42. HIGH LAVER. (D.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. xli. S.E.)
High Laver is a small parish 4 m. N.N.W. of
(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands
near the S.E. end of the parish. It is built of
flint-rubble which is set in courses in the chancel
and the earlier part of the S. wall of the nave
and is intermixed with some Roman bricks and
tiles in the chancel and the N. wall of the nave;
the S.W. angle and upper part of the tower are of
brick; the dressings are mostly of clunch; the
roofs are tiled. The Nave and Chancel were built
probably at the end of the 12th century. c. 1340
the West Tower was added and the chancel-arch
widened. At some uncertain date, perhaps c. 1340,
the N. and S. walls of the nave have been partly
re-built or refaced. About the end of the 18th
century the S.W. stair-turret appears to have
given way and, with the upper part of the tower,
was re-built in brick. In the 19th century most
of the stonework was restored, the floor of the
chancel raised, and the North Vestry and South
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29 ft.
by 21 ft.) has quoins of Roman brick. In the
E. wall are three lancet windows, modern except
for the splays. In the N. wall are two lancet
windows similarly restored; further W. is a blocked
doorway, probably of the 13th century, with
chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the
S. wall are three windows; the first and third are
uniform with those in the N. wall; the second
is of two lights under a square head, all modern
except the moulded splays and rear-arch, which
are probably of the 15th century. Between the
second and third window is a modern doorway.
The chancel-arch is of c. 1340 and of two orders
with moulded responds and arch, which was
probably two-centred but has partly subsided;
the lower order has moulded bases.
The Nave (41 ft. by 21 ft.) has E. quoins of
Roman brick, and has been re-built or refaced on
the upper part of the N. and S. walls. In the N.
wall are two windows; the eastern is modern
except for the splays and four-centred rear-arch
which are probably of late 14th-century date;
the western is a small round-headed window,
probably of late 12th-century date; further W.
is the late 12th-century N. doorway, with chamfered impost, (W.), semi-circular head and square
jambs partly restored. In the S. wall are three
windows, all modern except for the splays which
are probably of late 14th-century date; between
the two westernmost is the S. doorway, probably
of the 13th century, with chamfered jambs and
two-centred head partly restored.
The West Tower (10 ft. by 9 ft.) is of three
stages with a moulded plinth and an embattled
brick parapet. The two lower stages, which are
mostly of flint, are now plastered. The tower-arch is two-centred and is of one moulded and one
double chamfered order on the E. side and of three
chamfered orders on the W. The W. window is of
two trefoiled and ogee-headed lights with an
octofoil in a two-centred head with internal and
external labels, all of the 14th century, partly
restored. Across the S.W. corner is a doorway,
now blocked, with a two-centred head. The
second stage had a window in each of the N.,
S. and W. walls; these windows are now blocked
and indistinct, but that on the N. has a label
and a two-centred head. The bell-chamber has
18th-century windows of brick.
The Roof of the chancel has wall-plates and two
tie-beams, all moulded and of the 15th century.
The roof of the nave has moulded wall-plates
probably of the 16th century, and two old rough
Fittings—Bells: one and a small Sanctus bell
inscribed "XRE AUDI NOS," probably 14th-century. Brass and Indent. Brass: In chancel—
partly covered by organ, of Myrabyll, wife of
Edward Sulyard; figures of man in armour, woman
in pedimental head-dress, close bodice and full
skirt, inscription below, indent of scroll above
woman, c. 1495; figures of four sons and a daughter
said to be under the organ. Indent: In nave—
small indent of inscription. Chest: In chancel—
cambered lid of oak or chestnut with narrow iron
strips and wide crossbands, sides of deal, probably
17th-century. Communion Table: with turned
legs and shaped brackets under plain top rail,
17th-century. Door: In S. doorway—of old
battens and fillets, with strap-hinges, probably
16th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with
moulded underside, each face with quatre-foiled
panel enclosing a blank shield, panelled and
traceried stem, mid 14th-century, base modern.
Glass: In nave—in N. lancet, fragments, some
with foliage pattern, 13th and 14th-century.
Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to
Damaris, widow of Ralph Cudworth, Master of
Christ's College, Cambridge, 1695, white marble
tablet; on S. wall, (2) to Revd. Samuel Lowe,
Rector of the Parish, 1709, and Ann (Andrew) his
wife, 1693, white marble tablet surmounted by a
damaged broken pediment containing a cartouche
with arms. Outside nave—at S.E. corner, (3)
to John Locke, philosopher, 1704, marble tablet
surmounted by achievement of arms and brick
table-tomb with stone slab. Piscina: In chancel
—with trefoiled head and roll cusp points, double
circular drain, 13th-century. Plate: includes
paten and cup of 1674 with engraved inscription
and achievement of arms.
Condition—Fairly good, except for cracks in
the chancel and the W. wall of the nave; much
(2). At High Laver Hall, N. of the church;
possibly had a supplementary arm surrounding
(3). At the site of Otes, 1 m. N.N.W. of the church.
The following monuments, except (4), are of the
17th century, timber-framed and plastered or
weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. (5), (6)
and (7) have original chimney-stacks and exposed
(4). Barn at High Laver Grange, 700 yards
N.N.E. of the church, was built probably in the
16th century on a cruciform plan with five bays
and two porches. Inside the building are shaped
wall-posts and queen-post trusses.
(5). Whites, cottage, ½ m. N.W. of the church.
(6). Herd's Farm, house, 1½ m. W. of the church,
has a modern extension at the E. end.
(7). John Barleycorn Inn, 300 yards W. of (6),
has a later addition at the back. At the W. end
the upper storey projects.