31. GREAT HALLINGBURY. (C.a.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxii. S.E. (b)xxxi. N.E.)
Great Hallingbury is a parish adjoining Bishop's
Stortford on the S.E. Wallbury Camp and the
Church are the principal monuments.
b(1). Cliff Camp, known as Wallbury Camp
(Plan p. 95), 1½ m. S.W. of the church, occupies
the end of a spur on the 200 ft. contour-line,
overlooking the valley of the Stort on the W. and
formerly flanked by marshland on the N. and S.
The work consists of a roughly pear-shaped area
of about 31 acres surrounded by a double rampart,
the outer member of which is intermittent on the
W. slope and may never have been strongly marked
on that side. The inner rampart now reaches a
height of 7 ft. above the interior surface, and from
12 ft. to 20 ft. above the bottom of the ditch, which
is from 50 ft. to 70 ft. wide. At the N.E. and
S.E. bends are traces of a second, shallow ditch
beyond the outer rampart. There are now five
gaps in the defences, but the two original entrances
appear to have been on the east and west sides.
On the hillside immediately below the S.W. angle
is a spring. The work has not been properly
excavated, but urns of the late Celtic cordoned
type have been found in the vicinity. Three of
these urns are preserved in Little Hallingbury
Condition—Fairly good; the banks and ditches
are thickly planted.
b(2). Parish Church of St. Giles stands on
the N.W. side of Hallingbury Park. The walls
are of flint-rubble with dressings of Barnack stone,
clunch and Roman brick; the roofs are tiled.
The reconstructed chancel-arch is of late 11th-century date and the S.W. window of the nave is
of the same period. The chancel was re-built late
in the 13th century. C. 1400 the West Tower was
added or re-built. The Chancel and Nave are said
to have been re-built in 1874 when the North
Chapel and North Aisle were added and the South
Porch added or re-built.
The late 11th-century chancel arch and window
are interesting, and among the fittings the alabasters and rood-loft piscina are noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The whole of the
detail work of the chancel and nave is modern
externally. The Chancel (32 ft. by 21½ ft.), has
a three-light E. window with a moulded rear-arch
and label and modern or re-cut Purbeck marble
shafts to the splays, probably all of the late 13th-century date re-set. In the S. wall are two windows,
the eastern has splays with attached shafts with
moulded capitals and bases and a moulded rear-arch and label, all of late 13th-century date re-set;
the western window is carried down low and has
moulded splays and a hollow-chamfered rear
arch, probably of the 14th century re-set; between
the windows is a doorway all modern except the
re-set splays and the base of the outer jambs.
The late 11th-century chancel arch (Plate p. xxx)
is of Roman bricks except part of the N. respond
which is of stone; the semi-circular arch is of
two plain orders with the springing set back from
the face of the responds; the responds have
imposts of two courses of bricks set oversailing;
in the face of the N. respond is a modern doorway
representing the former entrance to the rood-loft staircase; the whole arch has been re-set.
S. of the arch is a recess with a re-set segmental
head and S. jamb, which is splayed back with an
ogee stop of the 14th century.
The Nave (44½ ft. by 25½ ft.), has in the S. wall
three windows; the two eastern have 14th-century
stonework in the splays and rear-arches, re-cut
and re-set; the internal sill of the easternmost
is carried down to form a seat; the western window
is a single late 11th-century light with a round head
and all of Roman brick; between the two western
windows is the S. doorway with a moulded two-centred arch in a square head with a moulded
label, traceried spandrels and blank shields, of
The West Tower (10½ ft. square) is of c. 1400
and of three stages with diagonal buttresses,
S.E. stair turret, an embattled parapet and an
octagonal shingled spire. The two-centred tower-arch is of three orders, the two outer continuous
and moulded on the E. face, and the inner order
chamfered and resting on attached shafts with
moulded capitals and bases. In the S. wall is a
doorway with a two-centred arch opening into the
turret staircase. The W. doorway and window
are modern except for the moulded labels with
head-stops and the splays and rear-arch of the
window. The second stage has modern loops in
the S. and W. walls. The bell-chamber has in
each wall a window all modern except the label
with head stops.
Fittings—Bells: five; 3rd by John Tonne,
1542; 4th by John Waylett, 1713. Brasses
and Indents. Brass: In tower—on N. wall,
to Agnes Parker, 1440, Elizabeth (de la Pole),
wife of Henry Lovell, Lord Morley, 1480, William
Parker, 1520, Alice (Lovell), his wife, 1528, Alice,
wife of Henry Parker, 1552, erected by Sir Henry
Parker, 1556. Indent: In tower—(1) of man in
armour under crocketed and gabled canopy,
marginal inscription and two shields, mid 14th-century; (2) of priest and inscription plate.
In churchyard—by chancel door, (3) of foliated
cross with marginal inscription, early 14th-century.
Glass: In glass case in tower—fragments, 15th-century. Helms: In tower—two funeral helms
(one inlaid) with vizors, probably 16th-century.
Images: In nave—on S.E. window ledge, fragment
of small alabaster images, etc., with original
colour decoration, probably part of former altar
"table," 15th-century. Monument: In tower—
on N. wall, small niche of marble with flanking
columns, entablature and pediment and containing
a figure of Death, probably part of same monument
as brass. Piscina (Plate p. xxx): In nave—high
up in E. wall, S. of chancel arch, with triangular
head of Roman brick, fluted drain, probably of
former rood-loft altar, date uncertain. Plate:
includes cup of 1661 and paten inscribed 1675.
