AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS
ACCREDITED TO A DATE ANTERIOR TO 1714,
Arranged by Parishes.
(Unless otherwise stated, the dimensions given in the Inventory are internal. Monuments with titles
printed in italics are covered by an introductory sentence to which reference should be made. The
key-plans of those churches which are not illustrated by historically hatched plans are drawn to a
uniform scale of 48 ft. to the inch, with the monumental portions shown in solid black.)
1. ABBOTS RIPTON (C.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XIII S.E., (b)XIV S.W., (c)XVIII N.W.)
Abbots Ripton is a parish and village 4 m. N.
of Huntingdon. The church is the principal
b (1). Parish Church of St. Andrew stands on
the W. side of the village. The walls generally are
of stone and pebble-rubble with some freestone;
the dressings are of Barnack stone; the roofs are
covered with lead and tiles. The Nave was built
in the 13th century and probably about the middle
of the same century the South Aisle was added and
the South Porch built. The narrow width and thick
outer wall of the North Aisle may indicate that
it is of earlier date than the details, which are all
of the 15th century. Late in the 15th or early
in the 16th century, the Chancel was re-built, the
chancel-arch widened, the North Chapel added and
the N. arcade of the nave re-built; it was probably
intended to rebuild also the S. arcade, but only
the W. respond was actually reconstructed. The
clearstorey of the nave is of the same period.
The West Tower was added or re-built rather later
in the 16th century. The church was restored in
1858 and 1868.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (31 ft.
by 16 ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N.
wall is an early 16th-century arch, four-centred
and of two moulded orders, the outer continous
and the inner resting on attached shafts with
moulded capitals and bases; the W. base and part
of the shaft have been cut away; there is a
moulded label on each face of the arch springing
from attached shafts; further E. is an early
16th-century window of three cinque-foiled lights
with vertical tracery in a four-centred head with
a moulded label; the external reveals are casementmoulded. In the S. wall are two similar windows.
The chancel-arch is two-centred and of two
moulded orders dying on to plain splayed responds;
some voussoirs of the arch are probably of the
13th century; the arch as a whole was probably
re-built in the 15th or early in the 16th century;
flanking the chancel-arch are two squints, that on
the N. with a four-centred head on the W. and a
two-centred head on the E. face; the southern
squint has a four-centred head, on the E. face, and
is now blocked. In the E. face of the gable above
the chancel-arch is an arched recess perhaps for
The North Chapel (15 ft. by 8½ ft.) has an early
16th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled
lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred head
with a moulded label and casement-moulded
external reveals. In the N. wall is a window
similar to that in the N. wall of the chancel;
further E. is a doorway of similar date and with
splayed jambs and four-centred arch.
The Nave (41¼ ft. by 15 ft.) has an early 16th-century N. arcade of three bays with two-centred
arches; the details are similar to those of the N.
arch in the chancel, the piers being formed of two
responds set back to back; on the N. face the
small shafts are carried up the wall for some four
feet, probably to take roof-corbels. The face of
the E. respond is partly cut square and a shaft
brought out below the cutting to form a pedestal
for an image; it is now defaced. The mid 13th-century S. arcade, perhaps re-built in the 16th
century, is of three bays with two-centred arches
of one splayed and moulded order; the cylindrical
columns have moulded capitals and 'hold-water'
bases; the E. arch dies on to the wall; the W.
respond is similar in date and detail to the responds
of the N. arcade. The early 16th-century clear-storey has on each side three windows each of
two trefoiled lights in a four-centred head with
casement-moulded external reveals.
The North Aisle (8¾ ft. wide) is undivided from
the N. chapel. In the N. wall are two 15th-century
windows each of three cinque-foiled lights with
tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded
label and carved beast or grotesque stops; the
15th-century N. doorway has moulded jambs
and two-centred arch with a moulded label.
The South Aisle (11¼ ft. wide) has an E. window
similar in date and detail to the E. window of the
N. chapel. The S. wall has a 13th-century wall-arcade of three bays, extending for most of its
length; the arches are of one plain order and the
responds and intermediate piers have chamfered
angles and trefoiled stops at the springing-level
and hollow-chamfered imposts on the reveals;
each recess has a stone bench; the two eastern
bays of the arcade each enclose a window, the
eastern modern and the second similar to those
in the N. aisle but with modern mullions and
tracery; the S. doorway is probably of the 13th
century, perhaps subsequently re-built; it has
chamfered jambs and two-centred head with a
The West Tower (11 ft. square) is of early 16th-century date and of three stages with an embattled
parapet and plain pinnacles at the angles. The
two-centred tower-arch is of two orders, the outer
hollow-chamfered and continuous and the inner
chamfered and springing from attached shafts
with crudely moulded capitals and bases. The
splay of the stair-turret, in the S.W. angle, is
carried on a segmental arch. The W. window is
of three four-centred lights with uncusped vertical
tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded
label; the W. doorway has moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label; it is now blocked. The
second stage has in the N. wall a single four-centred light; on the S. wall is a clock-face. The
bell-chamber has in each wall a window of two
four-centred and transomed lights in a four-centred head with a moulded label.
The South Porch has an early 13th-century
outer archway, two-centred and of two chamfered
orders; the outer order of the jambs has free
shafts with moulded capitals and bases, the abaci
being continued round the inner order of the jambs.
The side walls have each a 15th-century window
of two four-centred lights in a four-centred head
with a modern mullion.
The Roof of the chancel is of early 16th-century
date and of two bays; it is flat-pitched and has
four-centred arched trusses with traceried spandrels;
at the foot of each wall-post is a standing figure;
the figures include men and women but their
attributes are not sufficient for identification;
the main timbers are moulded; at the base of the
intermediate principals are carved figures. The
late 15th- or early 16th-century roof of the nave
is of three bays, with moulded main timbers;
the trusses have traceried spandrels and a carved
foliated boss (one modern) in the middle of each.
