34. GREAT PARNDON. (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xl. S.E. (b)xli. S.W. (c)1. N.W.)
Great Parndon is a parish and small village
3 m. S.W. of Harlow. The Church is of interest.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Mary The Virgin
stands N.W. of the village. The walls are of flint-rubble and some modern brick, all much plastered;
the dressings are of limestone and clunch; the
roofs are tiled. The Chancel, North Vestry,
Nave, and West Tower were built in the 15th
century; the North Porch was added probably in
the 18th century, and the North and South Transepts are modern.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—All details are of
the 15th century unless otherwise noted. The
Chancel (19½ ft. by 18 ft.) has an E. window of
four cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a
two-centred head and all covered with cement.
In the N. wall is a window of two cinque-foiled
lights with vertical tracery in a square head with a
moulded label; further E. is a doorway, opening
into the N. vestry, with hollow-chamfered jambs
and two-centred head. In the S. wall is a window
uniform with that in the N. wall. There is no
The North Vestry has in the E. and N. walls a
small trefoiled light in a two-centred head with a
moulded label. In the W. wall is a small quatre-foiled opening.
The modern North Transept has in the W. wall
the two-centred head, re-set, of a 15th-century
doorway of two hollow-chamfered orders.
The Nave (41 ft. by 18 ft.) has in both N. and S.
walls two windows uniform with those of the chancel
but slightly restored. In the N. wall, W. of the
windows, is the N. doorway with continuously
moulded jambs and two-centred head. Opposite
to it is the similar S. doorway, now blocked.
The West Tower (12 ft. by 10½ ft.), is of three
slightly diminishing stages with an embattled
parapet. The two-centred tower-arch is of three
chamfered orders, the outer two continuous,
the innermost interrupted by moulded capitals
and bases to the responds; the moulded label
has defaced stops; the W. window is of two
cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a
segmental head with a label; the stair-turret in
the splayed S.W. angle is now approached by an
inserted external doorway; the original internal
doorway, now blocked, has chamfered jambs and
two-centred head. The second stage has in the S.
and W. walls a loop. The bell-chamber has in
each wall a window of two trefoiled lights in a square
head with a label, all much weathered.
The Roof of the chancel and nave is continuous
and is mostly modern but incorporates some old
Fittings—Bells: four; 4th by Robert Oldfield,
1613. Brass: In chancel—of Rowland Rampston,
1598, figure in civil dress and inscription. Doors:
In doorway to N. vestry—(1) of oak battens with
strap-hinges, 15th-century. In nave—in S. doorway, (2) similar. In W. tower—in original
doorway to stair-turret, (3) similar. Font:
octagonal bowl, each face with quatre-foiled
panel enclosing floral boss, lower edge moulded
and enriched with flowers; octagonal stem,
each face with cusped panels in two stages divided
by an embattled transom, 15th-century. Glass:
In nave—in N.W. window, shield of twelve
quarterings wrongly re-set, originally for William
Cecil, 1st Lord Burghley and his wife, late 16th-century; head of weeping woman, possibly the
Virgin, an angel's head, part of a wing, tabernacle
work, 15th-century; and quarries inscribed with
the name John Celley and with the initials
I and A, portcullis and rose-sprig, 16th-century.
Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to
Mary (Turnor), widow of Thomas Sparke,
B.D., 1661, tablet in alabaster frame; (2) to
Christopher Sparke, son of above, 1713,
marble tablet with achievement of arms and
broken pediment containing urn. Piscina:
In chancel—sex-foiled drain, shelf, chamfered
jambs and shouldered square head, probably
15th-century. Seating: In nave—nine benches
of oak with some old popey-heads, 15th or
early 16th-century; short bench with turned legs,
17th-century. Sedilia: Sill of S. window of
chancel carried down to form seat.
b(2). Homestead Moat, at Passmores, ¾ m.
E. of the church.
b(3). Gateway and Barn at Great Canons, about
1 m. N. of the church. The Gateway is of late 17th-century date and has rusticated brick piers surmounted by cornices, pedestals and balls of stone.
Some garden walls are of the same date.
The Barn has brick walls and a tiled roof. It
was built in the 17th century and is of five bays.
Foundation mounds E. of the house are said
to mark the site of the Premonstratensian Abbey
before its removal to Beeleigh by Maldon.
Condition—Of gateway and barn, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Several
houses have original chimney-stacks, exposed
ceiling-beams and wide fireplaces.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
b(4). Hare Street Farm, house, about 1 m. N.E.
of the church, has a gabled cross-wing at the E.
end and an original chimney-stack with grouped
b(5). Tod's Brock Farm, house, about ½ m. E.
of the church, was built probably late in the 16th
century. The original central chimney-stack has
six octagonal shafts and the stack at the N. end
has two shafts, also octagonal.
b(6). Cottage, on the E. side of Press Lane, at
Linford End, 210 yards S. of (5), was built probably
in the 16th century and has a gabled cross-wing
at the E. end.
b(7). The Cock Inn, ¼ m. S.E. of the church,
is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the N. and E.
b(8). Cottage, N. of Kingsmoor House and about
1 m. S.S.E. of the church.
c(9). Cottage, on the N.E. side of the road, about
1½ m. S.S.E. of the church.
c(10). Richmonds, house, about 1½ m. S. of the