23. FARNHAM. (A.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxii. N.W. (b)xxii. N.E. (c)xxii. S.W.)
Farnham is an agricultural parish about 2 m. N. of
Bishop's Stortford. There is no village; Hazel End
is the most considerable hamlet, and has, in an
orchard, a derelict Nonconformist graveyard of the
b (1). Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin,
on the W. side of Hassobury Park, was entirely
rebuilt in 1859, but retains from the old church the
Fittings—Bells: six; 1st, 1618; 4th, 1615; 5th,
1625; all three by Miles Graye. Communion
Table: In vestry—with turned legs and carved
upper rails, early 17th-century. Glass: In organ-chamber—in E. window, figure of St. Basil the
Great, as an archbishop, in mitre and cope, holding
a cross, round the head of figure original border;
at the sides small Renaissance capitals; below
figure inscription in black-letter, early 17th-century, probably Flemish, set in modern glass, in a
wooden frame, and said to have been brought from
Ghent by a former rector. At rectory—leaded panel
made up of fragments of tabernacle work, 15th-century. Monument: In tower—in ground stage,
on N. wall, tablet of slate, to Henry Lilley, Rouge
Dragon, 1638; in second stage, alabaster segmental pediment and base of tablet, each with a
coat of arms, both loose, but part-of same monument. Plate: includes cup with cover of 1612, of
secular origin, cup and cover with repoussé work,
baluster stem, handle of cover in form of a coiled
serpent, formerly gilt.
a (2). Walker's Manor House, now a farmhouse, with barn, outbuildings and moat, 680
yards W.S.W. of the church. The House is of two
storeys with attics and cellar; the walls are partly
of brick and partly timber-framed and covered
with plaster; the roofs are tiled. It was built
c. 1560 on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing
at the W. end. Early in the 17th century a
staircase wing was added at the back, a small
gabled wing at the N. end, and a cupboard wing
at the S. end of the cross-wing. On the W. front
the ground storey was faced with brick at the same
time. The building has been much altered at
various dates, and the chimney-stack of the kitchen
is possibly of c. 1700.
The late 16th and early 17th-century panelling
The original plan was of the usual form with
a Great Hall, now the dining-room, in the middle;
a passage now represents the Screens at the N.
end, entered through a projecting porch; the Solar
wing at the S. end is now the drawing-room, and the
kitchen at the N. end is the present breakfast-room. The wing at the back is occupied by the
present kitchen and store-rooms.
The W. Front has, at each end, a gable; in the
middle is a moulded bressumer at the level of the
first floor, which originally projected but has been
under-built with modern brick; the rest of the
ground floor is of 17th-century brick. The gabled
porch is of two storeys; it has an arched outer
doorway and two arched recesses in the side
walls; above the doorway is an original window
of four lights with moulded oak mullions. At the
S. End is an original chimney-stack, repaired at the
top; the two octagonal shafts have moulded caps
and bases; the projecting cupboard wing has a
17th-century casement window. The E. Elevation
has a projecting bay, now carried up to the roof;
on the ground floor the original window lighting the
drawing-room has moulded oak mullions and
transom; N. of the gabled staircase wing is an
original chimney-stack with blue diapering and
modern shafts. The N. Elevation has on the N.
side of the back wing a large brick chimney-stack
of c. 1700, and at the end of the main block an
original stack, uniform with that at the S. end, but
unrestored. The small projecting wing is gabled
and has a moulded oak barge-board.
Interior—On the ground floor the dining-room
has a panelled dado made up of early 17th-century
woodwork. The drawing-room has an original
moulded oak door frame; the walls are panelled
to the ceiling with 16th and 17th-century oak, and
on each side of the fireplace is a fluted pilaster
with a capital of combined Doric and Ionic form;
the recess of the modern window has Jacobean
panelling. The breakfast-room is lined with
painted panelling, which has a carved frieze and
a small cupboard beside the fireplace, with a
'gate' of turned balusters. The wing at the
back retains the original shaped wall-posts on
the S. side, and on the first floor one cambered tie-beam with curved braces is exposed. The staircase
to the cellar has an original door. On the first floor
the bedroom over the drawing-room has two
original battened doors, and the walls are lined
with panelling, divided into bays by pilasters
similar to those in the drawing-room. The attic
room has an original nail-studded door and an
original blocked fireplace with a four-centred brick
head. A considerable amount of panelling has
been re-used in other parts of the house.
