21. ELMDON. (A.b.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)ii. S.W. (b)viii. N.W. (c)viii. S.W.)
Elmdon is a parish and village about 5 m. W. of
b (1). Parish Church of St. Nicolas stands at
the cross-roads in the village. The West Tower
is of the 15th century. The rest of the church
was rebuilt in 1852 and 1879, possibly on the old
foundations. The walls are of flint rubble with
dressings of clunch, limestone and shelly oolite.
Architectural Description—The West Tower (13½
ft. by 12 ft.) is of the 15th century, much restored,
and of three stages with a moulded plinth,
diagonal buttresses and a N.W. stair-turret; the
embattled parapet is modern; below it are four
original gargoyles. The tower-arch is also
modern. The W. window of three lights is externally modern, but internally original, and the W.
doorway below it is also modern externally with
the original internal splays and rear arch. In
the second stage the W. and S. walls have each
a window, both apparently modern. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two lights,
externally modern, but internally they are perhaps
Fittings—Bells: six; 3rd by Richard Keene,
1700. Brasses and Indents: In chancel—(1) of
civilian and two wives, c. 1530, man's figure in fur-lined cloak with hanging sleeves, women with flat
caps, groups of children, marginal inscription with
Evangelistic symbols, indent of inscription plate;
(2) to Thomas Crawley, 1559, four inscription
plates, groups of four sons and eight daughters,
indents of two figures. Chairs: In chancel—two,
of oak, without arms, simply ornamented, plain
seats, early 17th-century. Chest: In vestry—
iron-bound, 17th-century. Font: modern, except
octagonal stop-chamfered base, c. 1400. Monument:
In chancel—against N. wall, to Thomas Meade,
"secundo justiciaio de banco," 1585, altar tomb of
marble, sides with cusped panels having shields of
arms, plain slab with marginal inscription, above
it a cusped panelled canopy, with Tudor flower
cresting and panelled soffit, on panelled flankingpieces, with shields of arms and crests, same
arms and crest repeated at the back, and same
shield on canopy. Piscina: In S. chapel—re-set
and restored, with cinquefoiled head and modern
basin, 15th-century. Plate: includes standing
paten of 1633, dated 1634, and cup of 1634.
a (2). Fortified Mount, in Castle Grove, ¼ m.
N.N.W. of the church, is 165 feet in diameter at
the base, and has a strong rampart round the top
and a dry ditch round the base.
Condition—Good; thickly planted.
a (3). Site of Dagworth Manor House, 500 yards
N.W. of the church.
b (4). N.W. of the inn and 400 yards S. of the
church, traces only.
b (5). Piggott's Farm, house and moat, 550
yards S. of the church. The House, now two
tenements, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built early
in the 16th century, the roofs forming two crosswings at the N. and S. ends. A wing was added
on the E. side c. 1665. At each end of the W.
front the upper storey projects and is gabled. The
end wall of the E. wing is of brick, and has three
circular windows and a projecting chimney-stack
which bears the date and initials 1665 T.M.,
and has three diagonal shafts on a moulded base.
The central chimney-stack has some old bricks at
the base. Inside the building, on the ground floor
the rooms have old ceiling-beams, that in the E.
room rests on shaped wall-posts with carved and
moulded heads. A panelled door is of the 17th
century. On the first floor is an original fireplace
with a four-centred head, now blocked. The roofs
of the two cross-wings are of king-post type.
The Moat is complete.
b (6). House, 60 yards S.E. of the church, is of
two storeys with attics; the walls are timberframed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It
was built c. 1600, on an L-shaped plan with the
wings extending towards the N. and E. A second
wing was added on the E. in the 18th century.
At each end of the W. front the upper storey projects and is gabled; the gables have original
barge-boards, one being moulded; the plaster
retains some original ornament, including a rough
cartouche and a band of arabesques; under a
window at the S. end, is an original roughly
moulded sill. Inside the building, the ground floor
has chamfered ceiling-beams, and at the top of
the staircase is a plain rail with shaped balusters.
The roofs have heavy cambered tie-beams.
(7). House, about 100 yards S.E. of the church,
is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered;
the roofs are tiled. It was built c. 1625, and has
a modern addition on the S. On the N. front the
upper storey projects on rough brackets, and has
a moulded and dentilled bressumer; above it
is a band of ornamental plaster; the projecting
porch has a gable with moulded and dentilled
barge-boards; the doorway has an original
moulded frame, and moulded and panelled door.
At each end of the building the gables have bargeboards similar to those of the porch. Inside the
building, on the ground floor, the rooms have
chamfered ceiling-beams; the E. room has an
original fireplace with chamfered jambs and four-centred head; the overmantel is simply panelled,
and the walls are covered with original panelling,
in which there is a cupboard with pierced pilasters.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century, and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings have
original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces, and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b (8). House, now two tenements, 50 yards W.
of the church, was built c. 1600, and has modern
additions on the N. side. On the S. front the upper
storey projects. The original central chimney-stack has three square attached shafts. Inside
the building, the ground floor has moulded ceilingbeams.
b (9). Cottage, two tenements, on the N. side of
the Heydon Road, 170 yards W. of the church,
is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the S.
end. There is a modern addition on the W. side.
At the E. end of the cross-wing the upper storey
Main Street, W. side
b (10). House with shop, 100 yards S.W. of the
church, was built probably c. 1600, and there
are modern additions at the back. In front the
upper storey projects.
b (11). King's Cottage, 300 yards S. of (10), has
an 18th-century addition at the W. end. At the
E. end of the S. front the upper storey projects
and is gabled.
b (12). Cottage, 100 yards S.E. of (11).
b (13). Cottage, two tenements, E. of (12).
b (14). Cottage, about 300 yards S. of the church,
was built probably in the 15th century, and has an
18th-century addition at the back. A blocked
window, apparently of three lights, originally unglazed, and the remains of a truss in the roof,
suggest the former existence of an open Hall.
b (15). The Bangles, house, now four tenements,
140 yards N. of (14), was built late in the
16th century on a half H-shaped plan with the
wings extending towards the E. The space between the wings was filled in probably in the
18th century. The W. front has a gable at each
end, and under the S. gable the upper storey projects; the N. gable has original dentilled bargeboards. The N.E. wing is also gabled and has
original barge-boards. The original chimney-stack at the S. end has an elaborately 'crow-stepped' base and two linked hexagonal shafts.
Inside the building, one original window with
diagonal mullions, now blocked, is visible in the
E. wall of the main block.
Quickset Road, S. side
b (16). Cottage, 320 yards E.N.E. of the church.
b (17). Cottage, 90 yards E.N.E. of (16).
a (18). Cottage, 90 yards E.N.E. of (17), is of
late 17th or early 18th-century date.
b (19). Cottage, two tenements, N. of Bridge
Green, and about 1½ m. S. of the church. The
walls are partly weather-boarded.
b (20). Cottage, two tenements, at Upper Pond
Street, about 1½ m. S.S.W. of the church.
The original central chimney-stack has diagonal
b (21). Cottage, three tenements, E. of Duddenhoe
End, and nearly 2 m. S. of the church.
b (22). Cottage, two tenements, W. of Rockells
Farm, and nearly 2 m. S. by E. of the church.
c (23). House, at Cooper's End, about 2½ m.
S. of the church, was built c. 1700, and has an 18th-century addition at the S. end.
b (24). Moated Mound, possibly site of windmill,
650 yards S.E. of the church.