39 NORTHOLT (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XV, N.W. (b)XV, N.E.)
Northolt is a parish 5 m. E. of Uxbridge. The
Church is the principal monument.
b(1) Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate 1) stands
towards the E. side of the parish. The walls of the
chancel are of brick; those of the nave are of flint
and ironstone rubble, cement-rendered; the dress
ings are of Reigate and other freestone; the roofs are
tiled. The Nave was re-built and perhaps widened towards the S. c. 1300. The Chancel was re-built probably
early in the 16th century and the bell-turret is of the
same century. Buttresses were added c. 1700 and later
in the 18th century. The South Porch was re-built and
the church was restored in the 19th century.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (28½ ft. by
16¼ ft.) was re-built early in the 16th century. The E.
window, the windows in the side walls and the S.
doorway are all modern but in each case the splays and
rear-arch may be old; at the W. end of the N. and S.
walls is the blocked opening of a former window.
There is no chancel-arch.
The Nave (44 ft. by 24¾ ft.) has, in the N. wall, two
windows, the eastern of mid 14th-century date and of
two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded label; the western
window is of c. 1300 and is of two trefoiled lights with
a sex-foiled circle in a two-centred head; the internal
splays and mullion are shafted and the shafts have
foliated capitals and moulded bases; the blocked 14th-century N. doorway has jambs and two-centred arch
of two moulded orders with a defaced label. In the
S. wall are two windows similar to the corresponding
windows in the N. wall; the 14th-century S. doorway,
now cement-rendered, has jambs and two-centred arch
of one rounded and one moulded order. In the W.
wall is a window similar to the western windows in the
side walls and retaining a grotesque stop to the N. of
The Roof of the chancel is probably of early 16th-century date and is of three bays with two king-post
trusses; the octagonal king-posts have curved struts to
the central purlin; the tie-beams and plates are chamfered; at the W. end is a third tie-beam supporting a
plaster partition. The roof of the nave is of similar type
and date and is of three bays with a narrow bay at the W.
end below the bell-turret; the tie-beam supporting it
is carried on two octagonal posts; the bell-turret itself
is square and finished with a low broach-spire.
Fittings—Bells: three and sanctus; 1st by William
Whitmore, 1656; 2nd by W. Land, 1617; 3rd by
Thomas Bartlet, 1624; sanctus by Thomas Bartlet,
1626. Brasses: In chancel—(1) of Susan, wife of
John Gyfforde, 1560, figures of man in armour and
wife, groups of nine sons and three daughters, indents
of four shields, palimpsest on male figure parts of
armed figure c. 1480, on female figure part of an armed
figure and two pieces of a lady, on group of sons two
pieces of 15th-century inscriptions; on group of
daughters, group of kneeling sons c. 1480; on E. wall,
(2) of Isaiah Bures M.A., vicar, 1610, kneeling figure in
gown, achievement-of-arms above, set in marble tablet,
monument erected by his wife Catherine. In nave—
(3) of Henry Rowdell, 1452, figure of man in armour
with livery collar, feet on lion, indent of one shield.
Communion Table: In nave—legs in form of Doric
columns, two arches at each end and arcade of similar
arches on a longitudinal central stretcher, early 17th-century. Font (Plate 12): octagonal bowl with moulded
lower edge, sides with panels as follows, (a) octofoiled
with shield-of-arms probably of Sir Nicholas Brember,
Lord Mayor, (b) cinquefoil-headed panel, (c) sex-foiled
with double rose, (d) as (b), (e) quatre-foiled with four
leaves, (f) sex-foiled, (g) window tracery, (h) quatre-foiled with four leaves, mid to late 14th-century. Cover,
of oak, with central post and four shaped brackets, inscription on post M.H., I.H., C.W., 1624. Gallery:
In nave—at W. end, front of three bays flanked by
pilasters and each bay with three fielded panels, moulded
capping and base, front supported on two Doric
columns, gallery approached by staircase with turned
balusters, moulded strings and handrail, said to have
been erected in 1703. Monuments and Floor-slab.
Monuments: In churchyard—S.E. of porch, (1) to
Elizabeth, wife of William King, 1663 or 8, head and
foot-stones; S.W. of porch, (2) to John Robinson,
1706–7, headstone; S. of chancel, (3) to William Odell,
1712, and Elizabeth his wife, 1712–3, head and foot-stones; (4) to William Cob, 1700, headstone; on E. wall
of chancel, (5) to George Probert, 1676–7, tablet
with cartouche-of-arms. Floor-slab: In chancel—to
Thomas Arundell, 1697, Thomas his son, 1706, and
another later. Panelling: In nave—on W. end of N.
wall, dado of re-used panelling from pews, upper panels
enriched and finished with dentilled capping, one panel
inscribed "William Rowse and Mathew Hart churchwardens, ano. dom. 1629." Picture: In chancel—on
N. wall, oil painting of the Adoration of the Magi,
probably 18th-century copy. Piscina: In nave—in S.
wall, recess with moulded jambs and cinque-foiled arch in
a square head, broken shelf and broken round drain,
15th-century. Plate: includes a cup and paten of
1702. Royal Arms: On E. wall of nave, Stuart arms
of painted and carved wood, late 17th-century. Stoup:
In nave—E. of S. doorway, recess with trefoiled head
and broken bowl, c. 1300.
Condition—Fairly good, some stonework decayed.
b(2) Homestead Moat, immediately N.E. of the
a(3) Down Barns, house and moat nearly 1½ m. W.
of the church. The House is of two storeys with
attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled.
It was re-built late in the 17th or early in the 18th
century but incorporates a massive chimney-stack of
earlier date on the W. side. The N. front has remains
of an eaves-cornice. Inside the building is some
early 17th-century panelling and the upper part of the
staircase has early 18th-century turned balusters.
The Moat lies to the W. of the house.
a(4) Pigeon House at Islip Manor, 560 yards N.W.
of the church, has now been reduced to the N.W. wall
and the return of the N.E. wall. It was built probably
in the 17th century and was a brick structure, set over-sailing at the top. There is a central doorway in the
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of late 17th or early 18th-century date and
of two storeys with attics. The walls are of brick
and the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have
exposed ceiling-beams. Monuments (7) and (8) have
now been demolished.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(5) Iliots Green, house 440 yards N.W. of the church,
has an original staircase with moulded strings and
rails; the balusters are missing.
b(6) Moat Farm, house and barn 460 yards N. of the
church. The House has a symmetrically designed front
with a coved eaves-cornice; the panelled front door is
original and has strap-hinges. Inside the building the
S. room is lined with original panelling with a moulded
cornice. Some of the fire-places and doors are also
original. The Barn, E. of the house, is a 17th-century
timber-framed structure of four bays.
b(7) Court Farm, house and barns 230 yards N.E. of
the church. The House has a symmetrically designed
front. Inside the building, the original staircase has
turned balusters and square newels; there are several
original doors. The Barns, S. of the house, are
17th-century timber-framed structures, each of four
a(8) Medlar Farm, house about 1 m. S.W. of the
church, was built probably early in the 17th century;
it has later additions at the back and the front has been
refaced. Re-set in one of the additions is an original
window of four lights with moulded frame and