Brickendon, Urban and Rural

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1910

Supporting documents

Page

71

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Brickendon, Urban and Rural', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire (1910), pp. 71. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=123558 Date accessed: 23 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

26. BRICKENDON, Urban and Rural.

(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxix. S.E. (b)xxxvi. N.E.)

Ecclesiastical

a (1). Parish Church of All Saints (Hertford), S.E. of the Castle, of late 19th-century date, contains, from the earlier building, which was burnt down in 1891, the following:— Brasses: in the N. transept, fragment of man's figure, feet remain, 15th-century: inscription to Thomas Boole, 1456: inscription in French to John Hunger, 1435, once Master Cook to Queen Katherine, wife of Henry V.

Secular

Homestead Moat

b (2). At Brickendonbury, fragments.

a (3). The Walnuts, Castle Street, built probably c. 1650, but much altered at later dates, is a two-storeyed house of brick and timber; the roof is tiled. The plastered street front may be of late 17th or early 18th-century date; a few original metal window casements remain.

Condition—Good.

a (4). Bridgeman House, No. 37, West Street, is a red brick building of two storeys and an attic; the tiled roof was originally hipped at both ends. The house was built c. 1660–80, and is now divided into two tenements; the plan is rectangular, with a central chimney stack; at the W. end is a modern addition, of which the face is flush with the original N. wall. The N. front is divided into seven bays by tall shallow panels; the two containing the windows have segmental heads, and the others semi-circular heads, with plain projecting imposts and keystones. The windows have modern mullioned frames. The porch in front of the principal entrance in the middle bay is original; it is of oak, and has at the corners round pillars, with moulded square bases and moulded capitals; above them are square angle posts, enriched with shallow ornament, against which are curved brackets, supporting a moulded cornice; the roof is flat. The door is also original, with oval and square panels, and opens in two leaves. Some old ceiling beams and an original carved wood mantelpiece and shelf remain inside the house, but the fireplaces have been reduced in size.

Condition—Good.



<--Previous:
Brent Pelham
Next:-->
Broadfield