32. GREAT MAPLESTEAD. (E.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xi. S.E.; (b)xii. S.W.; (c)xvi. N.E.;
Great Maplestead is a parish and scattered
village about 2 m. N. of Halstead. The Church
is the principal monument.
Great Maplestead, Parish Church of St. Giles
a(1). Parish Church of St. Giles stands in
the village. The walls are of flint and pebble
rubble with dressings of limestone and clunch;
the roofs are tiled. The Apse and West Tower
were built in the 12th century. Early in the 13th
century the Quire was rebuilt. About the middle
of the 14th century the S. arcade of the Nave was
built and the South Aisle added; a few years
later the South Transept was added. Early in the
17th century the upper part of the W. tower,
including most of the E. half, was rebuilt; soon
afterwards the S. transept was probably extended
towards the S. to contain the Deane monuments.
The church was restored in the 19th century when
the North Vestry, the North Transept and Aisle
and the South Porch were added.
The 12th-century apse, and the 17th-century
monuments in the S. transept are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Apse (6 ft. by
8½ ft.) has three round-headed windows, all modern
except the E. window, which is probably of the
12th century. The semi-circular arch between the
apse and quire has plain chamfered imposts; it
has apparently been entirely restored.
The Quire (18 ft. by 15 ft.) has, in the N. wall,
an early 13th-century lancet window, almost
entirely restored; below it is a 13th-century
low-side window of slightly later date, with a
lancet head and segmental rear arch; the opening has an old iron stancheon and bars; further
E. is the head of another lancet, now blocked, and
beyond it is a modern doorway. In the S. wall
are two windows, both of c. 1330, but almost
completely restored; they are each of two trefoiled
lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head;
between them was formerly a doorway. The
chancel-arch is probably of mid 14th-century date
and is two-centred and of two chamfered orders;
the responds have each an attached semi-octagonal
shaft with moulded capital and base.
The Nave (35½ ft. by 19 ft.) has a modern N.
arcade of three bays. The mid 14th-century
S. arcade is of three bays; the two-centred arches
are of two chamfered orders, and the columns are
octagonal with moulded capitals and bases; the
responds have attached half-columns.
The South Transept (20½ ft. by 12 ft.) has, in
the E. wall, a mid 14th-century window of three
lights, the middle one cinquefoiled and the side
lights trefoiled, and all under a two-centred head.
In the S. wall is a window, all modern except the
internal splays. In the W. wall is a late 14th-century arch of two chamfered orders; it is of
four-centred form but broken on the N. side to abut
on the arcade wall above the capital of the first
The South Aisle (10 ft. wide) has, in the S. wall,
a 13th-century doorway, probably not in situ; it
has roll-moulded jambs and a two-centred arch
with a moulded label. In the W. wall is an early
17th-century window of red brick and of two four-centred lights under a square head.
The West Tower is of two stages, the lower being
of two storeys; the walls of the ground storey,
with the western half of the upper storey and of
the second stage are of 12th-century rubble, the
rest is of early 17th-century brickwork; the parapet
is embattled. The early 17th-century tower-arch
is probably all of brick; it is two-centred and of
two orders, the outer square, and the inner
chamfered; the responds have semi-octagonal
shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The
N. and S. walls of the ground storey each have
a 12th-century window of one light, with a modern
wood frame; in the W. wall is a modern window.
In the second storey the N., S. and W. walls each
have a rectangular loop of early 17th-century date,
with internal splays of the 12th century. In the
bell-chamber the N., S. and W. walls each have a
window of two pointed lights in a two-centred head,
probably of the 13th century, rebuilt early in the
17th century; in the E. wall is an early 17th-century window of brick with two four-centred
lights under a four-centred head.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by John Danyell,
15th-century, inscribed 'Sancta Margareta Ora
Pro Nobis'; 2nd by Henry Pleasant, 1700;
bell-frame with curved braces, 16th-century or
earlier. Brasses and Indents. Indents: In nave—
in middle, of figures of man and two women, inscription plate, two groups of children and four
scrolls, 15th-century. Coffin-lid: In quire—set
in sill of S.E. window, with cross in relief, early
13th-century, part missing. Cupboard: In vestry—
corner cupboard, with attached and twisted
balusters at sides, carved upper rails, panelled door
formerly with moulded fillets, late 17th-century.
