7. BELCHAMP ST. PAUL'S. (E.a.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)v. N.E. (b)v. S.E.)
Belchamp St. Paul's is a small parish and
village about 5½ m. W. of Sudbury.
b (1). Parish Church of St. Andrew stands
¾ m. N.E. of the village. The walls are of flint
rubble with dressings of limestone and clunch ;
the roofs are covered with tiles and lead. The
N. transept, forming the E. bay of the present
North Aisle, was built about the middle of the 15th
century; towards the end of the same century the
Chancel and Nave were rebuilt, the chancel being
widened and the nave probably lengthened towards
the W.; the North Aisle, West Tower and South
Porch were added about the same time. The
church was restored, and the North Vestry added
in the 19th century.
The late 15th or early 16th-century bench-ends
in the chancel are noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (30 ft.
by 20½ ft.) is of late 15th-century date, and has a
much restored E. window of five cinquefoiled lights
with rectilinear tracery in a four-centred head;
the external reveals are moulded. In the N. wall
is a modern arcade of two bays. In the S. wall
are two windows, each of two cinquefoiled lights
with a quatrefoil in a four-centred head, all much
restored; the western window is continued down
below a transom, the lower lights being rebated
and fitted with modern shutters. Between the
windows is a doorway with chamfered jambs,
two-centred arch and moulded label. There is
no chancel-arch, but in place of it is a truss with
curved principals which have foliated spandrels;
against each wall the truss rests on a post which
has attached shafts with moulded bases and
capitals and foliated corbels.
The Nave (44 ft. by 21 ft.) has a N. arcade of
three bays; the easternmost arch is of mid 15th-century date, and is two-centred and of two hollow-chamfered orders; the outer order is continuous,
and the inner order rests on semi-octagonal
shafts with moulded and embattled capitals and
moulded bases; the arch opened into the former
N. transept; the two western arches are of late 15th-century date and are two-centred and of two
hollow-chamfered orders; the column is octagonal
with moulded capital and base ; the responds
have attached half-columns. In the S. wall are
three late 15th-century windows, each of two
cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred
head Between the two western windows is the
modern S. doorway.
The North Aisle (9½ ft. wide) includes the former
N. transept, which has a N. wall thicker than that
of the rest of the aisle. In the E. wall is a modern
arch. In the N. wall of the former transept
is a late 15th-century window, much restored,
and of three cinquefoiled lights under a flat head;
between the eastern bay and the second is a late
15th-century segmental arch of two chamfered
orders; it crosses the aisle and rests on moulded
corbels; further W. in the N. wall, is a window
similar to that in the former N. transept, but only
slightly restored; W. of the windows are external
traces of the labels of a former window and N.
doorway, both now destroyed. In the W. wall
is a modern window.
The West Tower is of late 15th-century date, and
of three stages with an embattled parapet and S.E.
stair - turret. The tower-arch is two-centred,
and of three chamfered orders; the two outer
orders are continuous and the inner rests on semi-octagonal attached shafts with moulded capitals
and bases. In the S. wall, opening into the stair-turret, is a doorway with chamfered jambs, double-chamfered and two-centred head and a moulded
label. The W. window is of two cinquefoiled
lights with tracery in a two-centred head. In the
second stage the S. and W. walls have each a
window of one pointed light. The bell-chamber has,
in each wall, a much restored window of two cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred
The South Porch is of late 15th-century date.
The entrance archway is two-centred and of
two hollow-chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner resting on much restored
semi-circular shafts with moulded bases and
embattled capitals. The E. and W. walls each
have a window of one trefoiled light.
The Roof of the chancel is of late 15th-century
date, and of trussed-rafter type with foliated wallplates. The roof of the nave is similar to that of
the chancel, but the wall-plates are moulded and
embattled. The late 15th-century roof of the E.
bay of the N. aisle is of three bays and low-pitched;
the main timbers are moulded and the principals
have curved braces and foliated bosses. The
lean-to roof of the rest of the N. aisle is of late
15th-century date, and has moulded main timbers.
The late 15th-century roof of the S. porch is of
the trussed-rafter type, with moulded, embattled
and crested wall-plates.
Fittings—Bells: five; 1st and 2nd by Miles
Graye, 1682 ; 4th by Miles Graye, 1626. Brasses:
In chancel—in middle of floor, (1) to Elizabeth
(West), wife, first of John Buckenham, and afterwards of William Golding, 1591, two groups of
children, three shields, and inscription (see also
Monuments); (2) of [William Golding, 1587],
figure of man in plate armour, two groups of children,
and two shields, figure of woman and foot inscription lost; both brasses re-set in same slab and disarranged. Communion Table: In vestry—plain,
with turned legs, early 17th-century. Font:
octagonal bowl, two sides plain, the rest with sunk
panels, two panels enclosing saltires, and four
panels cusped and enclosing plain shields, etc.
15th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monument : In chancel—set in wall under S.E. window,
two Purbeck marble slabs, with cusped diamond-shaped panels enclosing two brass shields, part
of former monument to Elizabeth Golding, 1591
(see Brasses). Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to
Freere, son of Christopher Layer, 1654, with two
shields inlaid in white marble; (2) to Susanna, wife
of Christopher Layer, 1669, with impaled shield;
(3) to Christopher Layer, 1671, with shield of arms.
