Manor Horninglow was a tithing in Burton manor by
the late 13th century, and in the 14th century it sent
four frankpledges to the twice-yearly view. There were
only two frankpledges in the later 16th century but
three by 1583. They were still chosen at the view in
1640, although responsibility for village matters had
probably passed by that date to parish officers. (fn. 7) The
pinfold recorded in 1852 probably stood in the angle of
Tutbury Road and Kitling Greaves Lane, its site in the
early 1880s. (fn. 1)
Parish The parish officers in the late 17th century
comprised two constables (one from 1707), an over-
seer of the poor, and a surveyor of the highways. In
1753 the township appointed two men for a 12-year
period at 1 guinea each to do the work of the elected
officers, and that arrangement was evidently still in
force in 1796. (fn. 2) By the later 1750s the accounts were
approved by a vestry. (fn. 3) The township became part of
Burton poor-law union on its formation in 1837. (fn. 4)
A 'prison house' (presumably a lock-up) recorded in
1852 apparently stood in Horninglow Road North. (fn. 5)
After Outwoods civil parish was created in 1894, the
rest of Horninglow continued to exist as its own civil
parish until it was incorporated into Burton-upon-
Trent civil parish in 1904. (fn. 6)
||Above, Burton, local govt. (manorial govt.); cf. above,
Branston, local govt.
||S.R.O., D. 3453/6/27, Horninglow, p. 257; O.S. Map 6",
Staffs. XL. NE. (1884 edn.).
||S.R.O. D. (W.) 510/2, esp. ff. 93v., 95.
||Ibid. D. (W.) 510/1.
||Burton Libr., D. 25/1/1, p. 3.
||S.R.O., D. 3453/6/27, Horninglow, p. 2.
||Above, Burton, local govt. (parish govt.).