(O.S. 6 in. ix. N.W.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene
stands close to the village, on the W. side of the
main road. It is built of flint with stone dressings, which were renewed in 1861, when, the
church was restored and most of the internal
stone re-worked and cleaned, if not also entirely
renewed. The Chancel was built probably in
the 13th century, and the chancel arch was
widened c. 1400. The Nave appears to have
been widened, and the Aisles added early in the
15th century, but the N. arcade was possibly
re-built later. The West Tower was also built
early in the 15th century, the clearstorey added,
and the nave re-roofed. In 1861 the tower was
re-built from its foundations, and the Organ
Chamber and Vestry were added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel
(35 ft. by 16 ft.) has an E. window with old
inner jambs and rear arch, and modern tracery.
In the N. wall are two blocked lancets and a
three-light window, and in the S. wall, a lancet
and a two-light low-side window; they are all
probably copies of the old windows. The
chancel arch, of early 15th-century date, is of
two moulded orders, with moulded jambs,
capitals and label. The Nave (67 ft. by
19 ft.) has 15th-century N. and S. arcades
of six bays with carved label stops; the
capitals in the two arcades differ slightly in
detail: the corbels supporting the roof are
also carved, most of them as angels with shields,
while three are of men in a crouching posture,
and another is of a woman's head. The clearstorey has five windows on each side. The rood-loft stairs in the S.W. angle have been destroyed, but the doorway remains. The North
and South Aisles (16 ft. wide) have modern
windows of 15th-century character, and the S.
doorway has been re-worked; the roof corbels
resemble those in the nave. The South Porch
is modern. The West Tower (14 ft. square)
retains its 15th-century archway opening into
the nave. The Roofs are modern.
Fittings—Brasses: in the S. aisle, of Robert
Poynard, 1561, his two wives and four
daughters: in the chancel, inscription to Ann,
wife of John Rowley, 1613. Glass: in the E.
windows of aisles, fragments of Jesse window,
15th-century. Floor Slab: in the chancel, to
Ann, second wife of John Rowley, 1650. Gravestones: in the churchyard, to Richard Mills,
1698, George Grout, 1678, and Ann Grout, 1684.
Piscina: in the chancel, 13th-century.
Condition—Very good; much restored.
(2). Mount and Bailey Castle, at Periwinkle
Hill, ½ mile W. of the village, stands about
500 ft. above O.D. It is now almost level with
the surrounding soil, but the plan is that of a
small moated mount with a bailey on the N.E.,
partly sub-divided by a branch from the ditch
which surrounds the whole. No traces of ramparts remain.
Dimensions—Length through mount and
bailey, S.W. to N.E., 280 ft.; width, 230 ft.
Condition—Poor; being on arable land
gradual effacement by ploughing is inevitable.
(3). Homestead Moat, at Parsonage Farm.
(4). Newsells House, nearly a mile N. of the
church, is a two-storeyed brick building, probably of late 17th-century date, with modern
additions. The plan was apparently rectangular,
with two wings projecting slightly to the S.,
but in the 19th century the ground floor space
between them was enclosed to form a hall, and
other wings were added. A moulded stone
cornice, enriched with brackets, and a parapet
are carried round the building. The windows
have wood sash frames. Most of the principal
rooms have white marble fireplaces and ornamented plaster ceilings. On the dining room
walls are carvings in wood of fruit and flowers
in the style of Grinling Gibbons, and the
mouldings of the doors and windows are also
A stone mortar with handles, probably of the
15th century, is kept in one of the outbuildings,
and in the walls of a "grotto" or summer house
are fragments of 17th and 18th-century carved
stones; two of them represent goats' heads in
(5). The Manor House, about 100 yards S. of
the church, is a three-storeyed building of
early 17th-century date. The walls, originally
of plastered timber, were partly re-built in brick
about the middle of the 17th century. The plan
was L-shaped, but the addition of a wing in the
19th century has made it nearly square. In
the curvilinear gables on the E. and S., part of
the 17th-century rebuilding, are brick mullioned
and transomed windows; the elevations on
the N. and W. retain some of the original
plastered timber work, considerably altered,
and a few wood-framed casement windows.
The chimney stacks carry separate octagonal
shafts. The interior has been completely
altered, but retains a stone fireplace with, a
moulded four-centred arch and some early 17th-century panelling.
(6). House, about 100 yards E. by S. of the
church, built of plastered timber early in the
17th century; the roofs are tiled. The plan is
of the central chimney type, but with an extra
parlour on the N. and a further extension
pierced by an arch opening into the yard at the
back. The W., or street front, has three
symmetrically designed overhanging gables
carried on moulded bressumers, which are
supported by carved brackets. The chimney
stacks are finished with separate octagonal
shafts. The windows and interior were much
altered in the 18th and 19th centuries.
(7). Small Houses and Cottages, built of
timber and plaster, are of late 16th and early
17th-century date; some of the roofs are tiled,
and others thatched. All the buildings have
been much repaired, and many of them refronted in the 18th century.