21. DENGIE. (G.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. lxiii. N.E.)
Dengie is a parish 5 m. N.E. of Burnham.
(1). Parish Church of St. James stands on the
W. side of the parish. The walls are of septaria,
flint and pebble-rubble with yellow 14th-century
and red Roman brick; the dressings are of limestone and the roofs are tiled. The Chancel and Nave
were apparently re-built early in the 14th century
but the walls of the nave may be substantially of
earlier date. The church has been restored in
modern times when the bell-turret was re-built
and the North Vestry and South Porch added.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (26¼ ft.
by 16¼ ft.) has an E. window, all modern except
the 14th-century splays and re-set rear-arch. In
the N. wall is a large blocked window with a smaller
modern window, with re-used 14th-century material,
set in the blocking; further W. is a modern
archway. In the S. wall are two windows, the
eastern is uniform with that in the N. wall, the
western window is modern except for the splays
and rear-arch which are probably of the 14th
century; it is set low in the wall; between them is
a modern doorway incorporating some old stones
in the jambs and rear-arch. There is no chancel-arch.
The Nave (45 ft. by 18½ ft.) has in the N. wall
two 14th-century windows partly restored and
each of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label; between them
is the much restored N. doorway of the same date
and now blocked; it has moulded jambs, two-centred arch and a modern label. In the S. wall
are two much restored windows similar to those in
the N. wall; the S. doorway is modern. In the
W. wall is a 14th-century window, much restored and
of three trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in an ogee
head with a moulded label and head-stops; further
N. is a small blocked 14th-century doorway with
hollow-chamfered jambs and a two-centred head.
Fittings—Bells: two; 2nd by Thomas Bullisdon,
c. 1500, inscribed "Sancta Maria Ora Pro Nobis"
and "Sur Thomas Morys Vekery." Brass: In
nave—figure of woman, two groups of children,
indent of inscription-plate, c. 1520. Coffin-lid:
In churchyard—with hollow-chamfered edge and
traces of Lombardic inscription. Plate: includes
cup of 1565 with two bands of engraved ornament.
Stoup: E. of S. doorway, with plain pointed head
and broken bowl, date uncertain.
(2). Dengie Hall, W. of the church, was re-built
in the 18th century except for part of a 17th-century building at the back. It is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled.
(3). Keelings, house, 600 yards E. of the church
is of two storeys, timber-framed, with modern brick;
the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 17th
century and has a modern block on the S. side.
There are two original chimney-stacks with
diagonal shafts. Inside the building the ceiling-beams and joists are exposed.