Branston was a tithing in Burton manor by the late
13th century, and in the 14th century it sent four
frankpledges to the twice-yearly view. The tithing had
two frankpledges in the later 16th century, and they
were still chosen at the view in 1640, although responsibility for village matters had probably passed by that
date to parish officers: constables for Branston made
presentments at the view in 1621. (fn. 1) In 1324 the reeve
who managed the grange farm was chosen by the vill of
Branston, possibly an indication that the local community was then responsible for the grange. (fn. 2)
A pinner was chosen at the manor court in 1630.
The office was probably continued, but is not recorded
again until the late 1780s. The pinfold mentioned at
that date probably stood at the south end of Branston
green next to the turnpike gate, its site in 1823. (fn. 3)
There was a vestry by 1774, and a poor-rate levied that
year was presumably administered by an overseer of
the poor. (fn. 4) What was called the 'Town House' in 1759,
standing in the angle of the turnpike road and the
Tatenhill road south of the village, was probably a poor
house. (fn. 5) Branston became part of Burton poor-law
union on its formation in 1837. (fn. 6)
||S.R.O., D. (W.) 1734/2/1/140, m. 8; above, Burton, local
govt. (manorial govt.).
||Above, econ. hist. (agric.).
||S.R.O. 11/M/05, f. ; D. (W.) 1734/2/1/158, m. 7; S.R.O.,
Q/RDc 79, plan C.
||Ibid. D. 603/H/5/28, map IV entries, no. 31; D. (W.) 1734/
||Burton Libr., D. 25/1/1, p. 3.