14. BROXTED. (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xiv. S.E. (b)xxiii. N.E. (c)xxiii. N.E.)
Broxted is a small parish and village about
7½ m. S.S.E. of Saffron Walden.
a (1). Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin
stands near the middle of the village, and is built
of flint and pebble rubble, with a few bricks and tiles,
possibly Roman; the dressings are of clunch and
brick; the roofs are tiled. The Chancel was built
early in the 13th century; the Nave is probably
contemporary with it, but the earliest visible detail
is of late 14th-century date. Early in the 15th
century the North Aisle was added; the nave
was possibly lengthened towards the W. at some
later date. The church was restored in 1875–6,
when the S. wall of the chancel was rebuilt; the
South Porch and Bell-turret are modern.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (39 ft.
by 20½ ft.) has, at the E. angles, shallow clasping
buttresses. All the original detail is of early
13th-century date. In the E. wall are three
graduated lancet windows. In the N. wall are
three lancet windows, all with restored heads.
In the S. wall are three lancet windows, with
restored heads and sills and re-worked jambs.
Between the second and third windows is a doorway, probably original, but partly restored; the
jambs and two-centred head are chamfered, and
the label is moulded. A moulded string-course
is carried round the E., N. and S. walls of the
chancel, below the internal window-sills. The
wooden chancel-arch is modern.
The Nave (53 ft. by 20½ ft.) has an early 15th-century N. arcade of three bays; the piers and
responds are of two chamfered orders, the inner
with moulded capitals, and both with moulded
bases; the two-centred arches are of two moulded
orders; the outer order dies on to the piers and
responds, and the inner rests on the capitals.
Further W. is the late 14th or early 15th-century
N. doorway, re-set and now blocked; the jambs
and two-centred arch are moulded; the moulded
label is almost entirely modern. In the S. wall
are three windows; the easternmost is modern,
except the late 16th-century opening of red brick
and of two moulded orders; the second window is
similar to the first, but smaller, and the westernmost window is entirely modern. Between the
second and third windows is the S. doorway,
probably of late 14th-century date, but partly
restored, it is of two moulded orders with a two-centred head. In the W. wall is a modern window.
The North Aisle (42 ft. by 14 ft.) has, in the E.
wall, an early 15th-century window, partly restored,
and of three cinquefoiled lights with tracery in
a segmental-pointed head. In the N. wall are two
windows, entirely modern, except the internal
jamb-stones and segmental-pointed rear arches;
at the E. end of the wall is a high shallow recess,
with a segmental-pointed arch, and a sill about five
feet above the floor; it was probably connected
with a former gallery leading to the rood-loft, and
a change in the external walling probably indicates
that it was entered from outside. In the W. wall is
a window similar to those in the N. wall, but the
segmental-pointed external head is apparently
old. The Roof of the modern S. porch has two
moulded beams of late 16th or early 17th-century
Fittings—Bells: four; 1st, 2nd, and 3rd by
Miles Graye, 1632; 4th by James Bartlet,
1688. Bracket: In N. aisle—on N. wall, under
eastern window, plain and shallow, probably
15th-century. Brass: In chancel—to John Collyn,
1639, 'coryphaeus' of the parish of Broxted,
inscription only. Glass: In N. aisle—in tracery
of E. window, fragments, with designs of fish,
flowers and foliage, early 15th-century, made up
with modern glass. Monuments and Floor-slabs:
Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to John Chadwick,
1654, and John Carpenter, 1739, vicars of the parish.
In nave—at W. end, (2) to A. . . . Burrow,
1710. Niche: In nave—in N. wall, W. of arcade,
with defaced cinquefoiled ogee canopy, having
crockets and finial, the soffit vaulted, with roses
and other flowers at the intersections of the ribs,
flanked by square buttresses with crocketed
pinnacles, bracket of niche carved with two halffigures of angels, 15th-century. Pulpit (see Plate,
p. xxxi.): of oak, octagonal, six sides remaining,
each with arcaded panels and foliated ornament,
angle-posts, rails and cornice carved, book-rest with
carved soffit, and shaped and carved brackets,
early 17th-century, base-moulding modern. Miscellanea: Processional Cross, of brass, with flowered
ends and raised bosses, possibly late 17th-century.
In vicarage garden—stone block, rough, possibly
base of churchyard cross, found in the vicarage
c (2). Homestead Moat at Broxted Hall, ¾ m.
S.S.W. of the church.
a (3). Church Hall, with brewhouse and barns,
50 yards N.E. of the church. The House is of
two storeys with attics, timber-framed and covered
with plaster; the roofs are tiled. It was built
on a rectangular plan, late in the 16th century;
an L-shaped wing was added at the W. end of the
N. front probably about the middle of the 17th
century, and possibly a little later the main block
was extended towards the E.