The Barn, S.W. of the house, is possibly of late
16th-century date; it is of eight bays, with
narrow aisles; the walls are timber-framed and
weather-boarded; the roof is thatched.
The Outbuilding, N.W. of the house, is probably
of the 17th century, and the Cart-shed, of five
bays with an open front, may be of late 17th
The Moat is wide and rectangular with a cross
arm; the house occupies the S. half of the site
enclosed; the S. part of the work is obliterated.
Condition—Of house, fairly good, two chimney
stacks are insecure; of outbuildings, fairly good;
of moat, incomplete.
The following buildings, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century, and of two
storeys, timber-framed and covered with plaster or
weather-boarding; the roofs are tiled or thatched.
Many of the buildings have original chimney-stacks,
wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, without exception.
b (3). Earlsbury Farm, house, now two tenements, with barn, 820 yards S.W. of the church.
The House was built on a rectangular plan c. 1600,
and a wing of irregular shape was added at the
back, probably late in the 17th century, making
the plan L-shaped. At the S.W. end of the original
block the upper storey projects on two curved
The Barn, N.W. of the house, is probably of
c. 1600. The middle part fell down a few years
ago, the two ends are now standing; both have
a (4). Cottage, now three tenements, at Levels
Green, 200 yards W. of (3), is T-shaped on plan
with the cross-wing at the N.E. end. The S.E.
chimney-stack is set diagonally.
b (5). Globe Farm, house, 400 yards W. of the
church; is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the E. and N.; they are apparently of slightly different date, and there is a
modern extension on the N. end.
Farnham Green, N. side
a (6). Cottage, 1,400 yards W.N.W. of the church,
has a half-hipped gable at the N.W. end. The
original central chimney-stack has diagonal pilasters on each face and stands on a rectangular
a (7). Cottage, two tenements, 370 yards N. of
(6). The roof is brought down low at the back.
a (8). Barns, two, at Farnham Hall, 580 yards
S.S.W. of (7). The barn N. of the house is of
three bays, and that W. of the house is of three
and a half bays; both have aisles.
a (9). Shawwood Cottages, 390 yards W. of (8).
The 17th-century building is of red brick, with
a chamfered plinth and a band formed by two
over-sailing courses between the storeys. In
front is an original doorway, now blocked, and
above it is a blocked window. At each end are
18th-century or modern additions.
b (10). Panelling, at Bournehill Cottage, 500
yards S. of the church; is of the 17th century and
forms a partition; probably taken from the
Hazel End, W. side
b (11). Lower Farm, house and barn, nearly
1 m. E.S.E. of the church. The House has a
small modern addition at the N. end, and the roof
is carried down low at the back. The original
central chimney-stack has rectangular pilasters,
and the chimney-stack at the N. end has stepped
brickwork and two octagonal shafts, restored at
the top. Inside the building one partition is
made up of early 17th-century panelling with
some carved work.
The Barn, near the house, is of the 17th century.
b (12). Cottage, two tenements, 40 yards S.W.
of (11) has been much altered. Inside the building
is some early 17th-century panelling, said to have
come from the former church. There is also some
moulded panelling of c. 1700.
b (13). Upper Farm, house and barn, 70 yards
E. of (12). The House is possibly of late 16th-century date. The plan is L-shaped with the
wings extending towards the W. and S. In front
there is a gable at each end and the upper storey
The Barn, S. of the house, is of five bays with
an aisle on the S. side.
b (14). The Three Horse Shoes Inn, 70 yards S.E.
of (13) has been entirely restored outside, and
has three dormer windows in front.
b (15). Cottage, now three tenements, 100 yards
N. of (14), has a hipped roof carried down low at
b (16). Cottage, N. of (15), with a modern addition
at the back. The timber construction is exposed
in the upper storey.
b (17). Cottage, N. of (16). The roof is carried
down low at the N. end.
b (18). Cottage, two tenements, 140 yards N.
of (17), with a hipped roof.
b (19). Barns, two, and Outbuilding N.W. of
Hassobury House, ¼ m. N.E. of the church. One
barn is of six bays with aisles and two porches on
the E. side. The second barn is smaller than the
other, and has a porch on the S. side. The outbuilding, S.E. of the barns, is built of red brick
and has a modern cupola.
c (20). Wickham Hall, 1¼ m. S.S.W. of the
church, is partly in this parish and partly in
Bishop's Stortford. For description see Inventory of Hertfordshire.