19. CLAVERING. (A.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)viii. S.W. (b)xiii. N.W. (c)xiii. N.E.)
Clavering is a large parish and village about 6 m.
S.W. of Saffron Walden. The village, though
scattered, shows traces of early importance. The
Church, the Castle and houses (9) and (10) are the
b (1). Parish Church of St. Mary and St.
Clement, stands on the W. side of the village.
The walls are of flint rubble with a little stone,
and have embattled parapets; the dressings are
of coarse limestone and clunch; the roofs are
covered with lead. The Chancel was built c. 1360.
The Nave, with clearstorey, the North and South
Aisles, the West Tower and the South Porch were
built c. 1400; the irregular width of the S. aisle
indicates that a building of an earlier date existed on
the site. The church was restored in 1867 and
again in 1893, when the walls of the chancel were
The 15th-century roofs of the nave and aisles
are noteworthy. Among the fittings the early 13th-century effigy in the N. aisle, the pulpit, screen
and seating dating from the 15th century, and the
remains of 15th-century glass are especially
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (36 feet
by 19 feet) has the axis inclined slightly towards
the N. The E. window is modern, except the
internal splays and two-centred chamfered rear
arch with a moulded label, which are all of the
14th century. In the N. wall, at the W. end, is
a window entirely modern, except the 14th-century opening, which is hollow-chamfered on
the internal edge, and has a two-centred arch,
with a carved head, now defaced, on the E. side,
and a carved animal on the W. side of the springing level. In the S. wall are two windows, the
eastern entirely modern, and the western similar
to that in the N. wall, the carved head being that
of a man in a liripipe head-dress; between the
windows is a modern doorway. The late 14th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of two
orders, the outer chamfered and dying on to the
side walls, the inner moulded and springing from
head-corbels; on the gable above the arch is a
sanctus bell-cot with a plain opening covered by a
slab, which supports a square stone with trefoiled
panels, and a weathered finial.
The Nave (64 ft. by 25 ft.), with the clearstorey,
is entirely of early 15th-century date. The N.
and S. arcades are each of five bays, with moulded
columns, stopped and moulded at the bases,
and each having on the N. and S. sides, an attached
shaft with moulded capital and base; the moulded
arches are four-centred, except in the easternmost
bay of each arcade, which is narrower than the rest,
and has the mouldings of the E. segment of the arch
broken and continued vertically down the face of
the wall to the springing level; all the arches have
moulded labels on both sides, which stop on the
shafts of the columns. In the E. abutment of the
S. arcade is the semi-octagonal stair-turret of the
former rood-loft; it is entered from the S. aisle
by a doorway with chamfered jambs and four-centred head, and is lighted by a small loop on
the N. side, and by a small window of two lights on
the S. side; the upper doorway is blocked. The
clearstorey has, in the E. wall, immediately below
the parapet, a small blocked window of two
uncusped four-centred lights under a depressed
head; the N. and S. walls have each five windows,
all externally restored, and the four eastern on each
side are of three cinquefoiled lights under a segmental-pointed head; the westernmost window is
similar to the others, but of two lights; below the
ledges is a moulded internal string-course.
The North Aisle (14½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall,
a 15th-century window of four cinquefoiled lights
and tracery under a segmental-pointed head
with a moulded external label; one mullion has
been completely renewed with wood and another
partly restored with plastered brick. In the N.
wall are four windows of the same date and design
as that in the E. wall, but each of three lights;
some of the mullions are of modern wood; all the
labels are modern, and the lights of the westernmost
window are blocked at the bottom; the second
window from the E. end is set higher than the
rest, and below it is the N. doorway, possibly of
the 14th century, re-used; the jambs and two-centred arch are of two moulded orders, and the
external label is also moulded. In the W. wall is
a window similar to those in the N. wall, but now
blocked and only visible outside.
The South Aisle (11 ft. wide at the E. end,
diminishing to 9¼ ft. at the W. end) is entirely of
early 15th-century date. In the E. wall is a window
of four cinquefoiled lights and tracery under a four-centred head, considerably restored. In the S. wall
are four windows, each of three cinquefoiled lights
and tracery under a four-centred head, all much
restored. Between the second and third windows is
the S. doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred arch under a square head with traceried
spandrels; the ends of the moulded external
label have been destroyed. In the W. wall is a
window similar to those in the S. wall.
