38. HAWKWELL. (E.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. lxx. S.W.)
Hawkwell is a parish 2 m. N.W. of Rochford.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary stands near
the E. end of the parish. The walls are of plastered
ragstone and flint-rubble, with limestone dressings;
the roofs are tiled. The Nave and Chancel were
built in the 14th century, but the chancel was
altered in the 15th century and the bell-turret is
of the same period. The church was restored in
the 19th century, when the North Vestry and
South Porch were added.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (16 ft.
by 18 ft.) has an E. window, all modern except
the 15th-century rear-arch and splays. In the
S. wall are two windows, the eastern is modern
except the 15th-century rear-arch and splays; the
western window is a 'low-side' of one trefoiled
light and probably of the 14th century. The
15th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of
two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and
the inner resting on attached shafts with moulded
The Nave (30½ ft. by 17¾ ft.) has in the N. wall
a window, all modern except the splays and rear-arch, which are probably of the 14th century;
further W. is the 14th-century N. doorway, with
moulded jambs and two-centred arch. In the
S. wall is a window similar to that in the N. wall;
further W. is the 14th-century S. doorway, with
jambs and two-centred arch of two orders, the
outer moulded and the inner chamfered. In the
W. wall is a window, all modern except the splays.
The bell-turret at the W. end of the nave stands
on four oak posts with cross-beams and curved
braces supporting the square framing of the turret.
The Roof of the chancel is plastered, but has
15th-century moulded wall-plates. The 15th-century roof of the nave has moulded wall-plates,
and a middle truss with an octagonal king-post
having moulded capital and base.
Fittings—Door: In S. doorway—of overlapping
nail-studded battens with strap-hinges and cinque-foiled handle-plate, 15th-century. Piscina: In
chancel—with hollow-chamfered jambs and square
head, 14th or 15th-century, square drain with
chamfered under-edge, probably earlier. Plate:
includes cup of 1662.
(2). Homestead Moat, at Parsonage Farm,
550 yards S.W. of the church.
(3). Clements Hall, house, ½ m. N.W. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
weather-boarded. It was built probably in the
16th century on a L-shaped plan with the wings
extending to the N. and W. In the middle of the
E. front is a two-storeyed projecting bay with an
entrance porch in front. The house has been
much altered and there are modern additions on
the N. and W. The upper storey projects at the
W. end of the S. front. Inside the building one
of the ground-floor rooms has a restored fireplace
of c. 1600, with a carved wooden overmantel of
three semi-circular arches springing from imposts
and divided by pilasters carved with strapwork
ornament and caryatides and supporting a continuous moulded cornice. Flanking the jambs of
the fireplace are panels carved with similar caryatides and strap-ornament. A modern door in the
same room incorporates some 17th-century