12. BUCKWORTH (B.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. XVII N.W.)
Buckworth is a parish 6½ m. N.W. of Huntingdon.
The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands near
the middle of the parish. The walls are of Weldon
and Ketton rubble with some pebbles; the dressings are of Weldon, Ketton and Barnack stone;
the roofs are covered with tiles and lead. There are
some remains of 12th-century work in the E.
angles of the Nave. The S. arcade and a S. aisle
were built late in the 13th century and soon after-wards, c. 1300, the West Tower was added. Early in
the 14th century the Chancel was re-built and the
N. arcade and North Aisle added; a N. vestry
also was probably added, but this has since been
pulled down. Late in the 15th century the N.
wall of the N. aisle was re-built, the South Aisle
largely re-built and the South Porch and clearstorey
added. The church was restored in 1862 and in
1884, and the spire was repaired in 1925.
The W. tower and spire are of considerable
Architectural Description—The Chancel (34 ft.
by 16¼ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N.
wall is a late 15th-century window of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head with a moulded
label; further E. is a blocked 14th-century door-way to the former vestry; it has moulded jambs
and ogee two-centred head. In the S. wall is an
early 14th-century window of three pointed lights
with plain intersecting tracery in a two-centred
head with a moulded label and mask-stops; there
was a second window, towards the E. end of the
wall, but this has been entirely removed; the early
14th-century doorway has a two-centred arch of
two moulded orders with a moulded label and head-stops; the inner order is continued down the jambs
and the outer springs from round shafts with
moulded capitals and bases; the E. shaft is modern.
The early 14th-century chancel-arch is two-centred
and of two hollow-chamfered orders; the responds
are modern; the moulded label has mask-stops.
The Nave (39½ ft. by 19¼ ft.) retains the two
angles of the 12th-century building; both have
an attached angle-shaft with spiral fluting; the
N.E. shaft has a capital carved with volutes;
the S.E. shaft has been removed except for two
stones. The N. arcade of c. 1300–10 is of three
bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered
orders; the columns are octagonal, with moulded
capitals and bases; the responds have moulded
corbels supporting the inner order; the voussoirs
of the E. arch are probably of the 13th century,
re-used; the outer order of the two western arches
is hollow-chamfered. The late 13th-century S.
arcade is of three bays with two-centred arches of
two chamfered orders with a moulded label and
foliated stops; the circular columns have moulded
capitals and bases; the responds have each a
semi-octagonal attached shaft with moulded base
and capital supporting the inner order of the
arcade. The late 15th-century clearstorey has
on each side three windows each of two cinque-foiled
lights in a four-centred head with moulded reveals
The North Aisle (11½ ft. wide) has in the E.
wall an early to mid 14th-century window of three
trefoiled ogee lights with net-tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label. In the N. wall
are two late 15th- or early 16th-century windows
each of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred
head with moulded reveals and label; the re-set
early 14th-century N. doorway has a moulded
two-centred arch and label; the moulded jambs
have each a round shaft with moulded capital and
base. In the W. wall is an early 14th-century
window of three pointed lights with plain intersecting tracery in a two-centred head with a
Buckworth, Parish Church of All Saints.
The South Aisle (12¾ ft. wide) has carved
grotesque gargoyles. In the E. wall is a window
similar to those in the N. wall of the N. aisle. In
the S. wall are three similar windows; the late
15th-century S. doorway has moulded jambs,
two-centred arch and label with head-stops. In
the W. wall is a window similar to those in the S.