In churchyard—S. of chancel, coped slab, possibly
13th-century, re-used for John Savell, 1700. Plate:
includes a cup and stand-paten of 1680. Sedilia:
In chancel—sill of S.E. window carried down low
to form seat, W. splay cut back and cinquefoiled,
late 15th-century. Stalls: In chancel—five on each
side, with grotesque and foilated misericords, fronts
with foliated scroll-mouldings, traceried panels, and
two standards with elaborately carved figures of a
seated king (see Plate, p. xxxiii) and a monk, late
15th or early 16th-century.
b (2). Fish Ponds, N. of the church, consisting
of one large and three small ponds.
b(3). Paul's Hall, outbuilding and barn, 60
yards W. of the church. The House is of two
storeys with attics; the walls are partly of brick
and partly timber-framed and plastered; the
roofs are tiled. The W. wing was built before the
middle of the 16th century and formed part of
a much larger building. It was probably pulled
down, and the existing N. wing built in the 17th
century; the plan is now L-shaped. The walls
of the 16th-century wing are of brick, and at the E.
end is an original chimney-stack with a modern
top; at the W. end of the wing is an original
chimney-stack, which rests on moulded brick corbelling and has an octagonal shaft; N. of it is an
original window of two lights with a moulded
label, now blocked, and with remains of sham
plaster quoins; on the N. side of the wing is an
original gabled dormer with a corbelled projection
on each side stopping the main eaves; in it is an
original window with a moulded label, and formerly
with a mullion and transom, both now destroyed.
The walls of the N. wing are timber-framed and
Interior:—There are two doors made up of
original linen-fold panelling, and two panelled
doors of late 16th-century date. On the ground
floor some of the rooms have chamfered ceilingbeams. On the first floor a doorway in the W.
wing has an original moulded and stopped frame.
The Outbuilding, W. of the house, is of two
storeys; the walls are of brick, and the roof is
tiled. It was built in the 16th century and is of
five bays. Inside the building the ground floor has
The Barn, S.W. of the house, is timber-framed
and weather-boarded. It was built probably in
the 17th century, and is of seven bays with aisles.
Condition—Of house, good.
b (4). The Vicarage, nearly ¾ m. S.S.W. of the
church, is of two storeys; the walls are partly of
brick and partly of plastered timber-framing; the
roofs are tiled. The house is modern, except a
small wing at the back, which is of late 17th or early
18th-century date. It has four original windows
with plain mullioned frames and iron casements.
b (5). The Limes, house, on the N. side of the green,
150 yards W. of (4), is of two storeys, timberframed and plastered; the roofs are covered with
tiles, thatch, slate and corrugated iron. It was
built probably in the 17th century, and is of irregular L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the N. and W. There are two modern additions
at the W. end. The roofs are hipped, and that
of the W. wing has a wooden eaves-cornice. The
windows in the W. wall of the W. wing have moulded
frames, mullions, and transoms, possibly of late
17th-century date. Interior—On the ground floor
some of the rooms have chamfered ceiling-beams
and exposed joists.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century, and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings have
original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and exposed
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
b (6). Pannel's Farm, house, W. of (5), is of two
storeys with attics. It was built late in the 15th
century, with a small Hall in the middle. Late in
the 16th or early in the 17th century, the Hall was
divided into two storeys, and a chimney-stack was
inserted at the E. end. The roof is half-hipped
at each end. Inside the building, in the N. wall,
at the first floor level, is a blocked window with
plain mullions set diagonally. In the roof is an
original truss of the former Hall, with a chamfered
and cambered tie-beam which has curved braces;
the king-post has a fillet on each face and struts
supporting the central purlin.
b (7). Ferret's Farm, house, on the N. side of the
Ashen road, 400 yards W. of (6). The roof is
hipped at the W. end.
b (8). Gage's House, and outbuilding, 1¼ m. S.S.W.
of the church. The House is of two storeys with
attics, and was built early in the 16th century
on an irregular H-shaped plan with the cross-wings
on the N. and S. At each end of the E. front, the
upper storey projects and is gabled. The original
central chimney-stack has four octagonal shafts
on a square base.
Interior:—On the ground floor the N. room
has an original moulded ceiling-beam carved with
running foliage; in the N. wall is an early 18th-century fireplace with Doric pilasters supporting
an enriched frieze and cornice; round the walls
is an early 18th-century dado. On the first floor
one room has walls covered with early 17th-century
panelling which has an enriched frieze.
The Outbuilding, N. of the house, is of two
storeys, and was built in the 17th century. The
upper part of the walls is weather-boarded.
b (9). Hole Farm, house, now a storehouse,
about 1¾ m. S.W. of the church. The original
central chimney-stack has diagonal shafts and
b (10). Capper's Farm, house and barn, 170 yards
S.E. of (9). The House has an original central
chimney-stack with a diagonal shaft.
The Barn, N. of the house, is of three bays with
an aisle on the N.E. side.
b (11). Woodbarn's Farm, house, 160 yards S.W.
of (10), is almost entirely modern, except for the
chimney-stack at the E. end, which is probably of
early 17th-century date. It has three offsets,
and on the face between the two lower offsets is an
b (12). Wakeshall Farm, house, about 2 m. S.W.
of the church, with a modern addition at one
end. Inside the building, the early 18th-century
staircase has good turned balusters.
a (13). Claredown Farm, house, outbuilding and
barn, about 1½ m. N.W. of the church.
The House is of two storeys with attics, and the
roofs are covered with slate. It was built late
in the 16th or early in the 17th century, and has an
18th-century addition at the S.E. angle. The N.
front has been re-faced with modern brick.
The Outbuilding, S. of the house, is connected
with it by a covered way. It was built in the 16th
century, and the upper storey projects slightly on
the S. side; the 17th-century chimney-stack at the
W. end has three sloping offsets. Inside the
building, on the first floor, one room has an original
The Barn, S.E. of the house, is of the 17th
century, and of eight bays with aisles.