The West Tower (14¾ ft. square) is of four stages
with right-angled buttresses and an embattled parapet, and is almost entirely of early 15th-century
date. The two-centred tower-arch is moulded; the
moulded responds have each an attached shaft
having a moulded capital enriched with leaf-ornament. The W. window is of four cinquefoiled lights and tracery in a two-centred head,
all much restored; the W. doorway is modern,
except the internal splays and segmental rear
arch. The third stage has, in the N. wall, a small
square-headed window; the S. and W. walls have
each a cinquefoiled light, externally completely
renewed. The bell-chamber has, in each wall,
a window of two cinquefoiled lights with tracery
under a two-centred head, completely renewed
externally, and internally partly covered with
The South Porch (11 ft. by 10 ft.) is entirely
of early 15th-century date. The outer entrance
has a moulded two-centred arch in a square
head, with internal and external traceried spandrels; the external spandrels have each a blank
shield, and the moulded external label has
grotesque head-stops; the responds have been
much restored, and are each of two moulded
members, the inner member having a moulded
capital. In each side wall is a much restored
window of two trefoiled lights in a square head
flanked internally by corresponding panels, which,
with the moulded internal jambs of the window,
are carried down to a modern seat.
The Roofs are almost entirely of the 15th-century;
the low-pitched roof of the chancel has moulded
main timbers and cambered tie-beams with curved
brackets; the wall-plates are embattled; some
of the timbers have been renewed. The low-pitched roof of the nave is of five bays with some
modern timbers; the main timbers are moulded,
and the tie-beams have each a large grotesque
face in the middle of the soffit, and curved brackets;
at the feet of the intermediate rafters are carved
figures of seraphim; one of the figures on the N.
side and two on the S. side are missing; in the
two E. bays, at the intersection of the rafters with
the purlins, are foliated bosses. On the S. side the
stone corbels which support the trusses are original,
one is carved as a bishop's head and the rest are
grotesques; on the N. side all, except one, are
modern. The flat lean-to roof of the N. aisle
is of four bays with moulded principal timbers,
which have curved brackets and, at the intersections, foliated bosses; there are fragments of
an embattled wall-plate; three carved figures,
two seraphim and an angel holding an organ,
remain at the feet of the intermediate principals.
The roof of the S. aisle is similar to that of the
N. aisle, but the spandrels of the brackets are
richly carved, and at the main intersections are
carved bosses, one representing a man and woman,
each with a string of beads; two carved figures
of seraphim and a third figure in an alb and amice
remain at the feet of the intermediate principals.
The roof of the S. porch has moulded main timbers,
embattled wall-plates and three carved bosses,
one of them having two shields; the E. shield
is charged with a plain cross with a border, and the
W. shield with a saltire with a border and a label.
Fittings—Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In
nave—at E. end, (1) of Ursula, wife of Thomas
Welbore of Pondes 1591, two kneeling figures, that
of the man in civilian dress, one son, and five daughters, inscription, two scrolls, a crest, four shields and
the indent of fifth shield. At vicarage—loose,
(2) of Joane Day, 1593, two figures, man in civilian
dress, woman with beaver hat, and inscription;
(3) of [. . . . Songar], two figures, lower half only
of man in civilian dress, woman in modified horned
head-dress, group of nine daughters, c. 1480. Indents: In nave—(1) of marginal inscription with
separate letters, early 14th-century. In N. aisle—
(2) of two figures, with children, inscription plate
and shield. In churchyard—outside N. doorway,
(3) of two figures, with children, inscription plate
and two shields. Chairs: In chancel—two, of
oak, with turned legs, curved arms, and back
carved with round pattern, 17th-century. Chests:
In N. aisle—(1) of oak, with panelled front and
sides, two old locks and handles, 17th-century.
In W. tower—(2) of oak, heavily iron-bound,
with semi-cylindrical lid, 17th-century. Communion Table: In chancel—with turned legs,
carved upper rail and plain lower rail, early 17th-century, now grained and varnished. Doors:
In chancel—in S. doorway, of oak, 17th-century.
In tower—in W. doorway, part of framework, old.
Font: of Purbeck marble, octagonal bowl with
two shallow pointed panels in each side, central
stem surrounded by eight circular shafts, early
13th-century, restored, stem and base modern.
Glass: In N. aisle—E. window, in upper part
of lights, representing scenes from the life of St.
