13. BURY. (D.c.).
(O.S. 6 in. XIV. N.E.)
Bury is a village and parish adjoining Ramsey on
the S. The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of the Holy Cross stands
to the E. of the village (Plate 15). The walls
are of stone rubble with dressings of Barnack stone;
the western annexe was ashlar-faced; the roofs are
covered with slates and tiles. The Nave with the
W. doorway and chancel-arch belong to an early
12th-century aisleless church. About 1210 the
North Aisle was added and the N. arcade built.
The West Tower was added c. 1250. The North
Aisle was re-built probably in the 14th century.
About 1400 the Chancel was re-built and the S.
wall of the nave is perhaps of the same period.
Late in the 15th century the large West Chapel was
added W. of the tower, perhaps to act as a buttress
to it. Probably in the 16th century the chancel
was shortened and the E. wall re-built. The church
was restored in 1889 and the South Porch is modern.
The church has good 12th-century detail in the
chancel-arch and W. doorway, the W. tower is a
fine example of 13th-century work and the W.
chapel is unusual both in position and arrangement.
Among the fittings the lectern is noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (27 ft.
by 14½ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N.
wall is a window of c. 1400 and of one cinque-foiled
light, carried down below a transom as a 'low-side';
it retains its oak shutter but is plastered internally;
against the E. buttress is the jamb and part of the
head of a destroyed 15th-century window, showing
that the chancel has been shortened. In the S.
wall are two windows, the eastern of the 15th
century and of two cinque-foiled lights with a
quatre-foiled spandrel in a four-centred head; the
western window is similar to that in the N. wall
and also retains the shutter of its 'low-side';
the 15th-century doorway has chamfered jambs and
four-centred arch with a moulded label; against
the E. buttress are remains of a window, similar to
that in the N. wall. The early 12th-century
chancel-arch is semi-circular and of two orders on
the W. face, the inner having two broad rolls on
the soffit and the outer with a single roll-moulding;
the responds (Plate 33) have two half-round
shafts on the reveal with moulded bases, chamfered
and grooved abaci and capitals carved with basket-ornament having foliated terminations; the inner
capital has been partly cut away for the screen;
the outer order of the responds has a free shaft
with moulded base and cushion-capital.
Bury, the Parish Church of the Holy Cross.
The Nave (48 ft. by 19½ ft.) has a N. arcade of
c. 1210 and of three bays with wide two-centred
arches of one hollow-chamfered order springing at
each end from moulded imposts each supported on
three moulded corbels; the octagonal columns
have moulded bases, square plinths, moulded
capitals carved with stiff-leaf foliage and square
moulded abaci. The S. wall has, in the lower
range, two 15th-century windows, partly restored
externally, and each of three cinque-foiled ogee
lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred head
with a moulded label and casement-moulded splays;
the S. doorway has a re-set mid 13th-century arch
of three moulded orders and with plain chamfered
jambs. The clearstorey has on each side three
windows of c. 1400 and each of two cinque-foiled
lights in a square head, under a segmental-pointed
arch; below the parapet on each side are two
grotesque gargoyles. In the W. wall, now covered
by the tower, is an early 12th-century doorway
(Plate 34) of three orders, the two outer roll-moulded and round and the inner plain with a
lintel and a tympanum filled with square stones
set diagonally; the chamfered label has diaper-ornament; the jambs have each two free shafts
with moulded bases, chamfered and grooved
abaci and cushion or scalloped capitals with
concentric ring-ornament on the vertical faces.
The North Aisle (7½ ft. wide) has one window in
the E. and three in the N. wall, all of c. 1400, and
set in earlier openings, apparently heightened; they
are each of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head
with a segmental outer order; the N. doorway is of
the 14th century; it has chamfered jambs and two-centred arch with a moulded label and returned
The West Tower (11 ft. by 10 ft.) is of mid
13th-century date and of three stages (Plate
31) divided by moulded string-courses and
has an embattled parapet with three large
gargoyles at the angles; the fourth, at the
N.E. angle, is missing. The ground-stage was
formerly open to the churchyard on the N., S. and
W. and has in each of these faces a two-centred
arch of two orders, the inner chamfered and springing from moulded corbels; the outer order on the
N. is chamfered but on the S. and W. it is moulded;
the inner order of the N. arch has been removed;
the corbels of the W. arch are carved with 'stiff-leaf' foliage; all three arches have more or less
modern blocking, that on the S. containing a
window and that on the W. a doorway. Across the
N. and S. faces of the tower are chases indicating
the former existence of a pent-roof against them
but evidently posterior to the original structure;
against the W. face are similar marks of a gabled
roof anterior to the erection of the W. chapel. The
second stage has in the N., S. and W. walls a very
tall lancet-window with jambs and head of two
orders, the inner chamfered and the outer moulded,
except the N. window, which has both orders
chamfered; the moulded labels have mask-stops;
The lower part of the N. window, below the added
pent-roof, has been widened to form a doorway.
The bell-chamber has in each wall two lancet-windows with jambs and head of two chamfered
orders and a moulded label with mask-stops; this
stage has a stone roof with eight chamfered ribs
meeting in the middle and squinches across the
angles of the tower.
The West Chapel (21½ ft. wide) has disappeared
except for the ruined portions adjoining the tower.
It is said to have been 35 ft. long. It was of late
15th-century date, ashlar-faced and with moulded
offsets to the buttresses. The chapel has an under-croft-roof with a flat segmental vault of rubble of
which small portions in the E. angles remain.
