2. ALDHAM. (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxvi. N.E. (b)xxvii. N.W (c)xxvii. S.W.)
Aldham is a parish with a small village at
Fordstreet, 5½ m. W. of Colchester. The house (5)
is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of SS. Margaret and
Catherine stood ¾ m. W.S.W. of the modern
church. The foundations indicate a building 72 ft.
by 21 ft. The old church was pulled down and the
modern church erected on the present site in 1855.
It contains much reused material in Barnack and
limestone of the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries,
distributed as follows:—
Architectural Description—The Chancel has a
15th-century E. window, with moulded and shafted
splays with embattled capitals. In the N. wall are
two 15th-century windows, each of two cinquefoiled lights in a square head and mostly old.
Between them the arch over the doorway is hollowchamfered and two-centred; the jamb-shafts have
moulded capitals and bases, all of the 14th century;
the doorway is mostly modern. In the S. wall are
two windows similar to those in the N. wall, but
mostly modern. The doorway between them is
modern, except the moulded early 15th-century
The North Vestry has in the E. wall a much
restored 14th-century window of two pointed lights
in a two-centred head
The Nave has in the N. wall two windows, all
modern except part of the splays.
The South Aisle has an E. window, modern
except part of the splays; further N. is a 14th-century doorway to a turret stairway, with moulded
jambs and two-centred arch. The turret has two
lights, one quatrefoiled and one traceried, both
small and of the 14th century. In the S. wall are
three lancet windows, mostly modern externally,
but with 13th-century splays and rear-arches.
Further W. is the 13th-century S. doorway, with
roll-moulded jambs and two-centred arch, much
restored. In the W. wall are two lancets and a
round window, all of the 13th century internally.
The West Tower has in the S. wall a doorway
with 13th-century chamfered jambs of Barnack
stone. The W. window has some old jamb and
The South Porch (Plate, p. xxxvi) is of timber
on modern walls, and of 14th-century date. The
moulded two-centred outer archway has quatrefoiled and traceried spandrels; above it is a
moulded head-beam and foiled barge-boards;
flanking the arch are single lights with trefoiled ogee
heads and tracery. The side walls are of two bays
each of three similar lights and tracery. The roof
is of two bays, with curved and hollow-chamfered
braces to the tie-beams, ogee curved braces to the
collars and double hollow-chamfered plates.
The Roofs of the chancel, nave, and S. aisle are
each of trussed-rafter type, with moulded plates,
and are probably of the 15th century. The E. bay
of the chancel roof has more richly moulded and
double embattled plates. The roofs of the vestry
and tower have old rafters.
Fittings—Bells: Inaccessible, but said to be
two; 1st by Thomas Bullisdon, and inscribed
"Sancta Margareta Ora Pro Nobis," early 16th-century; 2nd by William Dawe, and inscribed
"Sum Rosa Pulsata Mundi Katerina Vocata,"
c. 1400. Chest:: In vestry—plain with iron-bound
angles, 17th-century. Doors: In chancel—in N.
doorway, of nail-studded battens with hollowchamfered fillets and frame, planted on, 14th-century. In S. doorway of chancel—of old battens
with modern fillets, 15th-century. In S. doorway
—of overlapping battens with strap-hinges and
pierced traceried scutcheon - plate, 15th-century.
In S. doorway of tower (Plate, p. 132)—of three
wide battens with good domed scutcheon from
which radiate four foliated iron branches, c. 1300.
Floor-slab: On site of old church—to Sir George
Sayer, 1650. Piscinae: In chancel—with modern
jambs and 14th-century cinquefoiled head, quatrefoil drain. In S. aisle—in S. wall, with moulded
jambs and two-centred head, square drain with
stone rosette, 14th-century.
b (2). Aldham Hall, house and moat, 1,100 yards
S. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled.
It was built probably in the 16th century, and has
17th-century additions; it is now of L-shaped plan,
with the wings extending towards the N.E. and
S.E. The N.E. wing has some exposed timberframing. The porch on the N.W. side has 17th-century billeted barge-boards and a pendant; the
doorway has a fluted lintel. Two windows have
moulded frames and mullions. One chimney-stack
has two original octagonal shafts. Inside the
building are exposed ceiling-beams and one room
is lined with late 16th-century panelling and has
an overmantel with two panels divided by fluted
pilasters. Another room has an overmantel made
up of 16th-century panelling. There are also two
doorways, one with a four- and one with a three-centred head.
The Moat is fragmentary.
Condition—Of house, good.
a(3). Checkley's Farm, house and moat, about
1 m. W. of the church. The House is of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled. It was built late in the 16th or early
in the 17th century, and has exposed ceiling-beams
The Moat is incomplete.
Condition—Of house, ruinous.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Some
of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and
Condition—Good, or fairly good.
b(4). Bourchier's Hall, 700 yards N.N.W. of the
church, has been rebuilt except for the kitchen
wing, which is of early 18th-century date and has
a modillioned eaves-cornice.
Fordstreet, W. side
b(5). Boy Scouts' Hall, house and tenement,
¾ m. N.N.E. of the church. The house was built
early in the 16th century, with a two-storeyed Hall
and cross-wings at the N. and S. ends; the tenement is an early 17th-century addition. The
upper storey projects, on curved brackets, at the
E. ends of the cross-wings and also on the E. and
W. sides of the addition. The gables of the original
wings have moulded barge-boards. Inside the
building the former Hall has original moulded
ceiling-beams and joists, and the wide fireplace has
a moulded lintel. The N. wing has an original
window, with a four-centred head and a doorway
with a two-centred head. The S. wing has two
original windows with diamond-shaped mullions.
The roof is original and of king-post type; the
tie-beams have curved braces.
b(6). House, now mission hall, 60 yards N. of (5),
was built probably late in the 16th century, and
has an original chimney-stack, with three octagonal
b(7). House, 50 yards S.E. of (6), was built
probably early in the 18th century, and has a
modillioned eaves-cornice on the W. front. The
doorway has a pediment above it, carried on consoles. Inside the building is an original fireplace
with a moulded architrave.
b(8). House and shop, 70 yards S. of (7), was
built probably in the 16th century.
b(9). House, S. of (8), was built probably early
in the 18th century and has a coved eaves-cornice
of plaster on the W. front.
b(10). House, 60 yards S. of (9), was built
probably in the 16th century, but was entirely
remodelled early in the 18th century. It has a
cross-wing at the N. end, and the main block has
a coved cornice of plaster on the W. side. The
porch has a pine-apple ornament in plaster and the
date 1706. Inside the building one room has early
18th-century panelling, and the staircase has slight
turned balusters of the same period.
b(11). Cottage, ½ m. S.W. of the church, was
built in the 17th century and has exposed timberframing.