Katherine; in N. light a crowned female saint
with four philosophers and remains of three other
figures, inscribed scrolls (a) Credo in Deum patrem;
(b) Ego nego; (c) Ego probo; in second light
remains of martyrdom of philosophers, God the
Father above, with Souls ascending as birds; in
third light St. Katherine and the Emperor (fragmentary); in fourth light, St. Katherine taken to
prison and fragment of inscription, 'Hi(c) Sca Ka
. . .'; in background, other figures, a decapitated head, etc., and porch with shield, dotted field,
a cross or; in the tracery, figures of the Virgin and
St. Gabriel with scroll, Ave Maria, etc., and six
angels, some fragmentary; in N. wall, in tracery of
easternmost window, figures and various fragments;
figures represent St. Cecilia virgo, St. Sitha, the
Coronation of the Virgin and St. Apolonia, some
with scrolls inscribed with the names; in second
window, various fragments in third light, including
remains of figure of St. Michael, in tracery, six
coloured roundels; in third window, in tracery,
figures of two seraphim and four angels in albs and
amices, some of the figures damaged; in westernmost window, in middle light, panel with inscription
to William Barlee, 1693, and achievement of arms;
in tracery, fragments only. In S. aisle—E. window,
in heads of lights, figures of two angels, a seraph
and a half-length kneeling figure in scull cap, in
tracery, head of Christ, crowned with thorns, a sun,
rose and fragments; lying loose, in the aisle, a
leaded light, head made up of fragments, all c. 1450,
except 17th-century panel and glass in second
window in N. wall of N. aisle, c. 1400. Lectern:
(See Pulpit). Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on S. wall, (1) to John Smith,
pastor of the church, 1616, small marble tablet with
cornice and flanking columns, and painted kneeling figure at desk. In nave—on E. wall, (2) to
William Barlee, c. 1610, Elizabeth (Seree) his wife,
c. 1620, John, son of William Barlee, 1633, Mary
(Haynes) his wife, 1643, and William, their son,
1635, alabaster and black marble tablet, with arms.
In N. aisle—in recess in N. wall (see Recess), (3)
effigy in mail, legs broken off at knees; coif fastening at side of head, mail coat reaching almost to
knees, surcoat with long openings under arms,
sword and much broken shield, early 13th-century;
(4) of Haynes Barlee, 1696, and his three wives,
the last Mary (Riddlesden), 1714, marble tablet
with bust and shield of arms under a pediment,
erected 1747; on W. wall, (5) of Margaret, wife of
Haynes Barlee of Curls, 1653, large tablet of
coloured marbles with pediment and shield of arms,
marble bust, and on base, small figures of children,
and seven skulls on coffins for children who died in
infancy; (6) of Mary (Turner), second wife of
Haynes Barley, 1658, tablet similar to (5), but
without figures at base; W. of N. doorway—
(7) coffin-slab with cross in relief, broken and
damaged at lower end, 14th-century. Floorslabs: In nave—at E. end, (1) to Richard Godfrey,
1699, Mary, his first wife, 1683, and Ann, his
second wife, 1690, part of slab hidden. In N.
aisle—(2) to William, son of William Benson of
Brent Green, 1677, with arms; (3) to William
Benson of Brent Green, 1659, and Elizabeth
(Barley) his wife, 1677, with arms; (4) to Christopher, son of William Benson, of Brent Green,
1681, with arms; (5) to Margaret, wife of Haynes
Barlee . Niche: In tower—in S. buttress,
shallow, square, with chamfered edges. Painting: In nave—on stair-turret of rood-loft, traces of
red colour. Piscinæ: In chancel—with chamfered jambs having small shafts with moulded
capitals and bases, cinquefoiled ogee head with
label and foliated finial, octofoil basin and remains
of wooden shelf, 14th-century. In N. aisle—
in abutment of arcade, with chamfered jambs
and two-centred head, cinquefoil basin, probably
15th-century, re-cut. In S. aisle—with chamfered
jambs, four-centred head and septfoiled basin,
15th-century. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of 1662. Pulpit (see Plate, p. xxxi): of oak,
inlaid with other woods and with seven complete
sides, carved with semi-circular arches and interlacing pattern, early 17th-century; stem with
attached buttresses, hexagonal moulded base with
quatrefoils, 15th-century, formerly belonging to a
lectern; curved brackets supporting pulpit, 17th-century. Recess: In N. aisle—now containing
effigy (see Monuments), with segmental pointed
arch, having moulded edge, remains of label and
pinnacle at each end, 15th-century. Screen:
Under chancel-arch—of five bays including central
doorway, side bays with open upper panels having
pointed and traceried heads and ogee sub-heads
cusped and sub-cusped; moulded posts and rail;
below rail, close panels, two in each bay with traceried and carved heads; doorway with moulded
ogee head, cusped and sub-cusped, and having finial
extending to the moulded cornice, and traceried
spandrels on each side, cornice possibly partly
17th-century, and partly modern; close panels
below rail formerly each with a painted figure of
a saint, in black lines on white ground, those N. of
the doorway all destroyed, those S. of it much
damaged, but representing St. Anthony, St.
