There was a day school in 1833, probably replaced by
the National school opened in 1846 on a surviving
piece of the village green at the junction of Horninglow
Road North and Farm Road. Paid for with the aid of
grants from the National Society and the Privy Council, the building is of red brick with a bellcote and
Gothick windows. (fn. 15)
Horninglow was included in a school board district
established for the Burton area in 1873, and a board
school was built in 1876 south-east of the village in
Horninglow Road North. (fn. 16) A board school for the
growing part of the township east of the canal was
built in 1881 on land between Stafford Street (boys'
entrance) and Goodman Street (girls' and infants'
entrances), and a third board school was opened in
Shobnall Road in the south of the township in 1888. (fn. 17)
The Horninglow Road North, Stafford Street, and
Goodman Street schools remained all-age schools
until 1929, when the senior boys were transferred to
Victoria Road school, in Burton, and Goodman Street
became a senior school for girls. (fn. 18) Seniors from
Shobnall Road school were probably transferred
about the same time.
When a new secondary school for both boys and girls
was opened in Harehedge Lane in 1958, the Goodman
Street building became Lansdowne junior school. In
1991 the juniors were moved to Eton Park school in
Mansfield Crescent, so making room for the infants from
the Stafford Street building, which was demolished. The
Goodman Street building remained in use in 1999 as
Lansdowne infants school. The Horninglow Road
school became an infants' school only but the Shobnall
Road school remained a primary school in 1999.
Several other primary schools have been opened:
William Hutson junior school in Harehedge Lane
(1953); (fn. 1) St. Modwen's Roman Catholic primary
school in Belvoir Road (1969); Belvedere junior school
in Outwoods Street (1973); Castle Park infants' school
off Tutbury Road (1972); and Eton Park junior school in
Mansfield Crescent (1991).
Horninglow secondary school on the south side of
Harehedge Lane was opened in 1958. In 1975 it was
amalgamated with Dovecliff grammar school just over
the Stretton boundary to become Wulfric comprehensive school, which in turn was amalgamated in 1985
with Forest of Needwood high school in Rolleston to
become the present De Ferrers high school. The
Horninglow buildings are occupied as the Dove
Campus site of that school, and an extension was
built in 1996. (fn. 2)
Educ. Enq. Abstract, 872; plaque on bdg.
Lond. Gaz. 28 Jan. 1873, p. 381; Kelly's Dir. Staffs. (1884);
P.R.O., ED 7/112/Burton/6.
||P.R.O., ED 7/112/Burton/8 and 9; S.R.O., D. 3078/D/2/46.
||Rest of para. and the next two paras. are based on inf.
from the respective headteachers and plaques in schs.
||Hutson was a Labour cllr. for Victoria ward 1920-39,
alderman 1939-50, and mayor 1932-34: Stuart, County Borough,
i. 51, 56, 254.
||Inf. from headteacher.