29. FRINTON. (G.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. xlviii. N.W.)
Frinton is a small parish and town by the sea,
5 m. N.E. of Clacton.
Parish Church of St. Mary stands about
160 yards from the cliffs. The walls are of septaria
and flint-rubble with dressings of limestone; the
roofs are tiled. The Nave was built probably in
tle 14th century. The South Porch was added in
the 16th century. The church fell into ruin in the
17th or 18th century. The Chancel was added in
1879 and the church restored; there is a modern
extension to the nave.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Nave (25 ft. by
18½ ft.) has been partly refaced. In the N. wall are
two modern windows and between them is the
14th-century N. doorway with chamfered jambs
and a modern head. In the S. wall are two modern
windows and between them the 14th-century S.
doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred
arch with a moulded label.
The South Porch is of c. 1600 and of brick. The
outer archway has a four-centred head. The side
walls have each a window of two restored four-centred lights in a four-centred head.
Fittings—Glass (Plate, p. 192): In chancel—
in N. window, two 14th-century shields, partly
restored—(a) checky or and azure for Warenne;
(b) gules three cheverons ermine for Elderbeke.
Stoup: In nave—in S. wall, with cinquefoiled
head, 15th-century, no basin.
Condition—Good, much restored.