Leger (?), St. Laurence, St. Stephen, St. Edmund,
St. Agnes, a king and one other, early 15th-century.
Seating: In chancel—S. side, one popey on stall,
15th-century. In each aisle—eleven benches with
moulded rails, plain backs and traceried ends
with buttresses, 15th-century. Miscellanea: In
S. aisle—cut in one of S. buttresses, fragment
of Sundial, possibly 18th-century.
Condition—Structurally good, stonework of window of N. aisle badly decayed, leading of old glass
b(2). Clavering Castle, 50 yards N. of the church,
is situated at the bottom of a small valley about
280 feet above O.D. The river Stort, here quite
a small stream, flows a few yards to the N. of the
The work as it now stands consists of an island
nearly rectangular in shape, slightly over an acre
in extent, defended by a moat about 18 feet
deep and 75 feet wide, which is now only partly
wet, and has the eastern arm partly filled in with
material from the island. No masonry remains are
now visible, but the irregularity of the surface suggests the presence of foundations. The level of the
ground slopes gently from W. to E., and there is
a retaining bank on the counterscarp on the E.
side, and an original outlet from the moat at the
N.E. corner. On the N. side there is a strong
counterscarp bank to the moat, beyond which is
a hollow area, probably the original bed of the
stream which is connected with the moat by a gap
in the counterscarp, which would probably have
been closed by means of a sluice. At the E. end
of this hollow area is a dam, and the general lie
of the ground seems to suggest that there may at
one time have been a mill at this spot. There are
slight remains of earthworks E. and W. of the main
work, but they are too imperfect to allow any
estimate of their use to be made.
b(3). S.E. of Starling's Green, rectangular, with
a fish-pond, now dry, W. of it.
c(4). At Grange Farm, about ½ m. N.W. of
Rickling Church, circular, with a second moated
site on the N.E., and traces of a third on the S.E.
a(5). At Clavering Farm, nearly 2 m. N.N.E.
of the church, very imperfect.
a(6). Thurrocks, farmhouse, outhouse, barn
and moat, nearly 1½ m. N.W. of the church.
The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and
covered with plaster, with some brickwork;
the roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in
the 16th century, but has 17th-century additions
on the N. side and at the E. end; the first floor was
altered in the 18th century. The S. front is faced
with modern brick. At the W. end the upper
storey projects, and at the back there is some
17th-century brick. The original central chimney-stack has been restored, and has three grouped
shafts set diagonally on a rectangular base. Inside the building two moulded ceiling-beams are
exposed in the parlour, and the beams and joists
are visible in the scullery. One old battened door
The Outhouse, S. of the house, is of two storeys
with attics, built late in the 16th century. The
walls are timber-framed and covered with weather-boarding; the roof is tiled. The ceiling-beams
are visible and one of them is moulded.
The Barn, S.W. of the house, is of weather-boarded timber-framing, with a thatched roof.
It is of early 17th-century date and of five bays,
with side aisles.
The Moat is a fragment of a small oblong moat
and is 50 feet in width.
Condition—Of house, good; of outbuilding,
fairly good; of barn, very bad.
b (7). Clavering Place, farmhouse, stable and
moat, ¾ m. N. of the church. The House is of
two storeys; the walls are of brick; the roofs
are tiled. It was built apparently late in the 15th
century, when it consisted of a Great Hall, with the
Solar at the W. end. In the 17th century the Hall
was sub-divided and an addition made on the N.
side of the house. The walls were re-faced with
brick in the 19th century, and there is a modern
brewhouse. The lower parts of the chimney-stacks
are of 17th-century brick.
Interior—On the ground floor, the W. room has
early 17th-century panelling with a carved frieze;
some of the panels have traces of an inscription. On the first floor the W. room has panelling
and a small moulded cornice of early 17th-century
date; the door has similar panels, a contemporary latch and ornamental hinges. On the
same floor is a 17th-century door of moulded
battens, and another door with moulded panels.
