41 PERIVALE (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XV, N.E.)
Perivale is a small parish adjoining that of Ealing
on the N. The church is the principal monument.
(1) Parish Church (Plate 47) (dedication unknown),
stands on the S. edge of the parish. The walls are of rag-rubble and some flint, rendered in cement and with
dressings of Reigate stone; the roofs are tiled. The
Chancel may be of late 13th-century date as indicated
by the low-side window; the Nave may be of the same
period but has no surviving detail of earlier date than
the 15th century. The timber West Tower was
probably added in the 16th century. A S. porch was
added in the 17th century. The church was restored
in the 19th century when the chancel-arch and South
Porch were re-built, the E. wall refaced or re-built, and
the Organ Chamber added.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (14½ ft. by
13¼ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall is a
modern opening to the organ-chamber. In the S.
wall are two windows, the eastern all modern externally
and perhaps of the 18th century internally; the
western is a late 13th-century 'low-side' window with
a shouldered head. The chancel-arch is modern.
The Nave (33 ft. by 16½ ft.) has, in the N. wall,
three windows, the two easternmost are of late 15th
or early 16th-century date and each of two cinque-foiled
lights in a square head with a moulded label; the
stonework is much decayed; the westernmost window
is modern. In the S. wall are two modern windows
and a modern doorway. In the W. wall is a 15th-century doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred
arch with a moulded label; the W. wall is only carried
up sufficiently high to enclose the doorway; it is
uncertain if the upper part was removed when the
tower was added or if the upper part was always timber-framed.
The West Tower (about 10¼ ft. by 11¾ ft.) is a timber-framed structure probably of the 16th century; it is
of three storeys, weather-boarded and finished with a
pyramidal roof. The sundial is dated 1818. The main
beams are original, with straight and curved struts. The
ground storey has a modern doorway in the N. wall and
a modern window in the S. wall, The second storey
has a square window in the N. and S. walls; it communicates on the E. with a narrow gallery over the
W. end of the nave and supported in front on two
posts with shaped heads, a cross-beam and curved
braces. The bell-chamber has a square window in the
N., S. and W. walls.
The South Porch is modern but incorporates some
heavy 17th-century balusters in the side walls.
The Roof of the nave is of the 15th century and of
three bays with two king-post trusses; the tie-beams
are cambered and the king-posts are of cruciform plan
and have four-way struts.
Fittings—Bells: two; 2nd by William Eldridge,
1699. Bell-frame of four trusses, for three bells,
probably 16th-century. Brass: In nave—of Henry
Myllet, 1505, and Alice and Joan his wives, small
figures of man in civil costume and wives in butterfly
head-dresses, etc., groups of three sons and six
daughters and three sons and three daughters. Door:
In W. doorway, framed and faced with overlapping
battens, two strap-hinges, 15th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with chamfered upper and moulded lower
edges, plain stem and moulded base, late 15th-century.
Cover (Plate 20), of oak, octagonal with moulded base
inscribed "This was the gift of Simon Coston Gent.
Mar. 26 1665," central post with pine-cone terminal and
four scrolled brackets with strapwork ornament. Glass:
In E. window—half figures of the Virgin and St. John
and perhaps some other fragments, 15th-century,
incorporated in modern glass. Monuments: In chancel
—on S. wall, (1) to Elizabeth (Millet), wife of John
Lane, the elder, 1655, alabaster marble tablet with side
pilasters, entablature and cartouche-of-arms; (2) to
Thomas Lane, 1652, Jane (Duncombe), his second wife,
1652, Ursula (Duncombe) first wife of John Lane, 1647,
and Katherine (Gates), second wife of John Lane, 1652,
slate tablet with alabaster enriched frame with cornice,
broken pediment and six shields; (3) to Joan (Pites),
wife successively of George Millet and John Shelberry,
1623, alabaster and slate tablet with side pilasters,
cornice and apron with shrouded figure set in recess.
In churchyard—S.E. of chancel, (4) to Henry Wyat,
rector, 1683, and Martha (Haw . . .) his wife, 1686, flat
slab; S. of nave, (5) to John Greenhill, 1706 (?),
moulded slab. Stoup: In W. wall of nave—on W.
face, recess with rounded head and broken basin, late
Condition—Good, much restored.
(2) Homestead Moat, nearly 1 m. N.N.E. of the
(3) Rectory, on the N. side of the churchyard, is of
two storeys; the walls are partly timber-framed and
partly of brick and the roofs are tiled. The middle
part of the house on the E. seems to have been built
in the 15th century with a one-storey hall, represented
by the present kitchen and the adjoining part of the
inner hall, and a two-storeyed wing represented by the
rest of the inner hall. The S. cross-wing was added
probably in the 17th century and the E. front was
refaced in brick in the 18th century. There are various
later additions. The modern porch on the W. incorporates some late 17th-century twisted balusters.
Inside the building some of the original timber-framing
is exposed including parts of the roof of the original
hall; it is of collar-beam and central purlin type and
the timbers are smoke-blackened. The fireplace in the
inner hall has an oak lintel with a curved head to the