Condition—Good, mostly re-built.
b(3). At the Rectory, 300 yards N.E. of the
b(4). At the Hall, W. of the church.
b(5). At How Green, 1,000 yards S.S.W. of the
b(6). At Bedlar's Green, near the inn, ¾ m. N.E.
of the church.
b(7). Great Jenkins, house, barn and moat,
1,000 yards N.W. of the church. The House
is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered;
the roofs are tiled. It was built possibly in the
16th century, but alterations and additions obscure
the original plan and date.
The Barn, N. of the house, is of weather-boarded timber-framing, with a thatched roof.
It was built probably in the 17th century.
The Moat is fragmentary.
Condition—Of house and barn, good.
b(8). Howlets, house and moat, 1,400 yards
E.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled.
It was built probably early in the 17th century
on a rectangular plan. The original central
chimney-stack has grouped diagonal shafts and a
sunk panel. Inside the building are exposed
ceiling-beams and a wide-open fireplace.
The Moat is incomplete.
Condition—Of house, good, much restored.
b(9). Hallingbury Place, house and stables,
1,200 yards S.E. of the church. The House
is of three storeys; the walls are of brick and the
roofs are tiled. Eighteenth-century and modern
alterations and additions obscure the original plan,
but the W. half of the building incorporates a house
probably of early 16th-century date and possibly
of half H-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the S. The original main block is indicated
by thick brick walls; part of the W. or Buttery
wing survives as the present kitchen, and the
position of the former E. wing is indicated by the
roof-construction approximately behind the central
pediment of the present N. front. On the W.
elevation, some original brickwork with diaperpattern in black headers is still visible. Inside
the building an upper room of the original main
block is lined with 16th or early 17th-century
panelling, now painted. In the kitchen is a long
table with heavy turned legs and carved upper
rail, probably of 16th-century date. In a modern
room at the back of the house is some 16th or early
17th-century panelling and a door of linen-fold
panels with cock's-head hinges. The oak overmantel of this room is of the first half of the 17th
century; on each side of the fireplace is a tapering
enriched pilaster supporting a carved cornice,
above which are two large bolection-moulded
panels, divided and flanked by tapering pilasters
with jewel-ornament, etc.; above them is a carved
frieze with dentils and a cornice supported by a
console over each pilaster. The overmantel and
part of the panelling are said to have been brought
from Coopersale Hall, Epping.
The Stables, W. of the house, are a rectangular
block built of 16th-century brick with modern
roofs and an addition at the E. end.
Condition—Of house and stables, good, largely
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and covered with plaster;
the roofs are tiled or thatched. Some of the
buildings have exposed ceiling-beams, wide fireplaces and original chimney-stacks.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
b(10). Cottages, on S.E. side of the road, 150
yards N.E. of the church, consist of two rectangular
blocks connected by a low building of one storey;
at the back are modern additions.
b(11). Little Jenkins, farmhouse, ¾ m. W.N.W.
of the church, was built in the 15th or early in the
16th-century on a rectangular plan with a small
staircase-wing at the back; adjoining this wing is
an 18th-century addition. Inside the building is
an old oak door of moulded battens, and in the roof
an original king-post truss is visible.
b(12). Great Beldams, house, 1,500 yards N.W.
of the church, has two modern wings on the N.
On this elevation the upper storey of the original
a(13). Lewis's, farmhouse at Tilekiln Green,
over 1 m. N.E. of the church, was built on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the N.E. end.
b(14). Harps, farmhouse near Bedlar's Green,
1,400 yards N.E. of the church, was built in the
15th century. The original plan probably consisted of a central Hall with cross-wings at the N.
and S. ends, but the whole building has been
extensively altered; the N.W. and S. wings are
modern. Inside the building the roofs of the N.
cross-wing and of the former Hall each retain an
original truss with king-post having moulded
capital and base and four-way struts.
b(15). House, now tenements, at Bedlar's Green,
1 m. E.N.E. of the church, was built probably in
the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with the
wings extending towards the S. and E. Inside
the building an original wide-open fireplace has a
moulded oak bressumer.
b(16). Farmhouse, at Hallingbury Street, 1,500
yards E. of the church, was built on an L-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the W.
b(17). Lodge Farm, house, 1 m. S.E. of the
church, was built on a half H-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the N. At the E.
end of the S. front is a gable. Inside the building
is some 17th-century panelling said to have been
brought from a former house in the neighbourhood.
b(18). Farmhouse, at Woodside Green, 1 m. S.S.E.
of the church, was built on an L-shaped plan with
the wings projecting towards the W. and S.
b(19). Cobbs Farm, house now tenements, at
Woodside Green, 1,600 yards S.S.E. of the church,
was built on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing
at the S. end; at the N. end are modern additions.
On the W. elevation is an original window of three
lights with moulded oak mullions. The original
chimney-stack is T-shaped on plan.
b(20). Cottage (Plate p. 97), on W. side of the
road, 1,500 yards S.W. of the church.
b(21). Cottage, on E. side of the road, 200 yards
W. of (20).
b(22). George Inn, at cross-roads, 1¼ m. S.W.
of the church, has an 18th or 19th-century wing
on the W. side.
b(23). House, on W. side of road at Beadle
Common, was built probably in the 16th century
on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the N.E.
end; at this and at the S.W. end are modern
b(24). Barn, in the N.W. angle of Wallbury
Camp, was built probably in the 15th century.
It is of five bays divided by king-post trusses.
b(25). Moated Mound, probably site of mill,
in Hallingbury Park, 550 yards S.S.E. of the church.