18. CHINGFORD. (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lvii. S.W. (b)lvii. S.E. (c)lxv. N.W.)
Chingford is a parish and suburb of London on
the left bank of the river Lea. The Church and
"Queen Elizabeth's Hunting Lodge" are the
c(1). Church of S.S. Peter and Paul (Plate
p. 53) stands about 1 m. S.W. of the town and the
modern parish church. The walls are of ragstone
and flint-rubble, mostly coursed, and with some
septaria in the N. wall of the nave; the S. porch
is of brick; the dressings are of Reigate stone;
the roof of the chancel is tiled; the nave and aisle
are roofless. The N. wall of the Nave is probably
of the 12th century, but the upper part has been
re-built in the 15th century. The S. arcade and
South Aisle were built c. 1270–80. The West
Tower was added c. 1400 and the Chancel was
re-built shortly after. Early in the 16th century
the South Porch was added. Probably late in the
17th century the walls of the S. aisle were heightened
in brick. When the new church was built in 1844
the old building was allowed to fall into decay and
the S. arcade has fallen.
The Old Parish Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25 ft.
by 18 ft.) is entirely of the 15th century, and has
an E. window of three cinque-foiled lights with
vertical tracery in a two-centred head with a
moulded label and jambs; the mullions and tracery
are modern. In the N. wall are two windows
each of two cinque-foiled lights under a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label; both are now
blocked with brick; between the windows is a
doorway with moulded jambs, four-centred head
and label. In the S. wall are two windows uniform
with those in the N. wall. The two-centred
chancel-arch is of two moulded orders, the outer
continuous and the inner resting on attached
shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the opening has a modern brick wall below the springing
The Nave (51 ft. by 21 ft.) has in the N. wall
two 15th-century windows each of three cinque-foiled lights in a segmental-pointed head with a
moulded label; between the windows is the 15th-century N. doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred arch with a moulded label. The late
13th-century S. arcade was probably of four
bays but has fallen except the E. respond and the
bases of the second and third columns, which are
round; the E. respond is semi-octagonal with a
moulded capital; loose stones of the former
arcade are stacked in the S. aisle.
The South Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall
a 15th-century window formerly of two cinque-foiled lights under a square head with a moulded
label and now blocked. In the S. wall are two
windows, the eastern is of the 15th century and of
two cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a
defaced label; the western window was probably
uniform with the eastern but has been much altered
and has a modern wooden frame; between the
windows is the 13th-century S. doorway with a
two-centred arch of two moulded orders, the inner
continuous and the outer resting on detached
shafts with moulded capitals and bases with spur
ornaments. In the W. wall is a late 13th-century
window opening, now blocked, and with a
15th-century window of one cinque-foiled light in a
square head set in the blocking.
The West Tower (11 ft. by 10½ ft.) is of c.
1400 and of two stages with an embattled
parapet. The two-centred tower-arch is of two
chamfered orders, both dying into the walls. The
W. window is of one cinque-foiled light with moulded
jambs and is now blocked; above it is a plain loop.
The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of
two cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a
The South Porch is of early 16th-century brickwork, with a moulded cornice at the base of the
gable and continued under the eaves. The four-centred outer archway is of two moulded orders
with a moulded label; the responds are double
chamfered and have moulded imposts. In both
the E. and W. walls is a window of three lights
each with a four-centred head.
The Roof of the chancel is of the 15th century and
of the braced collar-beam type; on the N. is a
moulded and embattled wall-plate. The roof
of the nave has been destroyed but marks on the
W. wall indicate a king-post construction. The
roof of the S. aisle has also been destroyed except
for parts of two tie-beams and the 17th-century
moulded and dentilled wall-plate.
Fittings—Bells: In modern church—three;
1st by Anthony Bartlet, 1657; 2nd by Robert
Oldfield, 1626. Brass Indents: In chancel—
(1) with figures of man and wife, shield and inscription plate of former brass to Robert Rampston,
late 16th-century; on S. wall, (2) of rectangular
plate. Chest: In modern church—iron-bound with
three locks, 17th-century. Doors: In chancel—
in N. doorway, of feathered battens with strap-hinges, 15th-century. In N. doorway—of battens
with strap-hinges, 15th-century. Font: In modern
church—square bowl, of Purbeck marble, each
face with five shallow panels, circular stem with
four angle-shafts, and chamfered base, late 12th-century, top modern. Locker: In nave—S. of
chancel arch, square with rebated reveals, 15th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—(1) to Thomas Boothby, 1669,
black and white marble tablet with drapery,
cherubs' heads and shield of arms. In modern
church—(2) of Margaret, wife of Robert Leigh,
1624, wall-monument with kneeling figure of woman
at prayer-desk in arched recess surmounted by
entablature, broken pediment, obelisks and figure
of time, three shields of arms; (3) of Sir Robert
Leigh, 1612, wall-monument with kneeling figure
of man in armour at prayer-desk under arched
recess, flanked by obelisks and surmounted by
cornice with three shields of arms; (4) of Mary,
wife of Robert Leigh, 1602, wall-monument with
reclining figure of woman and swaddled infant,
in bed under draped canopy, enriched pilasters
at sides with entablature and shield of arms.
Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Margaret, daughter
of Sir Thomas Leigh, 1644; (2) to Anne, daughter
of Sir Thomas Leigh, 1640; (3) to Edward Leigh,
1691, with shield of arms; (4) to Thomas Boothby,
1669; (5) to Robert Leigh, 1672/3, with shield of
arms. In nave—(6) to Elizabeth (Stone), wife of
Edward Leigh, 1673. In S. porch—(7) to Sarah,
wife of Nicholas Pigot, 1670. Panelling: In
chancel—panelled dado, late 16th-century. Piscina:
In S. aisle—in S. wall, with projecting quatre-foiled
drain, possibly 13th-century, modern head. Plate:
includes cup and cover-paten of 1595; stand-paten of 1699 and flagon of 1705. Screen: Under
chancel-arch—at springing level, moulded and
dentilled beam surmounted by a pierced ornamental
finial at each end, of wood, early 17th-century.
Stoup: In nave—E. of N. doorway, with chamfered
jambs, two-centred head and round bowl, 15th-century. Miscellanea: In chancel—moulded
capital of former W. respond, and other fragments,
Condition—Very bad and partly ruinous, all
walls badly cracked and S. wall of S. aisle likely to
fall; pavement of nave and aisle broken up and
roofs removed; all stonework badly weathered.
a(2). At Mountecho Farm, ¾ m. N. of the old
c(3). E. of Oldmans Farm, 650 yards N.N.E. of
the old church.
c(4). At Chingford Hall, nearly 1 m. S.W. of
the old church.
b(5). "Queen Elizabeth's Hunting Lodge,"
now museum, 1¾ m. E.N.E. of the old church, is
of three storeys, timber-framed and plastered;
the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 16th
century as a 'Standing' or building from which
to view the hunting. The two upper floors had
open studding, above breast height, except at the
junction with the staircase wing, and the floors
are said to have been laid to a fall to carry off
rain-water. Late in the 19th century the building
was restored, the timber-framing cased with
boards externally and the roof opened out; the
open studding is now partly filled in.
The house is a scarce survival of its class.
The S. front has a projecting staircase wing and
an early 17th-century chimney-stack, much restored. All the openings on this and the other
fronts are modern or entirely restored.
Inside the building the timber-framing is
exposed. The ground floor has chamfered ceiling-beams and old doorways. The first floor forms a
single room and has original moulded ceiling-beams; between the studding is moulded framing,
partly fitted with modern windows; the doorway
from the staircase has an original moulded frame
and four-centred head with foliated spandrels.
The second floor has also a single room of three
bays with two roof-trusses; these trusses appear
to have originally had tie-beams, now cut back
near the walls, and the collars have the mortices
of a former central purlin; the existing curved
and moulded principals appear to have been
inserted late in the 16th century; the moulded
wall-plates and posts are original. The former
open studding has late 16th-century framing
similar to that on the floor below. The staircase
wing has similar moulded framing and a collar-beam truss to the roof; the doorway has moulded
jambs, four-centred head and sunk spandrels.
Queen Elizabeth's Hunting Lodge, Plan and Sketch
Condition—Good, much restored externally.
c(6). Pimphall Farm, house, dove-house and
barn, 1 m. E.N.E. of the old church. The House
is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered;
the roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in
the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with the
wings extending towards the N.W. and N.E.
On the S.W. front is an original window of two
lights with a moulded frame. Inside the building
are original ceiling-beams.
The Dove-house, N. of the house, is timber-framed and plastered. It was built probably in
the 17th century and stands over an old well.
The Barn adjoins the house on the W. and is
timber-framed and weather-boarded. It is of
five bays with braced tie-beams and wind-braced
purlins probably of the 17th century.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.