Stretton was a tithing in Burton manor by the late 13th
century, and in the 14th century it sent four frankpledges
to the twice-yearly view. In the later 16th century there
were only two frankpledges, and they were still chosen at
the view in 1640, although responsibility for village
matters had probably passed by that date to parish
officers. (fn. 5) There was a pinfold for Stretton in 1574. (fn. 6)
Stretton had its own constable in 1609. (fn. 7) By the early
19th century there was a vestry, which met to approve
the accounts of parish officers, including two overseers
of the poor. (fn. 8) The township became part of Burton
poor-law union on its formation in 1837. (fn. 9)
||Above, Burton, local govt. (manorial govt.); cf. above,
Branston, local govt.
||S.R.O., D. (W.) 1734/3/4/70, memo. re commoning
between Stretton and Rolleston, 1574.
||Ibid. D. 4219/7/1, warrant of 9 Sept. 1609.
||Burton Libr., D. 106/2/1-8.
||Ibid. D. 25/1/1, p. 3.