12. AYOT ST. PETER.
(O.S. 6 in. xxviii. N.W.)
(1). Ayot Place, a farmhouse about ½ mile
W. of St. Peter's Church, is built of timber
and plaster, and dated 1615; the roofs are tiled.
The plan is of the L type; one wing, facing N.,
contains an entrance lobby, staircase, parlours,
etc.; the other, facing E., contains the original
hall, now the kitchen. Both wings show signs
of having been originally longer. The N.
elevation is of timber and plaster, but the
kitchen wing has been partly cased with
brick. There are two chimney stacks,
finished with separate octagonal and twisted
shafts having moulded caps; both much restored. In the hall is a large beam, part of one
of the original roof-trusses, decorated with a
complete Doric entablature and elaborate curvilinear cresting; on the frieze are five shields
with the arms of Perient, Brocket and Boteler
quartering Kilpec; in the centre is the date
1615. A floor carried from the N. wall to this
beam, forms a chamber or gallery over the N.
end of the hall.
Condition—Good, but much altered and
repaired in the 19th century.