Elevations—Many of the windows, especially
those on the upper floors, retain old mullioned
frames of oak. On the N. front the original
block has an overhanging gable with chequered
barge-boards and base-board, and a small foliated
ornament of plaster in the head of the gable; the
wing has two gables; the eastern has moulded
barge-boards. On the S. or garden front (see
Plate, p. xxvi.) the original block has a gable on each
side of a gabled porch-wing of two storeys; all
three gables project slightly, and have chequered
barge-boards and base-boards; the western gable
has a moulded and carved console at the W. angle;
under the gable of the porch-wing are similar
consoles, and the overhanging upper storey has a
dentilled bressumer; the E. extension of the
main block has a plain gable. The L-shaped
addition also has two gables, the eastern having
moulded barge-boards. The E. and W. elevations
are gabled, and have moulded 17th-century bargeboards, similar to those on the N. front. The
original central chimney-stack has four diagonal
pilasters on the N. and S. faces.
Interior—In the original block the kitchen has
a chamfered ceiling-beam, and two early 17th-century panelled doors; in the adjoining passage
are two similar doors, and a little panelling of the
same date and design has been re-set in the kitchen
The Brewhouse, E. of the house, is of the 17th
century, and has trusses with curved braces.
The Barns, two, on the E. and N.E. of the house,
are probably also of the 17th century.
The following buildings are generally of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Almost all the buildings
are of the 17th century, and many of them have
original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and exposed
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
b (4) Palegate Farm, house, 1,500 yards W. of the
church. The plan is L-shaped, with the wings
extending towards the N. and E. The N. wing
was built probably late in the 16th or early
in the 17th century, and the E. wing is probably of
later date. The original central chimney-stack
has clustered diagonal shafts with pilasters, on a
rectangular base with a moulded capping.
b (5). Wood Farm, about 1 m. S.W. by W.
of the church. The house faces W. and has a
modern wing at the N. end, making the plan
L-shaped. At the back the close-set timberframing is exposed, and the plaster filling is stamped
with various designs, probably of the 17th century.
The original central chimney-stack has clustered
diagonal shafts with pilasters, and has been restored
at the top. Inside the building is some early
17th-century panelling, now forming a cupboard.
Brick End, S.W. side
b (6). Cottage, now two tenements, S.S.W. of
the church, is partly weather-boarded.
b (7). Cottage, now two tenements, 70 yards S.
b (8). Cottage, now two tenements, 30 yards S.
b (9). Cottage, now two tenements, 100 yards
N.E. of (8), with a low modern addition at the back.
The original central chimney-stack has grouped
b (10). House, now two tenements, 80 yards
S.S.E. of (9), is of F-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the N.E. The front has, at
each end, a gable, with moulded and dentilled
b (11). Garrolds, farmhouse, 1¼ m. S.S.W. of the
church, has a modern wing at the N. end.
b (12). Cottage, now two tenements, 80 yards
S. of (11), is partly weather-boarded.
b (13). Cottage, now two tenements, at Chapel
End, 800 yards S.W. of (12), has old window
frames and diamond glazing.
c (14). Cottage, now two tenements, on the
N. side of the Little Easton Road, about 1½ m.
S. of the church, with a modern addition at the
c(15). Cottage, on the W. side of the road,
200 yards S.E. of (14).
c (16). Baldwins, house, 1¾ m. S.S.E. of the
church. A modern wing has been added, forming
a second tenement. Inside the building is an
original fireplace with chamfered jambs and four-centred arch of stone.
c (17). Broxted Hill, house, 250 yards N.E.
of (16). The plan was originally rectangular, but
large modern additions have made it of modified
H-shape. The original central chimney-stack has
three attached square shafts.
a (18). Tingates Farm, house, about 1½ m. E. of
the church, is of two storeys with attics, and of
L-shaped plan, with the wings extending towards
the S.W. and N.W.
a(19). Brick House, and barn, 100 yards S.E.
of (18). The House was built c. 1540, on a rectangular plan, facing W.; it was extended towards
the N., probably in the 17th century, and there
are modern additions at the back. In front the
upper storey projects and has a moulded bressumer resting on curved brackets. Inside the building, on the ground floor, two rooms have original
moulded ceiling-beams with foliated stops; in
the S. room is a dado made up of late 16th and
early 17th-century panelling. On the first floor,
in several rooms, the dado is of early 17th-century
panelling, and other panelling of the same date
is covered by wall-paper. In one room is visible
the tie-beam and one curved brace of a roof-truss,
resting on shaped wall-posts.
The Barn, N. of the house, is weather-boarded,
and is probably of late 17th-century date.
a (20). Little Broxted Hill, house, now two
tenements, 1 m. N. of the church.
Chaureth Green, S. side
a (21). Cottage, now two tenements, 1¼ m.
N.N.W. of the church. The walls are partly
a (22). Cottage, 100 yards E. of (21) is partly
a (23). Cottage, now two tenements, 300 yards
E. of (22).
a (24). Chaureth Green Farm, house, 1½ m. N.
of the church. The plan was originally rectangular,
but 18th-century and modern additions have
made it T-shaped, with the cross-wing at the N.
end. Over the main doorway is the date 1793,
probably that of the plaster on the walls. The
original central chimney-stack is cross-shaped
and set diagonally. In a modern addition is a
17th-century door of moulded battens.