66. HODDESDON, Urban and Rural.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxxvi S.E. (b)xxxvii. N.W.)
High Street, E. side
b(1). St. Monica's Priory, formerly Rawdon
House, about ⅓ mile S. of the church, is a large
red brick building with stone dressings, of two
storeys and an attic; the roof is tiled. It was
built by Marmaduke Rawdon in 1622; a stone
over the porch bears the date, and several lead
rain-water heads also have the date and
the initials M.R. The original plan was
rectangular, with a projecting porch and bay
windows on the W. or main front, and a square
tower, containing the staircase, at the back; a
N.W. wing was added in 1880, and the building
was very carefully restored. The W. Elevation
has a plain stone cornice with a range of five
curvilinear gables above it; in the middle gable,
over the porch, is the date 1622; the other gables
have circular openings, with a small stone cross
in low relief above each opening. The projecting porch is of two storeys; the lower part has
been restored, and has granite columns on each
side; the upper part has engaged shafts of
brick, with capitals which support a modern
brick pierced parapet. On each side of the
porch are two projecting bay windows in two
storeys, with heavy mullions and transoms, and
modern brick embattled parapets; all the windows have been restored, but the brick pilasters
between those on the first floor are original.
The attic windows are also mullioned, and have
been restored. On the E. or Garden Front the
square central tower rises above the roof and
terminates in a pierced parapet, enclosing a
gallery with cupola and sidelights of glass.
The garden door is original and has a semi-circular head, elaborately fluted and panelled;
all the windows have been restored. The
rectangular chimney stacks are original, and
have pilastered sides and projecting caps. The
hall is in the middle of the original block, and
has a plaster ceiling with a design of fleurs-delis, Tudor roses, etc., a plaster frieze of geometrical design and a wide fireplace with plaster
figures. The library on the N. of the hall was
probably originally the kitchen. The 17th-century, wide oak staircase, which is carried up
to the attic, has heraldic newels and a pierced
balustrade, with heraldic figures of dragons,
griffins, etc., on the first floor, and figures,
apparently Biblical, on the top floor. On the
first floor landing is an elaborate four-centred
doorway of oak, with a square head; the door is
panelled and the lintel and pilasters are enriched with strap work. There are some old
doors, panelling and beams in a few of the
rooms, but most of the original fittings were
sold in the 19th century, when the house became the property of Canonesses of the Augustinian Order. Three of the fireplaces are at
Rothamsted. (See Harpenden.)
Condition—Good, but restored and altered.
b(2). Stanborough House, now the Conservative Club, 1/8 mile S. of the church, is a late 16th
or early 17th-century house, with a central wing
at the back, dated 1637, the plan of the building
being T-shaped. The W. block (or head of the
T), facing the street, is of two storeys and attics,
and has timber-framed and plastered walls.
The roofs are tiled, and there is an original
chimney stack of narrow bricks. Externally
this block is of modern appearance, but inside
there are several original oak floor joists with
chamfered edges and moulded stops. The wing
of 1637 (forming the stem of the T) is of three
storeys, built of brick, and has several rain
water heads bearing the date: the N. front is
divided by shallow pilasters into six bays, below
the cornice at the second floor level; the line of
the high parapet above this is broken by a semi-circular gable in the middle and a plain gable
at the E. end of the front. The outer doorway,
in the second bay from the W., has an original
oak panelled door; each window on the ground
floor has a shallow form of ornamental pediment; two of the original windows on the first
floor are blocked. The E. or end wall of the
wing has a curvilinear gable and modern windows. On the S. side are two chimney stacks
with five square shafts, four set diagonally; the
westernmost shaft is modern, and the others
apparently re-built with old bricks. Inside the
wing there is a fine oak staircase with heavy
newels, some with double heads, a deep moulded
handrail, and carved flat balusters, moulded to
the rake of the stairs. Several rooms retain
their original oak panelling, in small squares
with stop-moulded frames, and one room has a
carved oak chimney piece. Some oak panelled
doors, studded with nails, also remain.
b(3). Hogges Hall, about ¼ mile S. of the
church, is a building of two storeys, timber-framed, and covered with rough-cast cement; the
roof is slated, but under it is said to be part of
the original roof with some old tiles. The
present plan is of an irregular half-H shape, and
externally the house is entirely modern, but
detail in the main block, which faces W., shows
it to be part of a 15th-century building, probably of rectangular or perhaps L-shaped plan,
with a N. wing, as at present, containing the
kitchen, etc. This wing and two small rooms
on the E. side of the main block have no detail
by which they can be dated; the wing at the
S. end was added by the present owner of the
house. The hall, in the main block, appears
to be the N. half of the original hall, and has
an open timber ceiling with 15th-century beams;
at the N. end is a timber-framed, plastered partition, in which is a 15th-century wood doorway with a cinque-foiled hollow chamfered
ogee arch and plain chamfered posts; W.
of it was formerly a similar doorway, and the
notch to receive the arch can still be seen in
one of the posts; these doorways probably
led to the kitchen and buttery. The rooms
N. and S. of the hall have old ceiling joists, but
all the other details of the interior are modern,
except a little panelling of late 16th and early
17th-century date, brought from elsewhere.
b(4). The Grange, about 700 yards S. of the
church, is a two-storeyed house of brick.
It seems to have been built in the 16th
century, but was re-built early in the 18th
century, and has later alterations and additions. The original plan is untraceable.
One room is lined with early 17th-century
panelling, not in situ, and has an overmantel
and enriched cornice of late 17th-century date.
In the domestic offices are three doors of c. 1600,
with long, narrow, moulded panels, and there is
also a fragment of a carved frieze panel, in oak,
of the same date.
Condition—Good; much altered.
b(5). The Golden Lion Inn, about 500 yards
S. of the church, is a small, two-storeyed house
of plastered timber and brick, built c. 1600, and
much altered in the 18th and 19th centuries.
The plan is L-shaped, with the principal rooms,
now parlour and bar, in the long wing, which
faces the street, and the domestic offices in the
short wing. The upper storey projects on the
front, and is carried on rough-axed beams; a
door on this level, under a small gable at the
back, is reached by a ladder. The two chimney
stacks have been re-built.
Condition—Good; much altered.
b(6). The Old Swan Inn, probably of late
16th-century date, is a two-storeyed house built
of red brick and timber; the roof is covered with
slate. The upper storey projects over a
moulded oak cornice, and in the front is a large
bay window, supported on two columns.
Condition—Good; much restored and altered.
b(7). The Griffin Hotel retains some timber
work, probably of early 17th-century date.
Condition—Good; much altered and repaired.
b(8). Bell, in the Clock Tower, at the N. end
of the street, about 200 yds. S.W. of the church,
was cast by Thomas Bullisdon early in the 16th
century, and bears the inscription 'Sancta Ana
ora pro nobis.' It probably belonged to an
ancient chapel, on the site of which the tower
b(9). Cottages (Nos. 71–75), on the W. side
of Amwell Street, are probably of the 17th
century. They are built of brick and timber;
the roofs are tiled.
b(10). Stone Conduit-Head, formerly at the
public well in the High Street, was removed in
the 19th century, and is temporarily placed at
Connal's Farm, about 2/3 mile E. of the church.
It represents the three-quarter figure of a
woman, life-size, holding a pitcher, and was
given by Sir Marmaduke Rawdon (who built
Rawdon House in 1622) to the town.
Condition—Damaged and weatherworn.
a(11). Tumulus, S. of road at Hoddesdonbury.