5. BARLING. (F.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxx. S.E. (b)lxxi. S.W. (c)lxxviii. N.E.
Barling is a small parish about 4 m. N.E. of
Southend-on-Sea. The church is the principal
d(1). Parish Church of All Saints, stands
near the middle of the parish. The walls are of
ragstone-rubble with some flint in the nave; the
dressings are of various limestones, the roofs are
tiled and the spire boarded. The S. wall of the
Nave is possibly of the 12th century as indicated
by its thickness and the rear-arch of the S. doorway.
The Chancel was subsequently lengthened and
probably early in the 15th century a N. vestry was
added; the base of the walls are probably of this
date; the West Tower, also, was added early
in the 15th century. The Chancel was re-built
except the N. wall and the North Aisle with its
arcade added c. 1500; a S. porch was perhaps
added at the same date. The upper part of the
South Porch is of late 16th or 17th-century date.
The Vestry was re-built early in the 19th century
and the church was restored in 1863–4.
Amongst the fittings the carved alabaster
'tables' from a former reredos are noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (30 ft.
by 16½ ft.) has an E. window all modern except
the 15th-century splays. In the N. wall is a 15th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head; further W. is an arch for which
see Nave arcade. In the S. wall are two windows
and a doorway all modern except the splays of
both and the rear-arch of the western window.
The side walls have a moulded string-course, at
the eaves-level, and carried across the E. wall
as a string to the former low-pitched gable. There
is no chancel-arch.
The North Vestry has the base of the walls of
The Nave (35¾ ft. by 17¾ ft.) has a N. arcade
of c. 1500 and of four bays with two-centred arches
of two moulded orders; the octagonal columns
have concave faces and moulded capitals and
bases; the E. arch is higher than the rest and
springs, on the E., from a moulded corbel-capital
with concave faces and a boss of foliage at the
bottom; the W. respond has an attached half-column. In the S. wall are two windows, the
eastern modern and the western of the 14th century
and of two cinque-foiled lights with a cusped
spandrel in a two-centred head; between the
windows is the S. doorway all modern except
the plastered semi-circular rear-arch which may
be of the 12th century.
The North Aisle and Chapel (12 ft. wide) is
entirely of c. 1500 and has in the E. wall a window
of three cinque-foiled lights in a segmental-pointed
head. In the N. wall are three windows each of
two cinque-foiled lights in a segmental-pointed
head with a moulded label; between the two
eastern windows is the rood-loft staircase, the
lower doorway having a four-centred and the
upper a rough triangular head; between the
two western windows is the N. doorway, now
blocked, with moulded jambs, two-centred arch
and label with re-used head-stops. In the W. wall
is a window uniform with that in the E. wall,
but with a moulded label.
The West Tower (10 ft. by 9½ ft.) (Plate, p. 12)
is of early 15th-century date and of three stages
with an embattled parapet and on the E. face the
marks of the former steep-pitched roof of the
nave. The two-centred tower-arch is of two
hollow-chamfered orders, the inner continuous and
the outer dying on to the square responds. The
W. doorway has moulded jambs, two-centred arch
and label; the W. window is of two cinque-foiled
lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head
with a moulded label. The N., S. and W. walls of
the second stage have each a single pointed light.
The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of
two trefoiled lights in a square head with a defaced
label. Between the first and second stages on
the W. face is a band of flint and stone chequerwork continued round the side walls as a band
of flint. On the E. wall are traces of the former
high-pitched roof of the nave.
The South Porch is probably of late 16th-century
date and is timber-framed and stands on stonerubble walls of earlier date. It has a square-headed outer entrance with a moulded frame
and two cambered tie-beams with curved braces.
The Roof of the chancel has two moulded tiebeams of c. 1500 and an old tie-beam at the
W. end. The gabled roof of the N. aisle has old
moulded tie-beams re-used, the four westernmost tie-beams being moulded and of c. 1500.
Fittings—Bells: two; 1st by John Dier, late
16th-century; 2nd by John Hodson, 1666.
Brass Indent: Outside W. doorway— of inscription-plate and probably figure. Chest: In tower
—front only, with four panels of conventional foliage, late 16th-century. Coffin-lid: In
N. aisle—with incised cusped cross and stepped
calvary, late 13th or early 14th-century. Door:
In N. doorway—of ridged battens with fillets over
joints, c. 1500. Font: octagonal, four sides
panelled with blank shields in squares, three with
quatrefoils in circles and one blank, moulded
under-side and base, buttressed stem, c. 1500.
Glass: In N. aisle—loose against E. window,
roundel with interlacing pattern and roses, 15th-century. Locker: In chancel—in N. wall, rectangular with chamfered edges, date uncertain.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In
churchyard—S.E. side, (1) to George Asser, 1674,
and Susanna, his wife, 1658, table-tomb of stone,
with carved sides and moulded slab, hour-glass
and skull at ends; S.W. of tower; (2) to Susanna,
wife of William Cripps, 1714, also to William Cripps,
1752, stone table-tomb. Floor-slabs: In chancel—
(1) to George Asser, 1683, and —, his wife,
1686, late the wife of Thomas Wright; (2) to
Richard Bateman, 1668, with achievement-of-arms. Niches: On W. face of tower—three, two
lower with trefoiled and upper with cinque-foiled
head, 15th-century. Piscina: In chancel—with
trefoiled head and round drain, probably 14th-century re-set. Plate: includes cup of 1562 with
two engraved bands, paten of 1566 or 1568 and
two pewter plates. Pulpit: hexagonal, with
bolection-moulded panelled sides, cornice and
lower rail, shaped and moulded standard against
wall with carved consoles, sounding-board with
panelled soffit and five carved rosettes as pendants,
late 17th-century. Reredos: In vestry—from
former reredos, two alabaster carvings (Plato,
p. 25), both headless, probably of St. Dominic, in
monastic habit, and a seated figure, with remains
of colour, early 15th-century. Sedile: In chancel—
sill of S.E. window carried down to form seat.
c(2). Homestead Moat, at Mucking Hall, about
1 m. W. of the church.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century, and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. Many of the buildings
have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good.
d(3). House, two tenements, 100 yards S.W.
of the church, has on the W. front remains of
ornamental pargeting including a panel with the
date 167(8) and a circle surrounded by hearts.
The chimney-stack at the S. end has two restored
d(4). House, 500 yards S.S.W. of the church,
has modern additions at the back and side.
d(5). House, 600 yards W. of the church, is
modern but incorporates a small portion of a
15th-century building. The original roof is of
the central-purlin type with king-posts, struts and
cambered tie-beams in the end walls.
b(6). Roper's Farm, house, about 1,100 yards
N.W. of the church, has a modern addition at the
back. There are curved brackets to an exposed
ceiling-beam on the first floor.
a(7). Trumpions, house, 300 yards S.W. of (6),
was built possibly in the 15th century, with a
central Hall and E. and W. cross-wings. The
Hall roof has been raised and a first floor inserted.
In the E. wall is a blocked two-light window with
a(8). Cottage, 100 yards N.W. of Trumpions, has
modern additions at the E. and W. ends.
c(9). Jail Farm, house and walling, about
¾ m. W.S.W. of the church. The House incorporates a portion of a 15th-century house which
originally extended further E. The W. end was
altered in the 17th century. The centre part of the
building was originally the W. end of the hall
and open to the roof but has had a first floor
inserted; the E. end is modern. Inside the
building is an original roof-truss; the king-post
has a plain capital and base and four-way strut.
N. of the house is a length of about 15 ft. of
rubble Walling said to have been part of a jail
of the Bishops of London.