A Sunday school was established by Congregationalists,
possibly soon after they registered their first place of
worship in Branston in 1808. There was an average
attendance of 45 children in 1851. (fn. 1) A schoolroom of
1868 formerly stood opposite the chapel. (fn. 2)
A day school was started in 1825 and it had 15
pupils in 1833, when there was also an infants' school. (fn. 3)
An Anglican school-church was opened in 1844, and
on Census Sunday 1851 there was an attendance of 28
children at each of three classes. (fn. 4) By 1846 it also served
as a National day school. (fn. 5)
Branston was included in a school board district
established for the Burton area in 1873. (fn. 6) At first the
board used the premises of the National school, and
there was an average attendance of 46 children. A new
schoolroom was built on the north side of Main Street in
1875 and was enlarged in 1881. (fn. 7) It remained an all-age
school until 1939, when the seniors were transferred to
Clarence Street school, in Burton. In 1956 it was
renamed Rykneld county primary school. (fn. 8) Because the
link road to Burton from the A38 bypass ran too close to
the building, a new school was built in 1964 on a site to
the west, and the old building was demolished. (fn. 9)
Paget high school on the south side of Burton Road
was opened by the county council in 1973. When the
council took control of education in Burton after the
abolition of the county borough in 1974, the Paget
school was used as the senior department of a comprehensive school whose junior section was in Clarence
Street in Burton. That school building was closed in
1984 and the Branston building extended to take the
additional pupils. (fn. 10)
||Matthews, Cong. Churches of Staffs. 213; P.R.O., HO 129/
Staffs. Advertiser, 31 Oct. 1868, p. 7; local inf. A memorial
stone recording the donor's gift of the schoolroom was moved to
its present site behind the Anglican church when the chapel was
closed in the late 1970s.
Educ. Enq. Abstract, 872.
||P.R.O., HO 129/375/4/6/16; above, established church.
||S.R.O., D. 4856/1/1, p. 13.
Lond. Gaz. 28 Jan. 1873, p. 381.
||P.R.O., ED 7/108/41; Kelly's Dir. Staffs. (1880; 1884).
||S.R.O., CEH/18/1, pp. 1, 194, 196, 250.
||Ibid. CEH/18/2, entries for 5 Feb. 1964 and 10 Feb. 1965.
||Inf. from the headteacher.