In one of the partitions are remains of a truss
of the roof of the Hall, with a massive cambered
and hollow-chamfered tie-beam which has curved
braces and hollow-chamfered wall-posts.
The Stable, S. of the house, has timber-framed
and weather-boarded walls and a thatched roof.
It is probably of the 17th century.
The Moat formerly surrounded the house,
and was rectangular, but only two arms remain.
Condition—Of house and stable, good.
b (8). Curls, farmhouse, barn and moat, 700
yards S.W. of the church. The House is of two
storeys; the walls are of modern brick; the
roofs are tiled. The chamfered ceiling-beams
and a wall-post in the kitchen, probably of the
17th century, are the only evidences of antiquity
in the building.
The Barn, N.W. of the house, is of the
17th century; it is of four bays with timberframed and weather-boarded walls; the roof
is covered partly with corrugated iron and partly
with thatch. On one side is a projecting entrance.
The Moat surrounding the house is oblong and
Condition—Of house and barn, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century, and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Many of the buildings have
exposed ceiling-beams, wide fireplaces and original
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
b (9). House (see Plate, p. xxvi), five tenements,
30 yards S.W. of the church, was built late in the
15th century, probably as almshouses. On the S.E.
front the upper storey projects and has a moulded
bressumer, supported by curved and hollow
chamfered brackets; the wall-posts have remains
of moulded capitals. At the E. corner of the
building the lower storey has a large angle-post with
two attached buttresses and a large moulded
capital, from which springs a curved and moulded
angle-bracket. At the N.E. end the upper storey
projects, and has a moulded bressumer similar to
that on the S.E. front, and on the ground floor is a
modern oriel window with a 15th-century support
and capping of moulded wood.
b (10). House and shop, S. of (9), is of two
storeys with attics and a cellar. The walls are
partly of brick and partly of plastered timberframing; the roof is tiled. The original house
of c. 1600 was enclosed in an L-shaped addition
c. 1690; modern additions have been built on
the N. and W. sides.
House and Shops, Plan
The S. end and the S. part of the E. front are
of red and blue bricks of c. 1690, with a plain band
between the storeys, and a wooden eaves-cornice
with dentils; the rest of the E. front is timberframed and covered with plaster, and the eaves
cornice is continued along it. On this side there
are three gabled dormers. The sash windows have
moulded frames, but only one of them has old
sashes. The doorway on the S. has a late
17th-century architrave, modillioned cornice and
panelled door. The passage S. of the shop on the
E. front has a moulded door-frame of c. 1600, and
a door of the same date.
The late 17th-century portion of the W. elevation
is similar to the S. end, but this side of the original
house is plastered and has a gabled dormer window,
two original windows with moulded frames,
mullions, etc.; it also retains an original doorway
with a moulded wood frame and a contemporary
door of battens.
Interior—The Store-room (1) has a large open
fireplace and a chamfered ceiling-beam; the
pavement is of stone, laid in patterns, probably of
c. 1690; in the S. wall are remains of an original
moulded door-frame; the doorway opening into
the Shop (2) has an original moulded frame and
battened door with ornamental strap-hinges.
The passage S. of the shop is partly paved with
stone slabs, set diagonally, of c. 1690. The
two Rooms (3 and 4) in the S. wing are lined
with panelling of c. 1630, re-used; both fireplaces
have moulded architraves of c. 1700, and carved
overmantels of c. 1630; the woodwork in the
S.E. room is now painted, and the overmantel
has three round-headed panels, separated by
Ionic pilasters; the overmantel in the S.W.
room has similar panels, divided by reeded pilasters
with moulded capitals and bases. The closets
have some panelling of c. 1630. Under the
stairs is an original door of moulded battens.
On the first floor the two rooms in the S. wing
have bolection-moulded panelling of c. 1700,
now painted; in the E. room the frieze is partly
carved, and over the fireplace is a crude painting
of the Sacrifice of Isaac. In the W. room, on
each side of the doorways and windows, are
carved pendants of foliage and fruit; the fireplace has a moulded architrave and above it is
a panel painted with a landscape, enclosed in a
carved oak frame. Above the doorway opening
on to the landing is a small painted panel enclosed
in a similar frame and representing a hunting scene.
