15. CHILDERDITCH. (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. lxvii. S.E.)
Childerditch is a parish 5 m. S.W. of Billericay.
(1). Parish Church of All Saints and St.
Faith was re-built in 1869 and contains from the
old church the following:—
Fittings—Font: octagonal bowl with quatre-foiled panels enclosing carved rose, leopards' heads,
pomegranate, rose and pomegranate dimidiated,
fleur-de-lis and foliage; round upper edge blackletter inscription, "This is the cost of Jhon
Throsscher and Ceceli his wiffe," moulded base,
(2). Homestead Moat, at Tillingham Hall,
nearly 1½ m. S.S.E. of the church.
(3). Cottage, on E. wide of road, nearly 800
yards N.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled.
It was built in the 17th century and has an original
chimney-stack of cruciform plan.
(4). House, on W. side of road, 250 yards
N.N.W. of (3), is of two storeys and of timber-framing, partly plastered and partly weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was built
probably in the 16th century and is of L-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the S. and
W. The upper storey projects at the N. end of
the E. front.