40. GREAT TEY. (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxvi. N.E. (b)xxvi. S.E.)
Great Tey is a parish and village 3½ m. N.W.
of Great Coggeshall. The church and Abraham's
Farm are the principal monuments.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Barnabas (Plate,
p. 130) stands in the village. The walls are of
flint-rubble mixed with Roman bricks and some
freestone; the dressings are of limestone and the
roofs are covered with tiles and lead. The Central
Tower with the remains of the S. arcade of the
Nave were built early in the 12th century. Early
in the 14th century the Chancel was rebuilt and
later in the same century the North and South
Transepts were built. In the 15th century the
S. arch of the tower was inserted. The greater
part of the nave and both the side aisles were
pulled down in 1829 and the W. wall built; the
North and South Porches on the site of part of
the former aisles are modern and the church was
restored in the 20th century.
Great Tey. The Parish Church of St Barnabas.
The central tower is a remarkable example of
Architectural Description—The Chancel (40 ft.
by 19½ ft.) has an E. gable with kneelers carved
with grotesque heads and ball-flowers; in the
apex is a 14th-century cusped panel with a modern
inscription; the early 14th-century E. window
is of five lights, one cinquefoiled and the rest
trefoiled and with tracery in a two-centred head;
the rear-arch and both labels are moulded and have
grotesque and head-stops. In the N. wall are three
early 14th-century windows each of two trefoiled
lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a
moulded label and head-stops. In the S. wall are
three windows similar to those in the N. wall;
one stop has a bishop's head; below the middle
window is an early 14th-century doorway (Plate,
p. 142) with moulded jambs, two-centred arch and
label carved with square and ball-flowers.
The Central Tower (18 ft. by 17½ ft.) is of four
stages divided externally by projecting courses of
Roman brick and is entirely of c. 1100 except the
N. and S. arches and the embattled parapet. The
circular N.W. stair-turret rises above the parapet,
but the lower part is now blocked. The E. and
W. arches are of c. 1100 and are each semi-circular
and of two plain orders on the W. face with chamfered imposts. The late 14th-century N. arch is
two-centred and of two moulded orders, the outer
continuous and the inner resting on semi-octagonal
shafts with moulded and carved capitals. The late
14th-century S. arch is of distorted, two-centred
form and of three chamfered orders, the two outer
continuous and the inner resting on semi-octagonal
shafts with moulded capitals. Above the adjoining
roofs in both the N. and S. walls are two small
blocked openings with round heads; between them
in the S. wall is a modern opening. The second
stage has in the E. wall externally two round-headed recesses or panels of Roman brick. The
N. and S. walls have each two groups each of three
similar recesses and forming a wall-arcade. The
third stage has in each wall two round-headed
windows of two plain orders and built partly of
stone and partly of Roman brick. The bell-chamber
has in each wall three windows; the middle one is
of two round-headed lights with a central column,
having a voluted or cushion capital with a Roman
brick abacus; the whole is enclosed in a round-headed outer order forming a tympanum; the
other two windows are plain round-headed openings
of two square orders.
The North Transept (19½ ft. by 10½ ft.) has in
the E. wall a modern doorway. In the N. wall is
a late 14th-century window of three trefoiled lights
with tracery in a segmental-pointed head and
The South Transept (19½ ft. by 9 ft.) has a 15th-century E. window of three cinquefoiled lights with
vertical tracery in a segmental-pointed head; the
splays are shafted and the rear-arch moulded. In
the S. wall is a mid 14th-century window of two
trefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head.
In the W. wall is a reset arch perhaps of the
16th century; it is three-centred and of three
chamfered orders the inner resting on attached
shafts with crudely moulded capitals.
The Nave has no ancient features except the
early 12th-century capitals of the E. respond
and first column of the S. arcade, buried in the
S. wall; the capitals have voluted angles, remains
of carving and square chamfered abaci; the
columns were apparently cylindrical; between
them is set a two-centred 15th-century arch, visible
on the S. side and of two moulded orders, the
inner resting on attached shafts with moulded
capitals; the arch is now blocked and contains a
The Roof of the chancel has 14th-century
moulded wall-plates. Part of the 15th-century
roof of the N. transept is visible in the modern
staircase to the tower. The floor of the bell-chamber is supported on 15th-century curved
transverse braces, with a carved boss at the
intersection; this may at one time have been open
to the church.
Fittings—Altar: In chancel—in recess of piscina, Purbeck marble slab with three incised
consecration crosses, slab originally about 2 ft.
long and possibly for insertion in larger slab.
Bells: eight, 1st and 2nd by John Darbie, 1682;
3rd by the same founder, 1671; 7th and 8th by
Miles Graye, 1626 and 1629. Chairs: In chancel
—two with cane backs, one with turned and
twisted legs and posts, the other with curved
arms and carved legs, late 17th-century. Chests:
In nave—of iron and iron-bound, painted with
foliage and figures of a man and woman, mid 17th-century and probably foreign. In N. porch—iron-bound and with convex lid, probably 16th-century.