Monuments: In S. transept—on E. wall, (1) of
Sir John Deane, Deputy Lieutenant and J.P. for
Essex, 1625 (see Plate, p. xxx.), of alabaster and
marble, set in recess, with Ionic side-columns,
reclining effigy in plate armour, feet on crest—a
muzzled bear's head; on shelf at the back, kneeling
figures of widow, four daughters and two sons,
three shields or cartouches of arms; on W. wall
(2) of [Anne (Drury)] wife of Sir John Deane,
1633, erected by her son, Sir Dru Deane, 1634 (see
Plate, p. 130), of alabaster and marble, with projecting shelf resting on Ionic columns and supporting recumbent effigy in plate armour, large round-headed recess at the back of shelf containing
upright figure of woman in shroud, broken pediment
at the top with two angels; two cartouches of
arms. In church-yard—S. of chancel, (3) to John
Bourchier, M.D., 1690, and John, his son, 1689,
table-tomb of brick with stone slab with shield
of arms. Piscina: In S. transept—in E. wall,
with chamfered jambs and cinquefoiled ogee head,
cinquefoiled drain, late 14th-century. Plate: includes pewter flagon dated 1709 and pewter salver,
probably of the same date, with initials J. D.
Miscellanea: S. transept—on S. gable, square
stone sundial, with iron gnomon, dated 1660.
Condition—Good, much restored.
c (2). Dynes Hall, house, stables, outbuilding,
pigeon-house and barn, 1 m. S. of the church.
The House is of two storeys with attics and cellars;
the walls are of brick, and the roofs are tiled.
A projecting wing at the N. angle of the house was
built probably in the 16th century, but the main
block was rebuilt at the end of the 17th century.
There is a modern wing on the N.E. side.
The S.W. front has rubbed brick quoins and a
dentilled cornice surmounted by a low parapet.
The middle bay projects slightly, and between the
lower storeys is a moulded string-course. The
windows are symmetrically placed and have
eared architraves of rubbed brick; in addition,
the windows of the ground floor have moulded
cornices. The other sides of the main block are
similar in character to the front elevation; the
roof is hipped at the angles. Over a doorway in
the N. wing is a late 17th-century flat hood,
supported by carved brackets.
Interior—The principal rooms on the ground
and first floors of the main block have late 17th-century panelling, except the W. room on the
ground floor, which is lined with late 16th-century
panelling, re-used, and with an enriched frieze;
the fireplace in the same room has a late 16th-century mantelpiece carved with arabesque ornament. The late 17th-century staircase in the
main block is panelled, and has heavy moulded
strings and twisted balusters. The walls of the
modern drawing-room are lined with late 16th-century panelling, and the doors and fireplace have
carved heads and floriated ornament of mid-16th
century date, brought from Cust Hall, Toppesfield.
The late 17th-century staircase in the N. wing
has twisted balusters and a moulded hand rail.
In the cellar are 16th-century ceiling-beams, reused, and preserved there are some carved bargeboards of the same date. Some early 17th-century panelling has been re-used in the attics.
The Outbuilding, N. of the stables, is of two
storeys, partly timber-framed and plastered, and
partly of brick; the roof is tiled. It was built
early in the 17th century.
The Pigeon-house, S.W. of the stables, is timberframed and plastered, and has a pyramidal tiled
roof gabled at the apex. It was built c. 1600.
The Barn, N.W. of the stables, is timber-framed
and weather-boarded and has an aisle on the S.
side. It was built early in the 17th century.
In the Bathing-house are some late 16th-century
quarries of glass, including the Royal Arms and
badges, the date 1595, and initials, E. I. B. etc.
Condition—Of all the buildings, good; barn
destroyed by fire since investigation.
b (3). Byham Hall, farmhouse, about 1 m.
N.E. of the church, is of two storeys, timberframed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It is of
half-H-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the N. Probably it incorporates part of a
15th-century building and was partly rebuilt late
in the 16th century, when the chimney-stacks were
inserted. The S. front has been re-faced with
modern brick, and some of the plaster has fallen
off the other walls, exposing the close-set timberframing. At the N. end of the E. elevation are
remains of a plaster scroll and foliage-ornament of
the 17th century. The late 16th-century W.
chimney-stack has four octagonal shafts on a
square base. Inside the building, several rooms
have exposed ceiling-beams. The entrance hall
has a dado of late 16th-century panelling, re-used.
