panelled doors, 15th-century. Font (Plate 10): square bowl with chamfered
angles and moulded under edge, resting on four angle-shafts with moulded capitals and bases, octagonal to
square central pier with tracery-headed panels on alternate faces, 13th-century, panelling on pier 14th-century.
Glass (Plates 166–168): In N. chapel—in second N.
window, kneeling figure of man in civil costume at
prayer-desk with twelve kneeling children behind and
part of inscription "Thys wendow made," also part of
another inscription "be the good man"; in N. aisle—
in first N. window, figures of man in civil costume and
wife kneeling at prayer-desk with part of inscription
"and the es mad," also a second figure of a man kneeling at a prayer-desk and two figures behind, one
probably his wife, remains of inscription, "Thys wendow made"; in second window, figure of woman
kneeling at prayer-desk with five daughters behind her,
and inscription "Thomas Fransys 1526" also figure of
man in civil costume kneeling at prayer-desk with six
sons behind, and damaged remains of inscription; in
third window similar kneeling figures of woman and
three daughters and man with six sons with remains of
inscriptions "Rechared Waltter 1526," "Thys [wen]
dow made"; all early 16th-century; from a memorandum in the parish registers it appears that the windows
were made by (a) the good women of the parish,
(b) Thomas Francis, (c) Richard Hunt, (d) the young
men and maids of the parish and (e) by Richard Walter
and John Boman; a window made by Edward Jones,
1541, in the S. wall has now disappeared. Monuments
and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—against N.
wall, (1) possibly to Henry Frowyk, 1527, altar-tomb
and canopy (Plate 164) of free-stone, altar-tomb with
moulded plinth and cornice, side and W. end panelled
with quatrefoils and side with central cinquefoil-headed
panel in addition, quatrefoils on this side each enclosing
a carved boss, two with the initial R. and a doubtful
letter, E. end with three trefoiled ogee-headed panels;
canopy with panelled soffit and moulded and depressed
four-centred arches in square heads with main cornice
above, the whole resting on four enriched baluster-shaped supports standing on the ground; Henry
Frowyk desired by will to be buried in this portion of
the church; on S. wall, (2) to Thomas Marshe, 1661,
marble and slate tablet with architrave, cornice, broken
pediment and cartouche-of-arms; (3) to Frances (Harrison) wife of Robert Newdigate, 1682, black and white
marble tablet, with Ionic side-columns, entablature,
broken pediment and cartouche-of-arms. In N. chapel
—against N. wall, (4) of one of the family of Frowyk,
c. 1530–40, altar-tomb, canopy and effigy (Plate 165),
altar-tomb of freestone, with moulded plinth and capping, front with four quatre-foiled and sub-cusped panels
enclosing shields-of-arms, (a) Frowyk impaling a cheveron,
(b) Frowyk impaling Aske, (c) Frowyk quartering
Knolles and (d) Frowyk impaling Lewkenor, ends of
tomb panelled with small quatrefoils, each enclosing a
leopard's head, at angles of tomb moulded piers with
outer shafts carried up and finished with terminals,
canopy formed with depressed four-centred arches with
traceried frieze at ends enclosing leopards' heads,
cornice and remains of cresting, soffit in form of barrel-vault with traceried panelling and bosses; effigy (Plate
163) of man in plate armour with feet on lion and head
on helm. In nave—on S. wall, (5) to . . . [Nowell],
early 17th-century, wall-monument (Plate 14) with base
in form of sarcophagus with enriched panel above enclosing strapwork cartouche and recess with skull.
Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Elizabeth (Norbury)
wife of John Blithman, 1660–1; (2) to Thomas Marshe,
1657, and Thomas his son, 1649; (3) to Mary, wife of
John Howkins, 1698, with shield-of-arms; (4) to
John Adderl[y], 1652–3, with shield-of-arms; (5) to
John and Elizabeth, children of John Howkins, 1689,
with achievement-of-arms. In N. chapel—(6) to
Mary (Ewer), wife of [Edward] Turner, late 17th-century; (7) to Joane, wife of Henry Ewer, late 17th-century. Piscina: In chancel—recess with moulded
jambs, trefoiled head and quatre-foiled drain, 13th-century. Plate: includes three brass alms-dishes, with
repousse figures, probably Dutch, 17th-century. Screen
(Plate 162): In N. chapel—on S. side and at W. end, of
fifteen and ten bays, respectively, two occupied by doorway on each side, close lower panels and open upper
panels divided by buttresses and with trefoiled sub-cusped and traceried heads with crockets, doorways with
trefoiled, sub-cusped and traceried ogee heads, carved
leopards' heads as cusp-points, moulded rail and head,
early 16th-century. Seating: In chancel—two stools
with turned legs, late 17th or early 18th-century. In
nave—bench-end with linen-fold panel and moulded
capping, early 16th-century.
Motte at South Mimms.
b(2) Motte and Bailey Castle, earthwork about
1 m. N.N.E. of the church, stands on a slight shelf of
the valley-side. The work (area about 2¼ acres including the defences) consists of a circular motte with
a kidney-shaped bailey, the whole formerly surrounded
by a ditch. The ditch has now been partly filled in
and partly destroyed by quarrying. There are slight
indications that the motte may have been separated
from the bailey by a shallower ditch. Traversing the
bailey from S.E. to N.W. is a cart-track which is
responsible for the filling in of the ditch on the N.W.,
but its entrance on the S.E. would appear to coincide
with the original entrance. There are traces of an
inner rampart to the bailey which, on the W., attains
considerable height. There is a sinking through this
portion of the W. rampart and a slight causeway across
the ditch which may indicate a postern, but there is
much disturbance at this point, due to quarrying.