Coffin-lids: Outside S. porch and nave—three,
one plain, one with traces of cross, and one coped
and with a cross in relief, 13th-century. Communion Table: with plain turned legs, early 17th-century. Font: octagonal bowl, with quatrefoiled and octofoiled panels, flowers and defaced
heads carved on underside, traceried panels on
stem, early 15th-century. Piscinae: In chancel—
with moulded jambs and trefoiled ogee head with
traceried spandrels, early 14th-century. In S.
transept—with trefoiled head, shelf and octofoiled
drain, 14th-century. Plate: includes cup and
cover-paten of 1561 with bands of incised ornament. Royal Arms: In S. porch—of Charles II,
painted on canvas. Seating: Incorporated in
reading-desk, four bench-ends with traceried panels
and popeys carved with a crowned head and a
man playing the bagpipes, 15th-century. Sedilia:
In chancel—three bays with cinquefoiled heads,
shafted jambs and two free columns, early 14th-century, almost completely restored. Miscellanea:
Built into the walls of an outhouse at the Vicarage,
several 12th-century carved capitals from the nave
of the church; another similar capital is in the
garden of the Vicarage.
a(2). At the Vicarage, 100 yards S.E. of the
a(3). At Florie's Farm, 1¼ m. W.N.W. of the
b(4). At Eastgore, nearly 1½ m. S.S.W. of the
b(5). Trumpingtons, house, barn and moat,
nearly 1¼ m. S.W. of the church. The House is
of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the
roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century
on an L-shaped plan. Inside the building are
The Barn, N. of the house, is of the 17th century,
timber-framed and weather-boarded. It is of eight
bays with an aisle and two porches.
The Moat is fragmentary.
Condition—Of house, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Several
of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
a(6). House, formerly Inn, 40 yards N.W. of the
church, has been much altered.
a(7). Cottage, 110 yards W. of (6), was built in
the 16th century. Inside the building is some late
a(8). House and smithy, 100 yards N.W. of the
church, was built probably in the 15th century.
Inside the building are two of the original doorways
in the former 'screens' and an original king-post
a(9). House, two tenements, on W. side of the
a(10). Cottage, 50 yards S. of the church, had a
cross-wing at the S. end. A gabled dormer had
the date 1642 in plaster. This cottage was
demolished in 1922.
a(11). House, two tenements, S.E. of (10) The
upper storey projects at the N. end.
b(12). Teybrook Farm, house and barn, about
½ m. S. of the church. The House has an addition
of c. 1700 at the W. end. The upper storey projects on the S. side. Attached to the chimney-stack on the N. side is a small round stair-turret
of brick, from which the stairs have been removed.
The front door is original and has moulded rails
forming a diamond pattern; the back doorway
has a four-centred head and a door of overlapping
battens. Inside the building are some original
doors and panelling.
The Barn, S. of the house, is of eight bays.
b(13). Salmon's Farm, house, 1½ m. S.S.W. of the
b(14). Barn, at Elm Farm, 650 yards S.E. of (13),
is of four bays with an aisle.
b(15). Cottage, on N. side of road at Broad Green,
½ m. W. of (14).
b(16). Cottage, two tenements, 100 yards W.
b(17). Broadgreen Farm, house, now two tenements, 50 yards S. of (16).
b(18). Cottage, two tenements, 70 yards W.
b(19). Cottage, at Cramer's Green, about 1½ m.
S.W. of the church.
b(20). Gull's Farm, house, 900 yards N. of (19),
has an original chimney-stack of one diagonal shaft.
a(21). Cottage, 750 yards E.N.E. of (20).
a(22). Baldwins Farm, house, nearly 1½ m. W.
of the church.
a(23). Abraham's Farm, house and barn, ½ m.
E. of (22). The House was built in the 15th century with cross-wings at the E. and W. ends.
The Hall block was divided into two storeys
probably early in the 17th century. Inside the
building are two original doorways each with
double chamfered jambs and a four-centred arch
in a square head. There is also a panelled door
of c. 1600.
The Barn, E. of the house, is of five bays with
a(24). Windells, house, nearly 1 m. N.W. of the
church, has an original central chimney-stack,
cross-shaped on plan.
a(25). Cottage, two tenements, ½ m. N. by W.
a(26). Lambert's Farm, house and outbuilding,
250 yards S. of (25). The House is of late 16th
or early 17th-century date. The Outbuilding, W. of
the house, has lower walls of brick and of the
same date; the upper part has been rebuilt.
a(27). Cottage, two tenements, 500 yards S.E. of
(26), has on the S. side a plaster wreath with the
date and initials RLR 1700.
a(28). House, 320 yards S.E. of (27), has an
original moulded ceiling-beam.
a(29). House, 200 yards S.E. of (28), was built
probably late in the 16th century. The N.W. gable
has original barge-boards with much weathered
carving. The original chimney-stack on the N.
side has tabled offsets. Inside the building are
original moulded ceiling-beams.
a(30). Cottage (Plate, p. 177), 600 yards E. of (29),
was built late in the 16th century and has an
original chimney-stack with tabled offsets and a
a(31). Collopsbarn, barn, 550 yards W.N.W. of
the church, is of five bays with a porch.