30. GRAYS THURROCK. (B.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. lxxxiii. S.E.)
Grays Thurrock or Grays is a town on the
N. bank of the Thames, 2 m. N.W. of Tilbury.
(1). Parish Church of SS. Peter and Paul
stands in the town. The walls are of ragstone and
flint-rubble, with dressings of limestone; the roofs
are tiled. The church, consisting of the Chancel
and Nave, perhaps with provision for a central
tower, was built probably in the first years of the
13th century or earlier; the cross-arches of the
chancel although apparently modern may be
copies or restorations of the original arches of that
date. The Tower N. of the crossing was built
c. 1230 and the South Chapel opposite was added
c. 1280–90. The whole structure was largely re-built
in 1846 when the nave was considerably lengthened
westward, the North Aisle, South Porch and
Vestry added, the upper part of the tower re-built,
and most of the dressings, especially of the chancel,
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23 ft.
by 15¾ ft.) has been largely re-built and retains no
ancient architectural features.
The Crossing (15½ ft. by 19 ft.) has E. and W.
arches of late 12th or early 13th-century design but
apparently entirely of modern stonework. The
N. and S. arches are described below.
The North Tower (15¼ ft. square) is of three
stages; the top stage is modern. The early
13th-century archway from the crossing is two-centred and of two chamfered orders; the restored
responds are chamfered and have moulded imposts.
The E. and N. walls of the ground-stage have wall-arches of similar design and date. In the E. wall
are three original graduated lancets and in the
N. wall a similar lancet, all restored externally. In
the W. wall is a modern archway. The second stage
has both in the E. and N. walls an original
lancet-window, modern externally, and in the W.
wall is a similar window, now blocked. In the
S.W. angle are two doorways, both probably
original and now blocked; one has a later oak
lintel and the other has the head cut away.
The South Chapel or Transept (18¼; ft. by 9¼ ft.)
has in the N. wall a late 13th-century archway
from the crossing; it is two-centred and of two
chamfered orders; the responds, partly restored,
have original moulded capitals, of which the abaci
have been cut away, and moulded bases. In the
S. wall is a modern window, and in the W. wall a
partly restored 13th-century lancet.
The Nave is modern except the E. half of the
S. wall, in which is the S. doorway with moulded
jambs and two-centred arch, probably of the 13th
Fittings—Brasses: In chancel — on S. wall,
figures of two women in pedimental head-dresses
and group of six children, early 16th-century.
Chairs: In chancel—two (Plate, p. xlii) with
pierced and carved backs, shaped and carved arms
and turned legs with carved and turned rails,
possibly late 17th-century. Floor-slab: In tower—
to Jeremiah Watts, 1711. Font (Plate, pp. xlii–iii):
octagonal, with moulded top and under-side,
each face with square panel carved with blank
shields, roses, a flower, irradiated Agnus Dei,
and a shield—a cheveron between three cinqfoils, two
of the blank shields have later scratchings; stem
with pointed panels and moulded base, 15th or
early 16th-century. Funeral-helm, etc.: In chancel—on N. wall, combed helm with vizor, late
16th-century; on S. wall, gauntlet and short sword.
Lockers: In N. wall of chancel, twin lockers with
rebated jambs and round heads, date uncertain,
probably early 13th-century. Niche: In S.
transept—in W. wall, square and plastered, date
uncertain. Panelling: Used in door in second
stage of tower, 17th-century. Piscina: In S.
transept—in S. wall, with moulded jambs and
trefoiled head, round drain, 13th-century. Plate:
includes cup dated 1663, paten dated 1628 and
larger paten dated 1685. Screen: Under S. arch
to N. tower—with entrance having multifoiled and
traceried head, half modern, four bays on each side
each with cinque-foiled ogee heads and tracery,
moulded mullions and moulded and embattled
cornice, early 16th-century. Tiles: In vestry—
black and yellow glazed tiles laid in patterned
bands, found on site of cottage N. of the church
and relaid here.
Condition—Good, mostly re-built.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the
roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have original
chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
High Street, W. Side
(2). Bull Inn, and range of tenements, 80 yards
S. of the church, are of two storeys with attics
and form a long rectangular building of late 17th-century date which is of plastered brickwork;
at the back is a modern addition. Above an open
carriage-way running through the middle of the
inn is an original three-light window divided by
pilasters having moulded capitals and bases;
the centre light has a semi-circular head. On the
E. and W. sides of the building is a modillioned
eaves-cornice. The attics are lighted by five
gabled dormer-windows on the W. front and four
on the E.
(3). House, now two tenements, 100 yards S.
of (2), is of two storeys with attics. It is of
L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the S. and E. The S. wall is of brick and there
are modern additions at the back. Inside the
building, against the chimney-stack, is an original
circular staircase leading up to the attics.
(4). House, now two tenements, opposite (3),
is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the N. and E. It has modern additions
at the back.
(5). House, 40 yards N. of (4), is built of brick
and faced with plaster. The front block, facing the
street, is of early 17th-century date but has later
modern additions at the back.
(6). Shop, on S. side of Argent Street, 60 yards
S.W. of (3), is of two storeys with attics. It is a
fragment of a larger building.