In 942 King Edmund granted an estate at Stretton to
Wulfsige the Black, possibly an ancestor of Wulfric
Spot, the founder of Burton abbey. (fn. 15) The abbey held
the manor in 1066 and in 1086, when it was assessed
for tax on 1 1/2 hide. (fn. 16) The same assessment was
recorded in the early 12th century for 'the land of
the men' held 'in defence', meaning land which was
taxable by the Crown. (fn. 17)
Stretton became a tithing in Burton manor, and
after the dissolution of the abbey and then of Burton
college it passed as part of that manor to the Paget
family. (fn. 18)
Charters of Burton Abbey, ed. Sawyer, p. 9.
||Ibid. p. 55; V.C.H. Staffs. iv. 43.
S.H.C. 1916, 217.
||Above, Burton, manor.