On the first floor a room in the N.E. wing has a
cambered tie-beam with one curved brace. Behind
the modern staircase is a rounded newel post,
possibly that of the former staircase. The roof of
the main block has cambered collar-beams.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century, and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings have
original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
c (4). Cottage, two tenements, on the W. side of
the road, 200 yards S.W. of the church, was built
probably late in the 16th century; the addition
at the back is modern. The N. end of the front
elevation projects slightly and is gabled; further S.
is a blocked original doorway with chamfered jambs
and a four-centred head. The original central
chimney-stack has three octagonal shafts, modern
at the top; on the base is a cemented panel with a
date in pebbles, apparently 1637.
c (5). Cottage, 130 yards S. of (4), has three
gabled dormers on the E. front; on one of them
is the modern painted date 1672. The original
central chimney-stack has a shaft T-shaped on
Lucking Street, W. side
d (6). House, 400 yards S.E. of the church, is
of two storeys with attics and a cellar. The
main block is of rectangular plan with a wing projecting from the W. end; the W. half of the
wing is probably an 18th-century addition, and
there are modern additions on the S. side of the
main block. On the S. elevation is a gabled
dormer, dated 1612. The original central chimney-stack has one square and two diagonal shafts
d (7). Cottage, three tenements, 80 yards S. of (6),
with an 18th-century addition on the W. side.
d (8). Cottage, two tenements, 140 yards S. of (7),
with a modern addition at the S. end. Inside the
building is a board with an inscription recording
the purchase of the land by John Morley of
Halstead, 1681, but the cottage is possibly of later
d (9). Little Lodge Farm, house, now two tenements, 1,000 yards E.S.E. of the church, with a
modern addition on the N. side. The roof is
hipped at both ends and the original central
chimney-stack is of T-shaped plan.
d (10). Cottage, on the S. side of the Little Maplestead road, ½ m. S.S.E. of the church, is of two
storeys with attics, and has a modern addition at
the E. end. The front and back elevations have
each a gable at the E. end.
d (11). Cottage, two tenements, 30 yards W. of
(10), with a modern addition at the W. end.
d (12). Mill Farm, house, 280 yards S. of (11), is
of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the W. end.
Inside the building, in the cross-wing a wide fireplace has an old iron rack and hook. In the upper
storey of the E. wing is a cambered tie-beam with
c (13). Warden's House, attached to the House of
Mercy, 650 yards S.S.W. of the church, was built,
possibly early in the 16th century, with a central
Hall and Buttery and Solar wings at the N. and S.
ends. A wing was added on the E. side probably
in the 17th century. There are small modern
additions on the E. side. The W. front has a
gable at each end.
c (14). Barrett's Hall, farmhouse, 100 yards W.
of (13), was originally a cottage of rectangular plan
with a central chimney-stack of late 15th-century
date. The additions on the W. and S. sides are of
the 18th century, and there is a large modern block
on the E. side. At the N. end of the original
building the upper storey projects. The central
chimney-stack has two attached diagonal shafts
with a modern top.
c (15). Cottage, now two tenements, 640 yards
W.S.W. of (14), with modern additions on the N.
and E. sides. The roofs are covered with slate.
The original central chimney-stack has two
attached diagonal shafts, modern at the top.
c (16). Cottage, on the W. side of the Halstead
road, 280 yards S. of (15), with a modern addition
at the back.
c (17). Hull's Farm, house, about 1¼ m. S.W.
of the church, is of two storeys with attics. It
was originally of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending N. and E. The space between the
wings was enclosed in the 18th century and there
are modern additions on the E. side. Inside the
building, on the first floor, the shaped wall-posts
a (18). Hosden's Farm, house now two tenements, ¾ m. N.N.W. of the church, is of L-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the W.
and S. The original central chimney-stack has
a (19). Chelmshoe House, ½ m. N.N.W. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics. The walls
are of brick, and the roof is hipped and has a
wooden eaves-cornice. It was built early in the
18th century. On the S. front the doorway has an
original rusticated architrave, a frieze and a
pediment, all of wood. Inside the building, five
rooms are partly lined with original panelling
and have white veined marble fireplaces. The
original well-staircase has columnar newels and
balusters with the rail carried over the newels;
the cut-strings have brackets carved in low relief.
The ceiling of the staircase is panelled and enriched
with a rose in the middle, and palm branches; the
cornice has egg and tongue ornament. In the
attics are four doors made up of early 17th-century
a (20). Hopwell's Farm, house, 1 m. W. of the
church, has 18th-century or modern additions on
the W. and E. sides. On the S. front, below the
eaves, are four shaped Jacobean brackets probably
not in situ. In the W. wall is an original window
of two lights with a moulded frame; the casement
has an ornamental hasp. Inside the building, on
the ground floor, the entrance hall has a dado made
up of original panelling; in the N.E. corner is a
small staircase with original newels, two of them
have moulded raking finials and another has a
pierced finial. In the E. wall is a wide open
fireplace with a late 17th-century moulded architrave. The S.E. room has a fireplace with a similar
architrave. On the first floor the front room has a
late 17th-century fireplace with a panelled overmantel.