Thomas Snow was returned as a papist in 1657, and
again in 1667 along with another man and a woman. (fn. 6)
Snow was one of three people in Branston presented in
1668 for not coming to church. (fn. 7)
Thomas Wayte, a deacon at the Congregational
chapel in Burton, held services in Branston apparently
from 1804, having gathered a meeting to start a
clothing club. His house in Branston was registered
for worship in 1808. A chapel was built on the north
side of Main Street in 1834, and the average attendance
in 1851 was 73 adults, besides Sunday school children. (fn. 8)
Services were discontinued in the late 1970s, and the
building was later used for commercial purposes. (fn. 9)
A family at Rough Hay had a child baptized in the
Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Burton in 1809, and a
chapel for that denomination was opened at Branston
in 1812. (fn. 10) Nothing further is known about it.
Primitive Methodists had a society at Branston by
1823, and houses registered in 1824 and 1832 were
evidently for that society, which had 12 members in the
latter year. Although the society still existed in 1842,
services seem no longer to have been held at Branston
and members probably went to chapel in Burton. (fn. 11)
Primitive Methodists were again holding services at
Branston in 1892. A chapel at the southern end of
Main Street was registered in 1896; services had ceased
by 1925 and the building was later demolished. (fn. 12)
A Primitive Methodist chapel built at Rough Hay in
1897 was still open in 1999 as Anslow Methodist
church. (fn. 13)
S.H.C. 4th ser. ii. 91; Cath. Rec. Soc. vi. 309.
S.H.C. 4th ser. iii. 16; A. G. Matthews, Congregational
Churches of Staffs. (preface dated 1924), 213; P.R.O., HO 129/
||Burton Libr., D. 86/1/1, baptism of 21 Feb. 1809; S.H.C.
4th ser. iii. 25.
S.H.C. 4th ser. iii. 57, 78; Burton Libr., D. 28/B/1/1 and 3;
||Burton Libr., D. 68, preachers' plan 1892; O.N.S. (Birk-
dale), Worship Reg. no. 35666; O.S. Map 6", Staffs. XLVII. NE.
||O.N.S. (Birkdale), Worship Reg. no. 36168; date stone on