21. EAST DONYLAND. (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. xxxvii. N.W.)
East Donyland is a parish with a village at
Rowhedge on the right bank of the Colne, 3 m.
S.E. of Colchester.
(1). Parish Church of St. Laurence stood
700 yards S.W. of the modern church. It was
entirely destroyed about 1837. The modern church
contains from the old building the following:—
Fittings—Brasses: On wall—(1) of Nicholas
Marshall, 1621, figure of man in ruff, puffed
breeches and cloak, erected by Alice (Brooke), his
second wife; (2) of Mary, wife of Nicholas Marshall,
and after of William Graye, 1627, figure of woman
in ruff, full gown, etc. Monuments: On W. wall—
(1) of Elizabeth Marshall, 1613, marble monument
with seated figure of woman in niche flanked by
obelisks, entablature, figures of three children,
two dead, two shields and achievement of arms
In churchyard of old church—(2) to Susanna, wife
of Ralph Turpin, 1706, headstone.
(2). East Donyland Hall, house and moat,
750 yards S.S.W. of the modern church. The
House is of two storeys, with attics; the walls are
of brick and plastered timber-framing; the roofs
are tiled. It was built early in the 17th century,
but reconstructed c. 1700 and refronted c. 1800.
Inside the building the main staircase has turned
and twisted balusters and moulded rails of c. 1700.
The Moat surrounds the house.
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
(3). Mound, 270 yards N.N.W. of (2), is about
65 ft. in diameter and 8 ft. high.