10. BRADWELL (-juxta-Coggeshall). (A.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxv. S.E. (b)xxvi. S.W. (c)xxxiv. N.E.)
Bradwell is a small parish and village on the
S. bank of the Blackwater, 4½ m. N. of Witham.
The church and its fittings are noteworthy.
b(1). Parish Church of the Holy Trinity
(Plate, p. xxviii) stands near the N.E. corner of the
parish. The walls are probably of flint-rubble and
are covered with plaster; the dressings are of
limestone and clunch; the roofs are tiled. The
Nave was built early in the 12th century. The
Chancel was rebuilt and the South Porch added
c. 1340. In the 16th or early in the 17th century
the Bell-turret was built.
Amongst the fittings the 14th-century paintings
and incised slab, the 15th-century screen, and the
17th-century monument are noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22¾ ft.
by 21½ ft.) has an E. window of c. 1440, and of three
cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head. In the N. wall are two windows,
the eastern is of c. 1340 and of two trefoiled ogee
lights with tracery in a segmental-pointed head;
the jambs and tracery are moulded internally; the
western window is of c. 1460, and of two cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred
head with a moulded label and head-stops. In the
S. wall are two windows of c. 1340, both of two
cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a roughly
semi-circular head with a moulded label; the
western window has carved flowers in two cusps
of the tracery; between the windows is a 14th-century doorway, with double chamfered jambs
and a two-centred arch.
The Nave (33½ ft. by 21½ ft.) is undivided
structurally from the chancel. In the N. wall are
two windows; the eastern is of c. 1340 and of
two cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a
segmental head; the western window is of early
12th-century date, and of one small round-headed
light; between the windows is the early 12th-century doorway, now blocked, with a modern
window in the blocking; it has plain jambs and
a semi-circular arch. In the S. wall are two
windows similar to those in the N. wall, but the
western window is now blocked by a cupboard
and is not visible externally; between the windows
is the round-headed S. doorway, similar to the
N. doorway, but of brick and not blocked. In the
W. wall is a window of c. 1460, of two cinquefoiled
lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a
moulded label; above it in the gable is a small
round-headed window, of uncertain date.
The Bell-turret is of timber and probably of
late 16th or early 17th-century date; it rests on
large stop-chamfered posts and a cross-beam near
the W. end of the nave, and is covered externally
with modern weather-boarding and shingles.
The South Porch (Plate, p. 7) is of timber and
of c. 1340. The S. gable has foiled barge-boards,
and the E. and W. sides have each seven open
lights with trefoiled ogee and traceried heads; the
mullions have been replaced by turned balusters of
early 17th-century date on the E. side, and modern
except for the half balusters on the W. side.
The Roof of the chancel is of the trussed-rafter
type, plastered on the soffit, and with plain chamfered wall-plates. The 14th-century roof of the
nave is of three bays with two king-post trusses;
the tie-beam of the western truss is moulded and
of the 15th century; the king-posts have moulded
capitals and bases, and the eastern may be a later
copy. The 14th-century roof of the S. porch has
moulded wall-plates and two cambered tie-beams,
one supported by curved braces.
Fittings—Bells: three; all by Miles Graye;
1st, 1621; 2nd, 1609; 3rd, 1632, cracked. Brass
Indents: In chancel—(1) of figures and canopy,
two shields, group of children (?) and inscription-plate, part hidden by foot-pace of altar; (2) of
inscription-plate. Chests: In nave—'dug-out'
with iron bands and two locks, possibly 17th-century, lid apparently modern; in cupboard
under bell-turret, 'dug - out' with strap-hinges,
17th-century or earlier. Communion Table:
with plain legs and moulded rails, 17th-century,
top modern. Door: In S. doorway—of studded
battens on square framing, stock-lock of oak and
traceried scutcheon to modern handle, drop-handle
to latch, strap-hinges, late 15th or early 16th-century. Font and Cover (Plate, p. xxxiv): Bowl
of limestone, originally square with small cheveron
ornament round top, 12th-century, bowl cut
octagonal, early in the 16th century; stem of brick
with moulded top and base, and sunk quatrefoil
in each face, early 16th-century. Cover of oak,
pyramidal, with panelled sides and ball top,
17th-century, bracket for pulley on framing of
bell-turret above. Funeral Helm: In chancel—
on N. wall, with crest (dog's head razed), 17th-century. Glass: In chancel—in E. window, in
tracery, fragments, 15th-century; in N.E. window, in
fragments in tracery, with dog in roundel, 14th-century; in N.W. window, fragments of figures
and tabernacle work, etc., 15th-century; in S.W.
