6. BERNERS RODING. (E.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. xlii. S.E.)
Berners Roding is a small parish on the E. side
of the River Roding, 7 m. E.N.E. of Chelmsford.
(1). Parish Church (dedication unknown),
stands in the middle of the parish. The walls are
partly of flint-rubble and partly of red brick, with
dressings of limestone, clunch and brick; the
roofs are tiled and the bell-turret weather-boarded.
The Chancel and Nave are of uncertain date.
Early in the 16th century the E. and W. walls
were re-built above the window-sill levels and the
South Porch was probably added at the same time.
In the 18th and 19th centuries buttresses have
been added, and the porch and the N. wall of the
nave partly re-built.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (20½ ft.
by 17 ft.) has in the E. wall a 16th-century window
(Plate, p. 271) of three lights with moulded brick
mullions and vertical tracery under a two-centred
head with a moulded label. In the N. wall are
traces of a former window of uncertain date. In
the S. wall are two windows: the eastern is of two
ogee cinque-foiled lights with moulded jambs under
a square head with a moulded label of the 14th
century, partly restored; the western is of the
16th century and of two ogee lights under a square
head with a moulded label, all of brick; between
the windows is a doorway, now blocked, with
chamfered jambs and two-centred head, probably
of the 14th century. There is no chancel-arch,
but the chancel is divided from the nave by brick
piers, probably of the 16th century, supporting a
The Nave (37½ ft. by 19 ft.) has in the N. wall
a single window, all modern except for the splays
and rear-arch, which are probably of the 14th
century; further W. is the former N. doorway,
now blocked, with four-centred rear-arch probably
of the 15th century. The S. wall has a 16th-century chamfered plinth of brick; in the wall are
two windows; the eastern is modern except the
splays, the western is of the 16th century and of
brick, now plastered; it has two four-centred
lights under a square head with an oak beam in
place of a rear-arch; between the windows is the
S. doorway, modern except for the splays and
segmental-pointed rear-arch. W. of the S. doorway the nave is partitioned off as a vestry. In
the W. wall is a window with old splays but now
partly blocked to form a casement window.
The South Porch has 16th-century dwarf brick
walls surmounted by timber-framing which is
almost entirely modern.
The Roof of the chancel is probably of the 16th
century. It has moulded and cambered tiebeams, king-posts with curved struts, and moulded
wall-plates. The roof of the nave has moulded
wall-plates probably of the same date.
Fittings—Bell: one, by John Dyer, 1594.
Chair: In chancel—panelled back with round
arch enriched with guilloche ornament, etc.,
shaped cresting and arms, turned front legs,
early 17th-century. Coffin-lids: Outside S.
porch—two tapering slabs. Glass: In chancel—
in S. windows, fragments of white and brown leaf
design, 14th-century. Monument: In chancel—
on S. wall, to Thomas Carowe, 1591, and Joane
(Sorrell) his wife, 1593, marble tablet with panelled
pilasters and plain entablature. Niche: In nave,
on south pier dividing chancel and nave, shallow
niche with square head, 16th-century. Piscina:
In chancel—damaged drain, two-centred and
chamfered arch, probably 14th-century. Plate:
includes cup with incised foliage-ornament, 1627.
Recess: In chancel—in E. wall, square stone
locker, possibly 14th-century.
Condition—Poor; bad cracks in the walls, and
buttresses falling away.
(2). At Berners Hall, E. of the church.
(3). At Asfeldens, 1,000 yards S.S.E. of the
(4). Parsonage Farm, house, now two tenements, and moat, 300 yards E.S.E. of the church.
The House is of two storeys, timber-framed, partly
plastered and partly faced with modern brick;
the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th
century and is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the S. end.
The Moat is fragmentary.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
(5). Cottage, two tenements, 700 yards S.E. of
the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roof is thatched. The cottage
was built in the 17th century and has an original
(6). Motts, cottage, ¾ m. S.W. of the church, is
of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered;
the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the
16th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the N. and W. A chimney-stack at the back is original.