The closet S. of the fireplace has some panelling
of c. 1630. A room in the original part of the
house has a fireplace with chamfered jambs
and three-centred head; near it is a cupboard
with a 17th-century ornamental catch to the
door. In another room is an original door with an
ornamental catch. The oak Staircase (5) of c. 1690,
has a moulded handrail and twisted balusters
up to the first floor level; above it the balusters
are turned, with square newels, and against the
walls are half-balusters widely spaced, and possibly
belonging to an earlier staircase; one wall of the
staircase is painted with two subjects, the lower
apparently representing the return of Jephtha,
and the upper the sacrifice of his daughter. The
ceiling of the landing is also painted, but is now
much decayed. In the attic, one room has,
over the fireplace, a painting of Christ and the
Woman of Samaria; the door has a latch and
drop handle of c. 1700.
Condition—Good, but plaster scaling off, and
the S. wing, now uninhabited, is neglected.
b (11). Cottage, two tenements, opposite (10)
with weather-boarded walls.
b (12). The Bury, 130 yards N.E. of the church,
is of two storeys with a cellar. The S. front has
three gables, each with an original moulded
barge-board; in the middle is a gabled and two-storeyed porch which rests on two posts, and has
a similar barge-board and a moulded lintel;
the doorway is original and has a shaped head,
moulded frame and panelled door with one strap-hinge. At the back is an original door of battens
with ornamental strap-hinges. At the E. end,
is a doorway with an original moulded frame.
The central chimney-stack has an original base
with a moulded capping. Inside the building
are some battened doors, one panelled door, and,
in the scullery, a little panelling, all original.
b (13). House, now five tenements, 140 yards
E. of (12), was built in the 16th century, and has
been restored. It is of irregular plan, and the
walls are almost entirely covered with weather-boarding. On the E. front, at the S. end, is a
wing of which the upper storey projects on four
brackets, and a gable further N. has an original
b (14). House, now the Post Office, S. of (13),
has been much altered, restored and enlarged. At
each end of the N. front the upper storey projects
on curved brackets.
c (15). Priest's Farm, house and barn, 400
yards E. of the church. The House was considerably enlarged and the walls were entirely re-faced
with brick in the 19th century. The original central
chimney-stack has grouped shafts. Inside the
building, two rooms have a little 17th-century
panelling, not in situ.
The Barn, N.E. of the house, has weather-boarded walls, and is of seven bays with side
aisles. A second Barn, E. of the house, is similar
to the other, but is of three bays.
b (16). House (see Plate, p. xxv.), in the grounds
of the Grange, 350 yards W. of the church, was
built early in the 16th century, and has a modern
addition at the W. end. On the S. front the upper
storey has close-set vertical timber-framing, with
brick filling set diagonally. At the E. end the
upper storey is similarly treated and projects
with a moulded bressumer and two curved brackets,
one with a carved spandrel; the gable also projects
and has moulded barge-boards and an apex
pendant; the moulded bressumer has a pendant
at each end, from which springs a depressed
arch, with carved spandrels; the window on the first
floor has an original moulded frame and mullions,
and is partly blocked. Two original windows
with moulded frames and mullions remain at
the back, but one is blocked. The original chimney-stack at the W. end has a cross-shaped shaft,
Condition—Poor and dilapidated.
b (17). Cottage, two tenements, 250 yards S.W. of
Curls; the walls are partly weather-boarded. The
central chimney-stack has attached square shafts.
b (18). Farmhouse, at Starling's Green, about
¾ m. S.W. of the church, is of two storeys with
attics, and has a modern addition at the N.W.
b (19). Deer's Farm, house, outhouse and barns,
at Deer's Green, 1,200 yards W. of the church.
The House is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the N.E. and S.E. The S.
front has been re-faced with modern brick, and a
modern room has been added on the S.E. The
original chimney-stack has four detached square
shafts, rebuilt at the top, on a rectangular base
with a moulded capping.
The front wall of the garden is original, and of
brick and flint with remains of two gate piers.
The Outhouse, at the back of the house, is a
square building of brick and mud.