window, part of angel holding shield, a bend with
two scallops (one lost) thereon on a chief a leopard
(reversed), 15th-century; fragments of tabernacle
work, etc., 15th-century. In nave—in N.E. and
S.E. windows, fragments, 14th-century, mostly
in situ. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments:
In chancel—against E. wall, (1) of Anthony Maxey
, and Dorothy (Basset) , his wife, wall-monument (Plate, p. 97) of marble and alabaster,
erected by their son, Sir Henry Maxey, with two
round-headed recesses flanked and divided by
Corinthian columns, and containing kneeling figures
of two men in plate-armour and wives at prayerdesks, entablature with quartered shield of Maxey
and four smaller shields below; on N. wall, (2) to
Sir William Maxey, 1645, Helena (Grevill), his wife,
1653, and Grevill, 1648, and William, 1659, their
sons, wall-monument of black and white marble with
broken pediment and achievement of arms, above it
a funeral helm and crest, partly of late 16th-century
date. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Edward
Beancock, M.D., 1665, with shield of arms; (2) defaced and partly hidden by pew, probably 17th-century; (3) lower part of priest, incised figure in
mass vestments with incised marginal inscription in
Lombardic capitals, with the date 1349. Paintings:
In chancel—on E. wall, high up on N. side, remains
of figure of angel with lozengy background, top
border and foliated lower border; on E. splay
of N.E. window, a Trinity, the Dove obliterated;
on W. splay, full length Resurrection figure of
Christ, with cross-staff; on soffit of rear-arch, a
Majesty in a vesica, flanked by angels, one holding
cross and crown of thorns, 14th-century. In nave
—on soffit of rear-arch of N.E. window, circular
central panel with bird (? eagle) and scrolled
foliage-ornament; on N. wall, near W. end,
small head, probably of Infant Christ, part of
large figure subject; on E. splay of S.E. window,
the Incredulity of St. Thomas (hands only of
St. Thomas); on W. splay, figure, probably of
St. James the Great, with book, staff and scrip,
diapered background; on soffit of rear-arch,
circular central panel with Agnus Dei and flowing
foliage on each side, all paintings c. 1320. Panelling:
In chancel—loose, broken panel, c. 1600. In nave—
in pew on N.W., six moulded panels with lozenge
patterns and foliated top-rail, late 16th-century;
W. of parclose screen, plain battened panelling
with moulded top-rail, 15th-century; beneath
seats of two S. pews, some 17th-century panelling.
Piscina: In chancel—with carved and chamfered
jambs and cinquefoiled arch in a square head with
foliated spandrels and moulded label having base
of central pinnacle, moulded projecting basin
resting on remains of carved head, quatrefoil
drain with carved ornament in centre, 15th-century. Royal Arms: Over W. gallery, of
Charles II, painted and subsequently repainted.
Screens: Between chancel and nave (Plate, p. 34),
of four bays with moulded posts, rail and head,
head with mortices for former loft on the W. side,
post between N. bay and doorway with mortice
for former parclose, N. bay with traceried heads
of seven lights, mullions removed, second bay
forming doorway, with traces of former traceried
head; third bay with traceried heads of five
former lights, S. bay open probably as doorway
to former pulpit, plain close lower panels, except
two with traceried heads in third bay; above
beam, boarded framing, forming E. side of former
loft, and pierced with two trefoiled openings, on
E. face painted diapered ornament, pink on green,
15th-century. In nave—N. side, W. end of former
parclose, now forming division between pews,
two close lower panels only, with traceried heads
and chamfered posts, formerly having attached
buttresses, boarding pierced with a quatrefoil,
15th-century. Seating: In nave—on S. side,
five backs of seats with moulded rail and one benchend, late 15th-century; in cupboard under bellturret, two bench-ends (?) with shaped tops.
Tiles: In chancel—on sill of S.W. window, a
number, some with traces of pattern, 14th or
15th-century. Miscellanea: In chancel—on sill
of S.W. window, fragments of two small and nude
alabaster figures, probably 17th-century.
Condition—Fairly good, some window tracery
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings
have exposed ceiling-beams and original chimneystacks.
Condition—Good, or fairly good.
a(2). House, at Perry Green, on the W. side
of the road and about 1,100 yards W. of the
a(3). Cottage, three tenements, 400 yards S.
of (2). The upper storey projects on the E. side.
c(4). Gosling's Farm, house, about ½ m. S.S.W.
of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the S. and E.
a(5). Park Farm, house and barns, 1,100 yards
W.N.W. of the church.
a(6). Cottage (Plate, p. 188), on the W. side of
the road at Blackwater, about 1 m. N.W. of the
church, was built probably early in the 16th
century. The upper storey projects on the S.E.
side and the gable at the N.E. end had original
a(7). Cottage, adjoining (6) on the N., has an
original central chimney-stack with grouped
a(8). Cottage, two tenements, 70 yards E.N.E.
Braxted, see Great Braxted and