The West Tower (13½ ft. by 12½ ft.) with the
spire (Plate 37) is of early 14th-century
date; the tower is of three stages with a
moulded plinth and moulded cornice with maskcorbels at the base of the spire. The two-centred
tower-arch is of four orders, the two middle
orders hollow-chamfered and dying on to
the side walls, the inner order chamfered and
springing from moulded corbels with maskterminals and the outer order hollow-chamfered
and continued down the responds; the moulded
label has mask-stops and on the wall above are the
marks of an earlier high-pitched roof of the nave
before the clearstorey was added. The N. and S.
walls have each a window of one pointed light
with a moulded label. The W. window is uniform
with those in the side walls; the W. doorway has
a two-centred and richly moulded arch, of three
orders, with a moulded label and mask-stops;
the moulded jambs have each three shafts with
moulded capitals and bases. The second stage
has, in the E. wall, a square-headed opening to
the roof. The N. and S. walls have each a round
panel with continuous moulded reveals and label
and trefoiled cusping; in the W. wall is a round
window of similar design to the panels. The bell-chamber is undivided internally from the stage
below and has on each wall an external wall-arcade
(Plate 35) of three bays with moulded two-centred
arches and labels with beast and head-stops;
the shafted jambs have moulded capitals and
bases; the middle bay in each wall is pierced by
a transomed window of two pointed lights with a
plain spandrel; the side bays on the E. wall have
cinque-foiled heads with foliated points in one
bay and with three carved heads in the cusps of
the other bay; the side bays on the N. wall have
trefoiled heads with foliated points; those on the
S. wall have cinque-foiled heads with carved heads
and foliage in the cusps; the side bays on the W.
wall have trefoiled heads with foliated points
and one carved head in each. The spire is ashlar-faced and has broaches at the base with a marked
entasis and the stumps of pinnacles at the angles.
There are three tiers each of four spire-lights set
in the cardinal faces of the spire; the windows
of the lowest tier are each of two tall transomed
and pointed lights with pierced spandrels in a
two-centred head under a gable; the shafted
jambs have moulded capitals and bases; the
windows of the second tier are each of two pointed
lights with a quatrefoil in a gabled head; the
windows of the top tier are each of one trefoiled
light in a gabled head.
The South Porch is of late 15th-century date
and has a two-centred outer archway of two
moulded orders, the outer continous and the
inner resting on attached shafts with moulded
capitals and bases; the moulded label has head-stops. The side walls have each a window of
two cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head with
moulded reveals and label and set in an internal
recess, with a four-centred head.
The Roof of the nave is dated 1862 but rests
on 15th-century stone corbels carved with angels
holding shields; the four bosses, under the tie-beams, may also be old but are now painted.
Fittings—Bells: five; 2nd and 3rd by Edward
Newcombe, the former dated 15(3?)5; 5th by
Robert Oldfield, early 16th-century and inscribed
"Celorum Xpe placeat tibi Rex sonus iste."
Bracket: In chancel—on S. wall, carved with
figure holding a book (?), mediæval. Coffin-lid:
under N.E. buttress of N. aisle—two fragments
with remains of cross, 13th- or early 14th-century.
Door: In S. doorway—of ridged and overlapping
battens, nail-studded and with strap-hinges, early
16th-century. Monuments: In S. aisle—on E.
wall, (1) to William Stevenson, 1711, stone tablet
with entablature, broken pediment and enriched
apron. In churchyard—S.E. of chancel, (2) to
Thomas Turner, 1706, head-stone; S. of porch,
(3) to George Robinson, 1683–4, head-stone;
loose against tower, (5) to Phillip Ostler, 1656(?),
head-stone. Piscina: In chancel—recess with
re-set moulded head, quatre-foiled drain and wooden
shelf, 14th-century. Scratchings: on outer arch-way of S. porch, masons' marks, late 15th-century.
Sundials: On S.W. buttress of S. aisle, scratched
dial. On S. buttress of tower, round dial. Miscellanea: In tower—piece of 15th-century window-tracery.
(2). Fox and Hounds Inn and tenement,
100 yards N.N.E. of the church, is of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are thatched. The northern of the two houses
was built early in the 17th century and has a
projecting wing on the E. added c. 1700; the
southern house was built in the 17th century.
Some of the timber-framing of the N. house is
exposed and the central chimney-stack has four
square attached shafts on a square base with a
tile capping. Inside the same building is an
original moulded ceiling-beam. The southern
house has chamfered ceiling-beams.
(3). House, on S.W. side of the road, 180 yards
S. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed
and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built
c. 1700 and has some original chamfered ceiling-beams.