A Barn, N.W. of the house, is of four bays
with one aisle; the walls are partly weather-boarded. Another Barn, W. of the house, is
L-shaped; the walls are weather-boarded.
b (20). Ford End House, 1 m. W. of the church,
has modern additions at the E. end and at the back.
b (21). Chamberlayne House, 70 yards W. of (20),
is of late 16th or early 17th-century date. The
original central chimney-stack has two attached
shafts, set diagonally. Inside the building, the S.E.
room has a moulded ceiling-beam and moulded
joists, one with a foliated stop; the wall-plates
are carved with foliage.
b (22). Yew Tree Farm, house and barn, 340
yards E.N.E. of (21). The House has a low
modern addition at the S.E. end. On the front
the upper storey projects on curved brackets, and
the original central chimney-stack has grouped
square shafts with diagonal pilasters; the shafts
are set diagonally on a square base with a moulded
The Barn, N.W. of the house, has weather-boarded walls.
Condition—Of barn, poor.
b (23). Cottage, at Further Ford End, 1½ m.
N.W. of the church, has weather-boarded walls.
The original central chimney-stack is cross-shaped and set diagonally.
b (24). Cottage, W. of Roast Green, 1¼ m. N.W.
of the church. The walls are almost entirely
covered with weather-boarding.
b (25). The Roast, farmhouse, about 1 m. N.W.
of the church, is of c. 1700. The walls are partly
weather-boarded and partly of brick.
b (26). Cottages, a range of four, on the W. side
of the road, nearly 1 m. N.W. of the church.
Condition—Poor, plaster decayed.
b (27). House, two tenements, on the E. side of
the road, 80 yards S.E. of (26), is of L-shaped plan
with the wings extending towards the N. and W.
One chimney-stack has an original cross-shaped
shaft, set diagonally.
b (28). Valance, farmhouse, 1 m. N.W. of
the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the N. and E. On the front
the lower storey is of modern brick. The original
chimney-stack has attached pilasters, set diagonally.
Inside the building, the staircase-door of moulded
battens is original.
a (29). Butts Green Farm, house and barn, on
the N. side of the road, nearly 1¾ m. N.W. of the
church. The House is of two storeys with attics.
At the N. end is a modern extension, and the
W. front, with part of the S. end, is faced with
modern brick. The original chimney-stack has
pilasters set diagonally on a rectangular base with a
moulded capping. Inside the building, on the
ground floor, are two original doors of moulded
battens, and a cupboard of c. 1700. On the
first floor are four original doors of moulded
battens; one room has an original stone fireplace
with moulded jambs, four-centred head, and an
entablature with a carved arabesque frieze; the
small room at the N. end retains the carved frieze,
but there is no trace of the fireplace-opening
below it. The original staircase has square newels,
moulded handrails and strings, and shaped and
pierced pilaster balusters.
The Barn, S.E. of the house, has weather-boarded walls, and is of three bays with side
a (30). Cottage, 60 yards S. of (29).
b (31). Millend Farm, house and barn, nearly
¾ m. N.W. of the church. The House was originally
of L-shaped plan, but a modern addition at the
back makes it rectangular. The S. front has
been re-faced with modern brick. The original
central chimney-stack has grouped square shafts.
The Barn, W. of the house, is weather-boarded
and of three bays.
Elmstreet Lane, W. side
b (32). Cottage, 80 yards S. of (31), with a modern
tenement at each end.
b (33). Cottage, two tenements, 120 yards S. of
(32). All the walls of the lower storey, and the
W. wall of the upper storey are covered with
Stickling Green, N. side
c (34). Cottage, two tenements, nearly ¾ m.
N.N.E. of the church.
c (35). Cottage, 160 yards E.S.E. of (34); the
walls are partly weather-boarded.
c (36). Cottage, two tenements, 50 yards S.W.
of (35). The original central chimney-stack has
c (37). Cottage, two tenements, E. of (36), is
of late 17th or early 18th-century date.
c (38). Cottage, now the lodge of Clavering
Court, 200 yards E. of (37), has a modern addition
at the back. The original central chimney-stack
has three attached square shafts, set diagonally.
Clatterbury Lane, W. side
c (39). Cottage, 1 m. N.E. of the church; the
original central chimney stack is of cross-shaped
c (40). Cottage, 270 yards S. of (39).
Wicken Road, N. side
c (41). Cottage, two tenements, 60 yards E. of
c (42). Cottage, 400 yards E.N.E. of (41).
c (43). Cottage, S.W. of Hill Green, on the E.
side of the road, 700 yards E.N.E. of the church,
is of late 17th or early 18th century date.
c (44). Cottage, two tenements and shop, 120
yards S. of (43), with a modern addition at the
back. The roof is covered with corrugated iron.