9. BRINGTON (A.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. XVI N.E.)
Brington is a small parish 5 m. N. of Kimbolton.
The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands at
the N.W. corner of the village. The walls are of
roughly coursed Weldon rubble with dressings of
Weldon stone; the tower is faced with ashlar;
the roofs are covered with tiles and lead. The Nave
was built in the 14th century and probably later
in the same century the West Tower and South
Porch were added. The Chancel was re-built in the
15th century; it was, however, extensively restored
and the E. gable raised in 1675. The church was
restored in 1868 when the walls of the chancel
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29¼ ft.
by 19¾ ft.) has a 15th-century E. window of three
cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head with
casement-moulded jambs and moulded label.
Set in the gable is a lozenge-shaped stone with the
date 1675. In the N. wall is a 15th-century window
of two cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head
with jambs and label like the E. window; the wall
has an internal string-course now cut back. In the S.
wall are two windows uniform with that in the N.
wall; the sill of the eastern window is carried
down to form a seat; between the windows is a
doorway all modern except part of the chamfered
jambs and square moulded label with carved
stops of c. 1675. The 15th-century chancel-arch
is two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the
outer continuous and the inner springing from
attached half-round shafts, with moulded capitals,
partly restored, and chamfered bases. The lines of
the earlier low-pitched parapet string-course of the
nave are visible above the chancel-arch. S. of the
arch is a square-headed squint.
The Nave (40 ft. by 19 ft.) has in the E. wall, N.
of the chancel-arch, the upper doorway of the
rood-loft staircase; it is of the 15th century and has
a square head. In the N. wall, adjoining, is the
lower doorway of the same staircase also with a
square head and now blocked; the staircase is set
in a projection from the N. wall; in the same wall
are two windows, the eastern of late 14th-century
date and of two trefoiled lights with a quatre-foiled
spandrel in a four-centred head with a moulded
label; the western window is of the 14th century
and of two trefoiled ogee lights in a square head
with a moulded label and head-stops; the late
14th-century N. doorway has moulded jambs and
four-centred head. In the S. wall are three windows;
the two eastern are similar to the western window
in the N. wall; the easternmost partly restored
and having a modern label; the westernmost
window is of c. 1340 and of three trefoiled ogee
lights with flowing tracery in a two-centred head
with a moulded label and mask-stops; the 14th-century S. doorway has jambs and two-centred
arch of two moulded orders.
The West Tower (9½ ft. by 8½ ft.) is of mid to
late 14th-century date and of three stages (Plate
4) with a moulded plinth and a panelled
band of trefoils and quatrefoils at the base
of the spire. The tower-arch is two-centred
and of three chamfered orders, the two outer
continuous and the inner springing from attached
shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The
W. window is of two trefoiled lights with a
quatrefoil in a two-centred head with moulded
jambs and label; the doorway to the turret-staircase has chamfered jambs and ogee head. The
second stage has in the E. wall a square-headed
opening to the roof. In the W. wall is a window
of one trefoiled light in a two-centred head with a
moulded label. The bell-chamber has in each wall
a window of two trefoiled and transomed lights with
a quatre-foiled spandrel in a two-centred head with
a moulded label and grotesque stops. The
octagonal ashlar-faced spire has low pitched
broaches at the base, terminating in grotesque
heads; there are three tiers of spire-lights each
having four windows set in the cardinal faces of
the spire; the windows of the two lower tiers are
each of two trefoiled lights with a spandrel in a
gabled head; the windows of the top tier are each
of one pointed light in a gabled head.
The South Porch is of late 14th-century date
and has a two-centred outer archway with jambs
and arch of two chamfered orders and a moulded
label. The side walls have each a window of one
The Roof of the nave is of 1674 and of four bays;
it is of low pitch with cambered and chamfered
tie-beams with curved braces and trefoiled spandrels; the braces rest on wooden brackets except
at the W. end where there are two re-used grotesque
corbels of stone; the other main timbers are
chamfered except for some moulded timbers of
the 16th century, re-used in the W. bay; the tie-beams have carved bosses, some with conventional
foliage, and on the E. tie-beam is the date 1674.
Fittings—Chest: In tower—with panelled front
cut down and made into coal-box, 17th-century.
Communion Table: with turned legs, shaped
brackets to rails and plain stretchers, early 17th-century, top extended. Doors: In N. doorway—
of overlapping battens, with strap-hinges, probably
16th-century. Font and Cover: plain oval tapering
bowl, set on plain octagonal base brought out to
square by ridged stops, 14th-century, bowl probably
13th-century or earlier. Cover: octagonal and of
pyramidal form with moulded styles and turned
finial, 17th-century. Glass: In nave—in one N.
and two S. windows, fragments with oak leaves,
etc., 14th-century. Locker: In chancel—in E.
wall, square-headed recess, partly restored.
Monument and Floor-slab. Monument: In tower—
on N. wall, to Oliver Pocklington, rector of the
parish, 1681, black marble slab. Floor-slab:
In chancel—to John Knight, 1629–30. Piscina:
In chancel—in N. wall, double with shafted jambs
and free marble shaft in middle, all with moulded
capitals and bases: flat lintel with moulded edge
and chamfered re-used shelf without drains, late
13th-century material re-set. Plate: includes
cup of 1663 with a shield of the arms of Pocklington
and the inscription "Brington Com. Huntingdon,
1664," also paten of 1638.
(2). Church Farm, house and barns, 150 yards S.
of the church. The House is of two storeys with
attics; timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are
tiled. It was built c. 1617 on a half H-shaped plan
with the wings extending towards the E. There
are late 17th-century additions on the E. and W.
and a modern extension on the N. The main
chimney-stack has a panel inscribed "P.H. 1617,"
and three shafts, one of which is set diagonally.
Inside the building are original chamfered ceiling-beams and exposed joists.
The Barn, N.W. of the house, is of brick with a
stone plinth. It is square on plan and dates from
early in the 17th century.
The Barn (Plate 150), W. of the house, is of
cornbrash and of five bays with a tiled roof. On
the S. gable is the date 1672 and a shield-of-arms.
(3). Cottage, now the Post Office, 200 yards
E. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed
and plastered; the roof is thatched. It was built
probably in the 17th century and has stop-chamfered ceiling-beams and exposed joists.
(4). Wayside Cross, in front of (3). The base is
of stone, square and with chamfered angles; only
the lower part of the stem remains. The cross is