27. FORDHAM. (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in (a)xviii. S.W. (b)xxvii. N.W.)
Fordham is a parish 5 m. N.W. of Colchester.
The church is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands in
the S. part of the parish. The walls are mainly of
flint and pebble-rubble with some Roman and later
brick, the dressings are of Barnack and soft limestone; the roofs are tiled or covered with lead.
The whole church was rebuilt in the 14th century,
beginning with the Chancel c. 1330 and followed
by the Nave and North and South Aisles, South
Porch, and the lower part of the West Tower,
c. 1340. The upper part of the tower was finished
late in the same century. In the 16th century the
S. aisle and porch and part of the N. aisle were
refaced or rebuilt. In the 18th century the W. side
of the tower was much damaged, perhaps by the
fall of a spire, and early in the 19th century the
greater part of the bell-chamber was rebuilt.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (27½ ft.
by 20 ft.) has a mid 14th-century E. window with
a two-centred head and a moulded label; the
tracery is modern. In the N. wall are two mid
14th-century windows, partly restored, and each
of two cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a
two-centred head. In the S. wall are three windows
of which the two eastern are uniform with those in
the N. wall; the westernmost window is a single
trefoiled light, probably of the same date; E. of
it is a mid 14th-century doorway with chamfered
jambs, two-centred arch and label. The mid 14th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of two
chamfered orders; the responds are semi-octagonal
and have moulded capitals and bases, partly cut
The Nave (39 ft. by 20 ft.) has N. and S. arcades
of three bays and of similar date and character to
the chancel-arch; the columns are octagonal and
the arches bear some evidence of having been
rebuilt. The clearstorey has on each side three
trefoiled windows of mid 14th-century date.
The North Aisle (11½ ft. wide) has an E. window,
all modern externally but with splays and four-centred rear-arch of the 15th century. In the
N. wall are two windows, the eastern of mid 14th-century date and of two trefoiled ogee lights with
a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; the western
window is uniform with that in the E. wall;
further W. is the N. doorway probably of the
13th century reset; it has moulded jambs and
two-centred arch. In the W. wall is a window all
modern externally but with splays and rear-arch
probably of the 14th century.
The South Aisle (11½ ft. wide) has an E. window
all modern except parts of the jambs, the splays
and rear-arch which are probably of the 15th
century; the recess is carried down below the sill.
In the S. wall are two windows uniform with the
15th-century windows in the N. aisle but with
some old stones in the jambs; further W. is the
15th-century S. doorway with stop-moulded jambs
and two-centred arch. In the W. wall is a window
uniform with the corresponding window in the
The West Tower (10 ft. square) is of three stages,
undivided externally and with a modern parapet.
The 14th-century tower-arch is two-centred and of
two moulded orders, the outer continuous and the
inner resting on attached semi-octagonal shafts
with moulded capitals and bases. The W. window
is modern except perhaps the splays and rear-arch.
In the second stage in the S. wall is a single trefoiled
light probably of the 14th century. The bell-chamber has in the N. wall a window formerly of
two cinquefoiled lights in a two-centred head, but
now without its mullion; it is probably of the
14th century. In the S. and W. walls are modern
The South Porch has a 15th-century outer archway with a moulded, two-centred arch and label;
the moulded jambs have attached shafts with
moulded capitals and bases. The side walls have
each a 14th-century window of two trefoiled ogee
lights with a cusped spandrel in a two-centred
head with a moulded label and head-stops.
The Roof of the chancel is ceiled but has 14th or
early 15th-century moulded plates and pole-plates.
The roof of the S. porch incorporates two late
14th-century tie-beams and moulded wall-plates.
Fittings—Bell: one, said to be by Miles Graye,
1637. Inscriptions and Scratchings: On chancel
—arch and arcades, rough mason's marks. On
jambs of S. doorway, 15th-century graffiti. Monuments: In churchyard—S. of chancel, (1) to
Elizabeth (Abbott), wife of James Stubbin, early
18th-century head-stone; (2) to Ann, wife of John
Stubbin, 1711, head-stone. Niches: In S. aisle—
flanking E. window, two, (1) square-headed
recess, early 16th-century; (2) smaller recess, with
four-centred head, probably early 16th-century;
in jambs of N E. window, two with round heads,
15th-century. Panelling: Incorporated in modern
pulpit, early 17th-century carved panels. Piscinae:
In chancel—with cinquefoiled head and moulded
label, shelf and sexfoiled drain, 14th-century.
In N. aisle—in E. wall, with two-centred head
moulded label and octofoiled drain, 14th-century.
In S. aisle—in S. wall, with trefoiled segmental-pointed head and octofoiled drain, 15th-century.
a(2). At Moat Hall, ½ m. N.N.E. of the church.
a(3). At Houd's Farm, about 1 m. N. of the
b(4). Fordham Hall, house and barn, S.W. of
the church. The House is of two storeys, timberframed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It
was built probably late in the 15th century with
cross-wings at the N. and S. ends, but the whole
building was much altered in the 17th century
and there are modern additions at the back. The
upper storey projects at the E. ends of the crosswings; on the N. wing there are 17th-century
moulded brackets. Inside the building the main
block has remains of the original roof and a
plaster fragment is preserved, painted with foliage
and the date 1586.
The Barn, E. of the house, is of the 17th century,
timber-framed and weather-boarded and of seven
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Several of the buildings
have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceilingbeams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(5). Range of two cottages, E. of the church.
Inside one cottage is a moulded ceiling-beam.
b(6). Cobb's Farm, house, 180 yards E. of (5).
b(7). Barnard's Farm, house, ¾ m. S.W. of the
church, was built probably in the 15th century
and has a cross-wing at the N. end. The upper
storey projects at the E. end of the cross-wing,
which has remains of the original of roof-construction.
b(8). Shoulder of Mutton Inn, 200 yards S.S.E.
of (7), is of two storeys with attics. It was built in
the 16th century with cross-wings at the N. and
S. ends. The roof of the main block was raised in
the 18th century and there are modern additions
on the E. side. The main block has a modillioned
a(9). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, ½ m.
N. of the church.
a(10). Archendine's Farm, house, ¼ m. W.N.W.
a(11). Cottage, on W. side of road, ¼ m. N. of (2).