17. CHIGWELL. (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lviii. S.E. (b)lxv. N.E. (c)lxvi. N.W.)
Chigwell is a parish and village 5 m. N. of Ilford.
The Church, Woolston Hall, Rolls and the Grammar
School are the principal monuments. The King's
Head Inn (8) has been identified with Dickens'
a(1). In the N. of the parish, in gravel beds,
about ½ m. N.E. of Woolston Hall, a tesselated
pavement and "some oak dovetailed boards,"
together with pottery, etc., were found in or shortly
before 1765; and Roman pottery and other objects
have been found at various times in the neighbourhood, especially in digging gravel about 300 yards
N.E. of the Hall. In each of these two main sites a
well has also been found, one of which had later
in the Roman period been used as a rubbish pit.
Both coins and pottery are of all dates. The
evidence is insufficient to indicate the nature or
extent of the settlement. (See Sectional Preface,
c(2). Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin
stands in the middle of the parish. The walls are
of flint-rubble covered with cement and with
dressings of limestone; the roofs are tiled. The
Nave and Chancel, now the South Aisle, were
built in the 12th century. Late in the 15th
century the N. arcade and a N. aisle were built,
the bell-turret added, and the chancel perhaps
extended. In the 19th century the existing
Chancel and Nave were built on the site of the former
N. aisle and the former chancel and chancel-arch
The S. doorway is interesting 12th-century
work, and among the fittings the Harsnett brass
and the Tudor cup are noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The South Chapel
(former Chancel) is modern except for an arch
in the N. wall which forms the easternmost bay
of the N. arcade.
The South Aisle (49 ft. by 23 ft.) former nave,
has a late 15th-century N. arcade of four bays
of which one overlaps the former chancel; the
two-centred arches are moulded and the moulded
piers have each four attached shafts with moulded
capitals and bases; the responds have attached
half-piers. In the S. wall are three windows;
the easternmost is of c. 1400 and of two cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred
head, mostly plastered; the second window is
entirely modern; the third window is probably
of the 12th century, but has an inserted mullion
and is modern externally; the E. splay has been
cut back to widen the glass space; further W. is
the mid 12th-century S. doorway with semi-circular arch of four orders, of which one has
cheveron ornament and the innermost forms a
panelled tympanum with indented ornament with
a segmental soffit; the jambs have each a free
shaft with cushion capital and re-cut base. In the
W. wall is a window of three pointed lights in a
segmental-pointed head, probably of the 15th
century but covered with plaster. The bell-turret at the W. end of the S. aisle stands on eight
posts with tie-beams, curved braces and curved
struts of the 15th century, partly restored.
The Roof of the S. aisle is of 15th-century date
and of three bays with hollow-chamfered tie-beams,
rebated king-posts, four-way struts and a central
Fittings—Brasses: In chancel—in recess on
S. side, (1) of Samuel Harsnett, Archbishop of
York, 1631, bearded figure in mitre, cope, rochett,
etc., with book and crosier, foot and marginal
inscriptions and four shields of arms, evangelists
with their symbols and cherub-heads. In nave—
on S. wall, (2) inscription recording benefactions
of Robert Rampston, 1585. Monuments and
Floor-slabs. Monuments: In S. chapel—on S.
wall, (1) of Thomas Colshill, 1595, and Mary
(Crayford) his wife, 1599, wall-monument with
kneeling figures of man, wife and two daughters
at prayer-desk, with side pilasters, entablature,
urns and a shield of arms. In nave—on S. wall,
(2) to George Scott, 1683, and Elizabeth (Cheyne)
his wife, 1705, black and white marble tablet with
Corinthian columns, broken pediment and three
shields of arms, two in detached panels. In church-yard—(3) to William Browne, 1653, Sarah, his
wife, 1643, and their son, (1711?), table-tomb of
red brick with plain stone pilasters and top slab.
Floor-slabs: In S. aisle—(1) to Sarah (Abdy)
wife of John Penington, 1690, also John Penington,
1702, with shield of arms; (2) to Ann Pelling, 1712,
with shield of arms. Plate (Plate p. xxxix): includes
a secular cup of 1605 or 10 engraved with Tudor
roses alternating with sunflowers; cover-paten
of 1559; cup and paten of 1633; paten of 1633
and a flagon of 1713 with a shield of arms. Stoup:
In S. aisle—E. of S. doorway, with chamfered
jambs and round head, date uncertain.
b(3). Homestead Moat, about 1 m. W.N.W. of
the parish church.
