9. Bradfield. (E.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. xx. S.W.)
Bradfield is a parish and village 7½ m. W. of
Harwich. The church and hall are the principal
(1) Parish Church of St. Lawrence stands
in the village. The walls are probably of rubble,
but are entirely covered with cement; the dressings
are of limestone and the roofs are tiled. The
Chancel and Nave were built about the middle
of the 13th century. About the middle of the
14th century the South Porch was added and the
West Tower was added early in the 16th century.
The church has been restored in modern times,
the west tower partly rebuilt, and the North
and South Transepts, Vestry and Organ Chamber
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (26 ft.
by 17½ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N.
wall is a 13th-century lancet window with a modern
rear-arch, further W. is a modern doorway and
arch. In the S. wall is a modern window and doorway; further W. is a blocked window, probably
of the 13th century. The two-centred chancelarch is of doubtful date and of two chamfered
orders; the outer continuous and the inner resting
on attached shafts with moulded capitals.
The Nave (45½ ft. by 18¼ ft.) has in the N.
wall two late 13th-century windows each of two
lancet lights and much restored. In the S. wall
is a window uniform with those in the N. wall;
further E. is the 14th-century N. doorway with
moulded jambs and two-centred arch, mostly
covered with cement.
The West Tower (about 14 ft. square), is of
three stages, the two lower of early 16th-century
date, much repaired and the top stage modern.
The two-centred tower-arch is of two chamfered
orders, the outer continuous and the inner resting
on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
The W. window is of two cinquefoiled lights in a
three-centred head with a moulded label; below
it is the W. doorway with double chamfered jambs,
two-centred arch and moulded label; it is now
blocked. The second stage has in the W. wall
a window of one cinquefoiled light.
The South Porch has a modern outer archway.
The side walls have each a mid 14th-century
window, that on the W. of two trefoiled lights
with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; that
on the E. is blocked.
Fittings—Bell: one, said to be inscribed "I am
koc of this floc wit gloria tibi Domine," late 14th-century. Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In
chancel—on S. wall, (1) of Joane (Harbottell),
wife of Thomas Rysbye, 1598, figure of woman in
elaborately embroidered stomacher, etc., and shield
of arms; (2) to John Harbotle, 1577, inscription
and shield of arms; (3) to Jakys Reynford, c. 1520,
inscription only; (4) to Elizabeth, daughter of
Edward Grimestone, 1604, inscription only.
Indents: In nave and by S. porch—two slabs,
with traces of indents. Chairs: In chancel—
two with carved or inlaid backs, turned and carved
legs, etc., mid 17th-century. Font (Plate, p. xxxiv):
octagonal tapering bowl, each face with two shallow
pointed panels, stem with plain round shafts at
each angle, late 12th or early 13th-century. Helm:
In chancel—on S. wall, combed funeral-helm, with
vizor, 16th-century, carved crest, later. Piscinae:
In chancel—with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, sexfoiled drain, probably 13th-century;
reset in N. wall, double, with moulded two-centred arches enriched with 'dog-tooth' ornament,
moulded label with mask-stops, central shaft
between bays with moulded capital and base,
13th-century. Plate: includes 17th-century cup,
with restored stem. Pulpit: semi-hexagonal, with
panelled sides, early 18th-century, with 16th and
17th-century carving and panels stuck on.
(2). Bradfield Hall, house and moat, nearly
1¼ m. S.S.W. of the church. The House is of two
storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the
roofs are tiled. The remaining portion of the
original house (Plate, p. 10) consists of a rectangular block of c. 1520, with a semi-octagonal
stair-turret at the S.W. angle. The S. front has
a crow-stepped gable, with cusped corbelling below
the deeply moulded copings; at the apex and on
each side are crocketed pinnacles set diagonally;
the wall face is diapered and there are two original
windows, both with four-centred heads and moulded
labels; the lower retains the intersecting tracery
and heads of three lights; but in the upper window
the mullions and heads have been cut away. The
stair-turret has small blocked windows with square
moulded labels; one of these windows is quatrefoiled. Inside the building are some 17th-century
doors and panelling. The newel of the staircase
is carried up to form a turned post; the rails at
the top have symmetrically turned balusters of
c. 1600. In the E. wall at the attic level is the
four-centred head of a large window, with a chamfered rear-arch springing from moulded corbels.
There is also an original doorway with a four-centred head.
The Moat surrounds the house.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
(3). House and shop, 70 yards N.W. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built late
in the 17th century and has exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, much altered.
(4). Cottage (Plate, p. 189), three tenements,
150 yards S.S.W. of the church, is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are
thatched. It was built early in the 17th century,
with a cross-wing at the S. end. The upper storey
projects at the E. end of the cross-wing. Inside
the building are exposed ceiling-beams.
Bentley, see Great Bentley
and Little Bentley.