Some faint traces of scarping on the S. suggest the
possibility of an outer court or enclosure on that side.
There is a sinking on the top of the motte, which is
about 40 yards in diameter at the base and about 17 ft.
b(3) Mimms Hall, house and moat 1,400 yards N.E.
of the church. The House is of two storeys; the walls
are mainly of brick and the roofs are tiled. The N.
part of the house was built probably early in the 16th
century but it has been cased in brick and there are
later and modern additions on the E. and S. Inside
the building some original timber-framing, with tie-beams and wall-posts, is exposed. The Moat seems to
have formerly surrounded the house but only fragments
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
c(4) Blanche Farm, house, cottage and moat 1,200
yards S. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
partly timber-framed and partly of brick; the roofs
are tiled. It was built late in the 16th or early in the
17th century but has various modern additions. Inside
the building the original staircase has square balusters
of diminishing pilaster form and square newels with
pierced and moulded cappings. On the upper floor
two rooms are lined with early 18th-century panelling
and one has a fireplace with an eared surround, scrolled
supports and an entablature. The timber-framed
Cottage, S.W. of the house, dates from the 17th century.
The Moat formerly surrounded the house, but has
been filled in on the E. and W.
Condition—Of house, good.
e(5) Fold or Old Ford Farm, house, barns and moat
2¼ m. S. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
timber-framed and faced with brick; the roofs are
tiled. It was built in the 17th century and has 18th-century and modern additions. The Barns, N. and E.
of the house, are 17th-century timber-framed buildings
but have been much altered. The Moat, S. of the
house, is largely intact.
Condition—Of house, good.
d(6) Knightsland Farm, house and barn about
1¾ m. S.S.E. of the church. The House is of two
storeys with attics; the walls are brick-faced and the
roofs are tile and slate-covered. It was built in the
16th century and has a cross-wing at the W. end. The
whole building was cased in brick in the 18th century.
The wall-paintings and panelling are noteworthy.
The exterior has no features of interest. Inside the
building some of the ceiling-beams are exposed. The
dining-room is lined with early 16th-century linen-fold
panelling and the fireplace is flanked by late 16th-century
fluted pilasters and there are remains of an overmantel.
The drawing-room retains a little late 16th or early
17th-century panelling. The kitchen has an early
18th-century fireplace with a moulded surround. On
the first floor the E. room has a series of wall-paintings
(Plate 172) on the W. wall. They are of late 16th-century
date and represent the parable of the Prodigal Son; the
first panel has been destroyed but is followed by three
complete and one damaged panels representing—(a) the
prodigal wasting his substance in riotous living,
Luke xv. 13, and his expulsion; (b) taking service
with the swine-keeper and eating the husks, xv. 15–16;
(c) the return to his father, xv. 20–22; (d) preparations for the feast, xv. 23, the lower part of this panel
is destroyed; dividing the panels are painted columns.
In a closet is some 17th-century panelling. At the
top of the attic-staircase is an original doorway with a
stop-moulded frame. The Barn, N.W. of the house,
is a 17th-century timber-framed structure of seven bays.
b(7) Manor Farm or Wyllyots Manor, house nearly
1¾ m. E. of the church, is partly of one and partly of
two storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed
and the roofs are tiled. The W. part of the building
was built late in the 16th century as a barn of which
four bays remain; it has an aisle, perhaps added, on the
N. side; the barn formerly extended one or perhaps
two bays to the E. but the first of these bays has been
reduced in height and the second was incorporated in a
house built probably c. 1600. The barn has tie-beams
with curved braces and struts and the house has some
exposed ceiling-beams and wall-posts with shaped
heads; there is also a window with moulded frame
and mullions, now blocked.
a(8) White Hart Inn, 80 yards N. of the church, is
of two storeys; the walls are timber-framed and the
roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 17th or early
in the 18th century but has been much altered. Inside
the building, two rooms on the first floor have 18th-century plaster panelling on the walls with an enriched
cornice; the ceilings have oval or round panels in the
middle with wreaths of foliage and fruit, four segmental
panels and scrolled foliage enrichments; the fireplaces
have eared surrounds, shaped supports and entablatures.
A third room has a simpler ceiling with two branches
forming an oval within a rectangular panel in the
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tile or
slate-covered. Some of the buildings have exposed
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
a(9) Black Horse Inn, on the E. side of the road 400
yards N.N.W. of the church, is a brick building of early
18th-century date. Inside the building the upper part
of the staircase is original and has turned balusters
and square newels.
a(10) Sparrow Farm, house, three tenements, 30
yards S.W. of (9), was built c. 1500. The upper storey
seems to have projected on the E. side of the middle
block but has been under-built. Inside the building
the upper floor of the middle block seems to have been
open to the roof; it was of three bays and the double-chamfered wall-posts remain supporting cambered tie-beams with curved braces; the purlins have curved
wind-braces. The end tenements probably formed
the original cross-wings. A late 16th-century fireplace
with chamfered jambs and three-centred head remains.
d(11) Barns, at Bridgefoot Farm 1,140 yards E.S.E.
of the church, are single-storey buildings, one of five
and two of three bays each.
d(12) Barn, on the E. side of the road 380 yards N.E.
of (6), is a single-storey building of half H-shaped plan.
d(13) Barns, at Bentley Heath Farm nearly 2 m.
E.S.E. of the church, are single-storey buildings of
seven and four bays respectively.
d(14) Cottage and barn, on the S. side of Mutton Lane
nearly 1¾ m. E. of the church.
b(15) Green Man Inn (Plate 26), on the W. side of
the Great North Road 2½ m. E. of the church, has
been much altered.