Adjoining the E. buttress of the chapel on each side
is the moulded jamb of a former window.
The Roof of the N. aisle is plastered on the
soffit but the lower parts of four old curved
braces are exposed.
Fittings—Bells: three; 2nd inscribed "Ave
Maria" in Lombardic capitals, possibly by William
Rufford, 14th-century; 3rd by Charles Newman,
1700. Chest: In nave—of oak, with panelled
front and fluted frieze, shaped brackets to front
legs, c. 1620. Cross: In churchyard—S. of chancel,
stone rectangular base of cross with socket for
shaft, part of head loose, mediæval. Font: of
freestone, originally square with conventional
carving on sides, late 12th-century, angles cut off
and carving mostly effaced; round stem with
necking and base added probably in the 13th
century; three staples for fixing cover. Glass:
In chancel—in N.W. window, border to head of
light, of crowns with blue and red glass, also
quarries with diaper-design in yellow, c. 1400,
in situ. In N. aisle—in E. window, round heads of
both lights, border of yellow crowns, several pieces
of lozenge-design and several quarries as in chancel-window, partly in situ; in N.E. window, similar
border of crowns round most of E. light, also two
fragments with larger crowns and part of a monogram; in middle window, two pieces of lozenge-ornament; in N.W. window, border of crowns and
blue glass to W. light, also some diapered quarries,
all c. 1400, partly in situ. Lectern: book-rest
(Plate 32) of very thin oak boards with
carving out of the solid, front with five
trefoiled arches with shafts and foliage, board
cut off at ends, spandrels at one end with
trefoiled ogee-headed opening, at other end
carved oak-leaves; on desk, a border of running
foliage and a square of foliage in the middle,
slender octagonal post with moulded capital, early
14th-century, partly repaired and post perhaps
later. Lockers: In chancel—in N. wall, two, one
above the other, rectangular, with rebated reveals.
Monuments: In churchyard—S. of church, (1) to
William, son of John Campion, 1698, low table-tomb; (2) to John Campion, 171–, low table-tomb; (3) freestone coped slab with inscribed
shield, superimposed, and large scrolled top,
17th-century, inscription defaced; (4) to Thomas
Bestor, late 17th-century, head-stone; (5) small
head-stone, inscription defaced, late 17th-century;
(6) head-stone with round head and illegible
inscription on shield, c. 1700. Niches: In W.
chapel—in E. wall, flanking tower, two with
defaced tabernacled heads and vaulting, side
shafts and pedestals carved with defaced beasts,
15th-century. Piscina: In chancel—stone with
sunk drain set in modern recess. Plate: includes
an Elizabethan cup with a band of engraved
ornament, marks obliterated. Recess: In chancel
—S. of chancel-arch, plain square recess. Screen:
(Plate 33) Under chancel-arch—of five bays,
including doorway, with hollow-chamfered posts,
chamfered rail and moulded head, close lower
panels, those of S. each with two cinque-foiled
heads and foliated spandrels, open upper panels
with trefoiled ogee and sub-cusped heads with
tracery, doorway with cinque-foiled ogee head
and tracery, 15th-century; brattishing and
heads of N. close-panels, modern. Seating: In
nave—seventeen pews with square bench-ends
having moulded edges and moulded rails, buttressed back to one pew, 15th- or early 16th-century, made up with new work. Miscellanea:
Built into W. wall of tower—two head-corbels
and a defaced fragment with foliage, 13th-century.
Condition—Poor, some stonework much
weathered, tower has an old settlement towards
the W. and pointing is very defective.
(2). Manor House (Plate 15), opposite
the church, now two tenements, is of two storeys
with attics; the walls are of rubble with some
timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. It was
built probably late in the 16th century. The two
chimney-stacks have each three square shafts
with a moulded base. Inside the building there
is a doorway with a four-centred head at the
foot of the stairs which retain one square newel
with a shaped top. There are some exposed
The following monuments unless otherwise
described are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Several of the houses have
exposed ceiling-beams and original chimney-stacks.
(3). Cottage, N.W. of the church.
(4). Range of three tenements, on the S. side
of the road 340 yards W.N.W. of the church, has
been refaced with brick. The original chimney-stack has a cross-shaped shaft, set diagonally.
(5). Range of three tenements, 40 yards W. of
(4), has been faced with brick.
(6). Range of four tenements, on the N. side of
the road, N. of (4). The westernmost tenement is
a later addition.
(7). Cottage now part of house, 80 yards N. of
(6), has been faced with brick and completely
(8). House on W. side of road, 80 yards W. of
(7), is of two storeys with attics. The timber-framing is exposed at the ends.
(9). House and barn, 200 yards S. of (8). The
House has a later addition at the back. The
central chimney-stack has grouped diagonal shafts.
Inside the building one room has original panelling.
In the front wall of a barn adjoining the house is
a stone inscribed /?/ 1675.
The Barn N. of the house has exposed timber-framing on the S.
Condition—Of both, good.
(10). Cottage, two tenements, 100 yards S.S.W.
of (9), has a central chimney-stack with grouped
diagonal shafts. The roof is covered with corrugated iron.
(11). Cottage, two tenements at Owl's End,
140 yards S.S.W. of (10), has a central chimney-stack similar to that of (10).
(12). Mound, about ¼ m. S. of the church, is
roughly circular, 75 ft. in diameter and 5 ft. to 6 ft.