36. GREAT HENNY. (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xii. N.E. (b)xii. S.E.)
Great Henny is a small parish on the Suffolk
border 6 m. N.E. of Halstead. The church is
b(1). Parish Church of St. Mary stands near
the middle of the parish. The walls are of flint-rubble with limestone dressings. The roofs are of
tiles; the spire is covered with shingles. The
two lower stages of the West Tower are perhaps
of late 11th or early 12th-century date. The rest
of the church consisting of Chancel, Nave and the
upper part of the W. tower were apparently rebuilt
about the middle of the 14th century. Early in
the 16th century the South Porch was added.
The church was restored in the 19th century
when the E. wall was rebuilt and the North
Vestry and Transept added.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (34¼ ft.
by 19½ ft.) has no ancient features, except the
14th-century splays and moulded rear-arch of the
S.W. window and a 'low-side' loop further W.
and probably of the same date.
The Nave (50 ft. by 20½ ft.) has in the N. wall
two 14th-century windows, much restored and each
of two pointed lights with a spandrel in a two-centred head with a moulded label; further W.
is a 14th-century doorway with jambs and two-centred arch of two chamfered orders and now
blocked. In the S. wall are three windows, the
eastern and westernmost are uniform with those
in the N. wall; the middle window is of early
16th-century brick, partly restored, and of two
four-centred lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head. E. of the windows are the late
15th-century upper and lower doorways of the
former rood-loft staircase; the lower is of brick
with a four-centred head; the upper is similar but
plastered and is now blocked. W. of the windows
is the S. doorway uniform with the N. doorway but
The West Tower (9½ ft. square) is of three stages,
undivided externally, and with a wooden cornice
at the base of the spire. The tower-arch is modern.
In the W. wall is a modern window. The second
stage has in each of the N., S. and W. walls two
internal recesses, with rough round heads and without dressings; they are of late 11th or early 12th-century date. The bell-chamber has in each wall
a 14th-century window of one trefoiled light with a
moulded label; below the window in the E. wall
are the weatherings of a former gabled roof of the
The South Porch is of early 16th-century date
and is of brick; it has a plain outer archway
with a four-centred head. The side walls have
each a single-light window with a four-centred head.
The Roof of the nave is of the 15th century and of
four bays with moulded main timbers and curved
braces springing from corbels carved with figures
holding musical instruments; two of the trusses
have queen-posts and curved braces to the collars.
The early 16th-century roof of the S. porch has
moulded and embattled wall-plates, a moulded
and cambered tie-beam and a moulded ridge.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by Robert Burford,
inscribed "Sancta Katrina Ora Por Nobis," early
15th-century; 2nd and 3rd by Miles Graye, 1655
and 1652 respectively. Brasses and Indent.
Brasses: In chancel—on S. wall, (1) of William
Fyscher and Anne, his wife, c. 1530, with figures
of man and wife in civil dress, six sons and nine
daughters. In nave—on S. wall, (2) to George
Golding, 1617, inscription only. Indent: In tower
—of brass (1). Chair: In vestry—with carved
back, with enriched arched panel, turned legs,
and shaped arms, early 17th-century. Chest:
In tower—front with fluted pilasters and enriched
arcaded panels enclosing inlaid ornament, moulded
base and drop handles, 16th-century, partly
restored, probably Italian. Door: In N. doorway
—of battens with moulded fillets, probably 15th-century. Floor-slab: In nave—to Thomas Sewell,
1707, with shield of arms. Niche: In gable of
porch—of brick with segmental-pointed head, early
16th-century. Piscinae: In chancel—double with
shafted jambs and column having moulded capitals
and bases, trefoiled heads, one sexfoiled and one
octofoiled drain, early 14th-century, column
modern. In nave—in S. wall, with moulded
jambs and trefoiled head, sexfoiled drain, 14th
century. Recess: In S. porch—in S. wall, squareheaded recess, date uncertain. Sedilia: In chancel
—in recess with segmental-pointed arch, three
stepped seats, probably 14th-century. Table:
In vestry—with turned legs, late 17th-century.
Scratchings: On jamb of S. doorway, crosses, etc.
Condition—Good, much restored.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings have
original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(2). Cottage, 1,000 yards W. of the church.
a(3). Sheepcote Farm, house, ¾ m. N.N.E. of the
a(4). Cottage (Plate, p. 189), at N. end of Henny
Street, and nearly 1 m. N.E. of the church.
a(5). Street Farm, house, 350 yards S. of (4), has
cross-wings at the N. and S. ends, with projecting
upper storeys in front.
b(6). Cottage, 1 m. E. of the church, has two
gabled dormers in the roof, one with the date 1677.
b(7). Snell's Farm, house, 120 yards S. of (6),
was built probably in the 16th-century and has
cross-wings at the N. and S. ends.
b(8). Cottage, opposite (7).