a(4). Rolls, house about ¾ m. N.N.W. of the
parish church, is of two storeys with attics; the
walls are partly timber-framed and partly of brick,
and the roofs are tiled. The kitchen block, in
the middle of the house, was built c. 1600, and late
in the 17th century the N.E. and N.W. wings were
built or re-built, making the plan L-shaped. Early
in the 18th century a long addition was made on
the S.E. side of the N.E. wing and there are
modern additions on the S. and S.W. The elevations have been very largely re-faced, but on the
N.W. side there are two late 17th-century chimneystacks with pilasters at the angles. Inside
the building the kitchen has some original shelves
with elaborately shaped and moulded framing
carried down to the floor as arms to a former
bench. The staircase in the kitchen wing has
original square, moulded balusters, square newels
with moulded tops and bases carved with roses,
moulded strings and rails. The attic staircase
has original flat shaped balusters. There is also a
little panelling, some 17th-century doors and
a(5). Woolston Hall, about 1¼ m. N.W. of
the parish church, is of two storeys with attics;
the walls are partly of plastered timber-framing and
partly of brick; the roofs are tiled. It was built
c. 1600 on an L-shaped plan, with the wings extending towards the N.W. and N.E.; there are modern
additions on the N. The chimney-stacks have
grouped rectangular shafts, one being of cross-shaped plan set diagonally. The front has an early
18th-century eaves-cornice. Inside the building
are some exposed ceiling beams, and the fireplace
in the entrance hall has a 17th-century moulded
shelf with a panel above it, painted with an
achievement of the Scott arms and trophies.
The garden in front of the house has fine early
18th-century wrought-iron gates with an elaborate
c(6). The Grammar School, 60 yards N.E. of
the parish church, is of two storeys; the walls
are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built
probably when the school was founded in 1629.
The master's house at the E. end and the porch are
modern. In the N. wall are several original
windows, now blocked, and of two pointed lights
in a square head with a moulded label. On the S.
side most of the windows are modern, but two
stone windows on the first floor are original and
have square heads and four lights. Inside the
building the Hall rises to the full height and has
two original tie-beams with curved braces and
moulded and shaped queen-posts. There are also
some original doors.
c(7). Church House, S.W. of (6), is of two storeys
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled.
It was built early in the 17th century but has
been much altered. The original chimney-stack
is cross-shaped on plan. Inside the building are
some original ceiling-beams.
c(8). King's Head Inn, opposite the church, is
of three storeys with attics and cellars; the roofs
are tiled. It was built early in the 17th century
and has a late 17th-century wing at the back;
there are many modern additions. On the W. front
(Plate p. 49) the first and second floors project
and have original carved brackets and modern
bressumers. Set in the wall of the second storey
are carved brackets indicating the former bases
of the gables. The original central chimney-stack has grouped diagonal shafts. On the S.
side of the late 17th-century wing are fragments
of a Doric frieze and cornice of wood. Inside the
building one room on the first floor has panelling
partly of mid 17th-century date and a cornice
returned along the cased and panelled ceiling-beam; the fireplace (Plate p. 247) has a carved,
eared architrave flanked by diminishing pilasters
supporting a moulded shelf and an overmantel
divided into three bays by Ionic columns; the
side bays have pedimented panels with strapwork and the freize has carved swags. The upper
staircase has original and symmetrically turned
balusters and square newels with moulded caps.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled. Several of the buildings have original
chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good.
c(9). Harsnett House, N.E. of (8), has modern
additions at the S. end. Inside the building
the staircase has a few original turned balusters
of symmetrical form.
c(10) The Grange, house in Chigwell Road,
¼ m. N.N.E. of the parish church, was originally
built in the 15th century, but has been entirely
re-built and altered except for part of the roof.
This has an original king-post with moulded capital
and base, four-way struts and a central purlin.
There is also a little 17th-century panelling.
a(11). Pettits Hall, about 1 m. N.E. of the parish
church, was built in the 16th century, but the N.E.
end has been re-built and there are various modern
additions. On the S.E. front the upper storey
projects at the S. end and is gabled. The central
chimney-stack has grouped diagonal shafts partly
of the 17th century. Two windows have original
a(12). Turnours Hall, about 1¾ m. N.E. of the
parish church, has been much altered and enlarged.
Inside the building the entrance hall has a
moulded cornice and an original doorway with
a four-centred head and moulded architrave;
the fireplace (Plate p. 247) is flanked by Ionic
pilasters supporting carved terminal figures with
an enriched entablature; between the figures are
two panels with enriched bolection mouldings;
the work is of early 17th-century date refixed with
some later details.
a(13). Marchings, house ¼ m. S.E. of (12), was
built probably early in the 16th century, but has
been almost entirely altered. Inside the building
is an original window with diamond-shaped
mullions, and now blocked.
c(14). Brownings, house in Gravel Lane, about
1½ m. E.N.E. of the parish church, has a late
17th-century addition at the E. end and a modern
addition at the back. The original chimney-stack has two diagonal shafts.
c(15). The Retreat, house, at Chigwell Row,
600 yards N.E. of All Saints Church, was built
probably in the 16th century, but has been almost
entirely altered. On the S. front the upper storey
projects at the W. end and is gabled.
b(16). Brookhouse Farm, house 650 yards S.W.
of the parish church, has on the S.E. front two
gables with original moulded and carved bargeboards. The central chimney-stack has grouped
diagonal shafts. Inside the building is some
original panelling with fluted pilasters.