AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS
IN CENTRAL AND S.W. ESSEX.
ACCREDITED TO A DATE ANTERIOR TO 1714,
arranged by Parishes.
(Unless otherwise stated, the dimensions given in the Inventory are internal. Monuments with titles
printed in italics are covered by an introductory sentence, to which reference should be made. The key
plans of those churches which are not illustrated by historically hatched plans are drawn to a uniform
scale of 48ft. to the inch, with the monumental portions shown in solid black.)
1. ABBESS RODING. (D.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xlii. N.W. (b)xlii. N.E. (c)xlii. S.W.)
Abbess Roding is a parish and small village about
5½ miles N.N.E. of Chipping Ongar. The Church
is the principal monument.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Edmund stands in
the village. The walls are of flint-rubble partly
coursed and with dressings of clunch; the roofs
are tiled. The Nave was probably re-built in the
14th century, but the plan and the position of the
doorways indicate a much earlier origin. The
Chancel was probably re-built in the 15th century.
The church was restored in the 19th century, when
the West Tower and North Vestry were added
and the South Porch re-built.
The projecting cupboard on the N. of the chancel
is an unusual feature, and among the fittings the
late 15th-century screen is noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22 ft.
by 15½ ft.) has a modern three-light E. window.
In the N. wall are two windows, the eastern of two
cinque-foiled lights with uncusped spandrels in a
square head, all probably of late 14th-century
date, re-set when the rear-arch was built blocking
the outer spandrels; the re-set early 14th-century
western window is of two trefoiled ogee lights
under a square head, the outer spandrels are
covered by the later rear-arch; between the windows is a 14th-century doorway or hatch with
chamfered and rebated jambs and two-centred
arch, now blocked but said to have opened formerly
into a small chamber or cupboard; a rectangular
external projection, covered by a pent roof, encloses
this cupboard. In the S. wall are two windows
of the 15th century, partly restored, and of two
cinque-foiled lights under a four-centred head; the
jambs and arch are moulded; between the windows
is a 15th-century doorway much restored, it has
moulded jambs and two-centred arch under a
square head with a moulded label and traceried
spandrels enclosing blank shields. The late 14th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of two
moulded orders; the responds have each a semi-octagonal shaft with a modern capital.
The Nave (39½ ft. by 21½ ft.) has in the N. wall
two windows, the eastern is of two lights with
modern tracery in a two-centred head, probably
of late 14th-century date; the western window is
modern; between the windows is the mid 14th-century N. doorway with moulded jambs and
two-centred arch of two orders with a label and
defaced head-stops. In the S. wall are two windows
uniform with the corresponding windows in the
N. wall, but the eastern is unrestored; the S.
doorway has been entirely restored.
The Roof of the chancel is of the 15th century
and has embattled wall-plates, one moulded and
one chamfered tie-beam with curved braces;
the eastern tie-beam has a moulded straining beam
and wall-posts. The 15th-century roof of the nave
has two moulded tie-beams, curved braces with
traceried spandrels and moulded wall-posts; the
modern wall-plates at the W. end show the position
of the former timber bell-turret.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by John Walgrave,
15th-century; 2nd uninscribed, probably 15th-century; 3rd by John Hodson, 1665. Brass: In
nave—on S. wall, to Edward Humberstone, 1622,
inscription-plate with shield of arms. Font:
square bowl with carved sides, N. and W. with
scrolled foliage, E. with large flowers, S. with
crescent, disc, whorl, two circles with flowers, etc.;
circular stem with four small shafts, square base
with moulded edge, late 12th-century, bowl bound
with iron. Glass: In chancel—in S.E. window,
figures of bishop in mass vestments (Plate p. xxxiv),
and of lady, probably St. Margaret, tabernacle
work, fragments, etc., 15th-century. Piscinæ:
In chancel—with cinque-foiled head, all modern
or re-cut. In nave—in S. wall, with cinque-foiled
ogee head and square drain, 14th-century. Hourglass Stand: fixed on splay of window, next pulpit,
of wrought iron, plain, early 18th-century. Monuments: In nave—on N. wall, (1) of Sir Gamaliel
Capell, 1613, tablet of alabaster and black marble
with kneeling figures of man and wife at prayer-desk, flanked by Corinthian columns supporting
entablature and achievement of arms, kneeling
figures of children and two more shields of arms;
on S. wall, (2) of Mildred (Capell) wife of Sir William
Lucklyn, Bart., 1633, tablet of alabaster and black
marble with half-length figure of woman in recess
with cherubs holding back curtains; segmental
pediment and achievement of arms. Screen
(Plate p. 2): under chancel-arch, not in situ,
of three and a half double bays, each sub-bay
with cinque-foiled, sub-cusped and traceried head,
rail with carved running ornament, close lower
panels with traceried heads and bases, doorway of
one double bay; late 15th-century, cresting
modern. Sounding Board: over pulpit, supported
by fluted Doric pilaster, inlaid soffit with enriched
cornice, early 18th-century. Stoup: In S.
porch—E. of S. doorway, with four-centred head
and broken basin, 15th-century.
a(2). At Berwick Berners Hall, ½ m. N.N.E.
of the church.
a(3). At site of former Congregational Chapel,
nearly ¾ m. W.N.W. of the church.
c(4). Rookwood Hall, house, barns and moat,
¾ m. W.S.W. of the church. The House is of
two storeys, partly timber-framed and plastered
and partly of brick; the roofs are tiled. It is
part only of a larger house built early in the 16th
century and is now L-shaped on plan with the
wings extending towards the N. and W. The
exterior is much patched and altered but the base
of an original chimney-stack remains on the W.
side. The N. end has a little diapering in black
bricks. Inside the building the ground floor has
original moulded ceiling-beams resting on moulded
wall-posts. The modern staircase incorporates a
newel and two turned balusters of the 17th
century. On the first floor the main room is of
three bays with moulded wall-posts and plates
and a 17th-century barrel ceiling with chamfered
oak ribs. In the W. wall is a blocked original
doorway with stop-moulded oak jambs and four-centred arch in a square head with foliated spandrels. Another room has an original moulded
The two Barns E. of the house are timber-framed and weather-boarded and were built
probably early in the 16th century. The larger
barn is of seven bays with two porches and both
have original roofs with tie-beams and octagonal
king-posts (Plate p. 114). The smaller barn has
original windows with the mullion bars set
The Moat surrounds the house and outbuildings.
It was formerly sub-divided and had an outer
enclosure on the S.
Condition—Of house, ruinous.
b(5). Nether Farm, house and moat about
¾ m. N.E. of the church. The House is of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled. It was built in the 17th century on a
rectangular plan. The original central chimney-stack has four conjoined shafts set square on plan.
The Moat is incomplete.
Condition—Of house, good.
a(6). Barn, at Abbess Roding Hall, N. of the
church. It is timber-framed, partly plastered and
partly with brick filling; the roof is of corrugated
iron. The barn was built in the 17th century
and is of five bays with a porch on the N. side.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Several of the buildings
have original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
b(7). Cottage, 100 yards S.S.W. of (5) has an
original central chimney-stack with four grouped
shafts set diagonally.
b(8) Cottage, 100 yards S. of (7).
b(9) Hales Farm, house nearly 1 m. N.E. of the
church. Inside the building are two original
doorways with pedimental shaped heads.
a(10). Fairlands, house about 1 m. W. of the
church, was built in the 16th century but has
been refaced with modern brick. Inside the
building one room has original moulded ceiling-beams.
c(11). Leader's Farm, house about 1¼ m. S.W.
of the church. The original central chimney-stack
has attached diagonal pilasters.