The early 16th-century roof of the N. chapel is
of pent form with chamfered principals, wall-posts and curved braces.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by William Dawe,
c. 1400, inscribed "Non venit ad veniam qui nescit
amare Mariam"; 2nd by Tobias Norris, 1671.
Bracket: In N. chapel—in N.E. angle, plain
shaped bracket of stone. Brass: In N. chapel—
on S. wall, to Thomas Cowche, 1641–2, inscription
only. Communion Table: (Plate 151) In N.
chapel—of oak with turned legs, enriched upper
rails with scrolled brackets, late 16th- or early
17th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with quatre-foiled panel in each face and moulded under-edge,
plain stem and splayed base, 15th-century. Glass:
In N. aisle—in westermost window, collection of
fragments including crowned M., fragments of
tabernacle-work and borders and quarries with rose
in middle, 15th-century. Monument and Floor-slab.
Monument: In N. chapel—on N. wall, to Charles
Trimnell, rector of the parish, 1702, and Mary his
wife, 1684, plain grey marble tablet. Floor-slab:
Now used as step to N. doorway of N. chapel,
to C.T. (Charles Trimnell), 1702. Piscinae: In
chancel—splayed recess with two-centred head and
round bowl, date uncertain, partly restored. In
N. chapel—in S. wall, plain square recess with
corbelled shelf and remains of drain, date uncertain.
In S. aisle—in S. wall, recess with chamfered jambs
and trefoiled head with lobes to cusp-points,
round drain, 13th-century, restored.
Condition—Fairly good, tower out of perpendicular, but no signs of recent movement.
a (2). W. of Heath Farm, nearly 1¼ m. W N.W.
of the church.
c (3). At Bellamy's Grove, about 1 m. S.E. of
b (4). Moat Farm, house and moat, about ¼ m.
E. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are
covered with tiles and slates. It was built in
the later half of the 16th century on a T-shaped
plan with the cross-wing at the W. end and has an
18th-century or modern addition on the N. side.
On the W. side there is an original chimney-stack
with offsets. Built into the front of the house is
a mediæval stone gargoyle. Inside the building
the S. room in the cross-wing has exposed timber-framing, a heavy central post and exposed ceiling-beams. The E. room of the main block has four
refixed Composite pilasters of oak and four panels
carved with swags; the fireplace-recess is fitted
with late 16th- or early 17th-century carved panels.
The early 18th-century staircase has close strings,
square newels and some turned balusters.
Abbots Ripton, Plan Showing the
Position of Monuments
The Moat formerly surrounded the house.
Condition—Of house, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered. The roofs
are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings have
exposed ceiling-beams and original chimney-stacks.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(5). House, on the N.E. side of the road, 160
yards N. of the church, was built probably early
in the 18th century and has a cross-wing at each
b (6). Cottage, two tenements, on the S.W. side
of the road, 130 yards S.E. of the church, was built
probably early in the 18th century.
b (7). House, two tenements, S. of (6), is of
L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the N.W. and N.E. Some of the timber-framing
is exposed on the S.E. side.
b (8). House, 50 yards S.E. of (7), has later
additions on the S. side.
b (9). Cottage, 40 yards N.E. of (8).
b (10). Three Horse Shoes Inn, 200 yards S.E. of
b(11). Cottage, 10 yards N.E. of (10).
b (12). Cottage, 40 yards E. of (10).
b (13). Cottage, 10 yards E. of (12).
b (14). Cottage (Plate 163), on the S. side of
the road, 530 yards E.S.E. of the church, was
built probably late in the 16th century. The
timber-framing is exposed in front.
b (15). Green Farm (Plate 163), house, 250 yards
S.E. of (14), has exposed timber-framing.
b (16). Cottage, 200 yards E. of (14).
b (17). Cottage, 40 yards S.E. of (16), was built
probably early in the 18th century.
b (18). Cottage, 200 yards E. of (17).
b(19). Hall Farm, house, ¾ m. E. of the church,
is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the S.E. and N.E.; there is a modern
addition on the S.W.
a (20). Shooter's Green Farm, house, about 1½ m.
N.W. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the
wings extending towards the N.W. and N.E.
b (21). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 1,540
yards N.N.E. of the church.
b (22). House, 100 yards N.N.E. of (21).
b (23). Cottage, at cross-roads, 40 yards N. of (22).
b (24). Cottage, opposite and 20 yards W. of (23).
b(25). Cottage, two tenements, nearly opposite
and 25 yards N.W. of (21).
b (26). Cottages (Plate 73), block of three
tenements, on the N. side of the road, 50 yards
N.N.W. of (24).
b (27). Cottage, two tenements, 100 yards E.S.E.
b (28). Cottage, E.S.E. of (27).
b (29). Cottage, N.E. of (28).
b (30). Farmhouse, 60 yards N.E. of (29), was built
probably late in the 16th century on a half H-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the S. At
the end of the S.E. wing is a large chimney-stack
of ashlar with a cross-shaped shaft of brick, set
b (31). Cottage, 30 yards S.E. of (28).
b (32). Cottage, 30 yards S.E. of (31), was built
probably early in the 18th century.
b (33). Royal Oak Inn and cottage, E.S.E. of (32).
b (34). Cottage, 40 yards S.E. of (33).
c (35). Mound, on the N.E. side of the St. Ives
road, 1,600 yards E.S.E. of the church, is of roughly
rectangular form with rounded angles. It is about
60 ft. by 54 ft. and 4 ft. high. The mound is said,
locally, to be of recent origin.