(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxxiii. S.E. (b)xxxviii. N.W.)
a(1). Dwelling House, on the E. side of
Boxmoor House, found and planned in 1851.
Roman burials have been discovered near it.
Condition—No remains above ground.
b(2). Parish Church of St. Lawrence,
stands on high ground on the N. side of the
village. It was entirely re-built in 1845, with
the exception of the lower part of the walls of
the W. tower.
Fittings—Bells: three, 1st by Chandler 1663,
2nd by W. Whitmore, 1654. Brasses:
in the chancel floor, partly hidden by
the choir stalls, to Henry Maine, 1605: to
Andrew Mayne, 1621: to Mary Mayne, 1641:
to John Hall, 1617. Monuments and Floor
Slabs: in the tower, stone effigy, early 15th-century, of a knight wearing pointed bascinet
with camail and hauberk, the gypon is apparently of leather, but the elbow cops and leg
defences are of plate, the sword belt is
jewelled; at the feet is a hound; the supporting
figures at the head and hands are missing: in
the chancel, several 17th-century floor slabs,
one to James Mayne, 1642, with marginal inscription, inlaid marble.
b(3). Rentstreet Farm, about ½ mile S.E.
of the church, is a rectangular building of
timber and brick; the roof is tiled. The
lower storey has closely spaced vertical timbers,
and is possibly of late 16th-century date; the
projecting upper storey, with timbers further
apart, was probably built at a later date.