40. HAVERING ATTE BOWER. (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. lxvi. N.W.)
Havering atte Bower is a small parish adjoining
Romford Rural on the N.
(1). Parish Church of St. John the Evangelist was entirely re-built in 1878. The former
church formed part of the buildings of Havering
Palace. The modern church contains from the
old building the following:—
Fittings—Font: octagonal, tapering bowl of
Purbeck marble, each face with two round-headed
panels, formerly painted, late 12th-century. Floor-slabs: In N. aisle—(1) to Thomas Cheek, 1688,
Lieutenant of the Tower; (2) to Henry, son of
Thomas Cheek, 168–.
(2). Stocks and Whipping Post (Plate p. 258),
on the Green, S.E. of the church. The Stocks are
for two persons; the Whipping Post, at one end, has
lost its ironwork except the staple. The woodwork
is probably of late 17th or early 18th-century date.
(3). Terraces, at Pyrgo Park, ¾ m. N.E. of the
church. They are probably the remains of the
lay-out of the former gardens.